Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal Night Dress

I'm booked on the Infinity and was wondering if a suit was absolutely required for formal nights. I have some great looking sport coats (California formal wear) and hate to have to buy a suit for only two nights.
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Formal Night Dress

Lee wrote:
>
>
>
> I'm booked on the Infinity and was wondering if a suit was
> absolutely required for formal nights. I have some great
> looking sport coats (California formal wear) and hate to have
> to buy a suit for only two nights.

Lee.. the short answer is NO.. a sports jacket, shirt and tie will do. Have seen lots of these on formal nights.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 28th, 2001, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Hi Lee,
I think it's not necessary to buy a new suit...I think what you have is perfectly fine....one thought you might consider if you do want to dress up for formal night: rent a tux from cruiselineformals.com (I think that's right.) It's about 85 dollars for the week and you don't have to lug it around. It will be waiting for you in your cabin and then you just leave it there at the end of cruise and they will pick it up...seems a pretty convenient alternative...then you wouldn't have to pack more than one sport coat....
Old October 28th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe you can also rent directly from Celebrity. Though my hubby didn't do it last time we went, I think that he will this time. I think that the info comes with your docs.
Old October 28th, 2001, 07:03 PM
AR

Kuki--

I expect that given the way dress codes are enforced these days, you could wear your antlers and your drawers on formal nights and get away with it.

However, at least some fellow passengers appreciate those who adhere to the published dress codes. It makes for a more festive evening. In a world of "how little can I get away with," and "how many corners can I cut," going the extra mile represents a touch of class.

Celebrity seems to be one of the last bastions trying to uphold the traditions of the sea, and I like that. Those who do not wish to dress on formal nights, in my opinion, should eat in their rooms or book on a line that has other informal dining options.

AR
Old October 28th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default AR...You're the MAN!!!!!!! :) nm

none
Old October 28th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Lee, I think every man should have at least one nice suit in their closet for special occasions. You may be surprised how good it makes you feel to look sharp on formal night. Remember what those great cruisers ZZ Top said ....every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.....
Semper Fi
Old October 28th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

AR wrote:
>
> Kuki--
>
> I expect that given the way dress codes are enforced these
> days, you could wear your antlers and your drawers on formal
> nights and get away with it.
>
AR..
We actually have sequined antlers coming for everyone on our CruiseMates New Years Cruise<G>

I DO agree with U though!!!.. it's nice to see folks go out of the way a bit to dress, and it does add to the ambience.
The reality of what is going on may be a bit different from what we prefer though. On many of my recent cruises a sports jacket, shirt and tie on formal nights have been quite common on formal nights.

This is actually why I responded to the question with a short answer, rather than including my opinion....... But, u can't get away with anything on these boards..
Regards,
Kuki
Old October 29th, 2001, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Ain't dat da troot!!!!

Old October 29th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Rickster

I always get tux'd on formal nights!
Old October 29th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Admiral

There are two formal nights if you rent a tuxedo do they give you two shirts and do you get shoes with the outfit. When do you order it and get fitted and what is the cost pray tell.....
Old October 29th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Admiral

You can order the tux from the cruise line when your doc's arrive. You may also elect to rent the shoes as well. You supply the measurements! Your suit and accessories will be waiting for you when you board. No heavy bag to carry coming or going from your cruise. There are also independent companies referenced on these boards.
bon voyage
Old October 29th, 2001, 08:45 PM
Mike C

Although it may not be required to wear a tux on formal nights, a black or navy suit is the minimum expected from your table mates. I live in the Bay Area and sportcoat/slack outfits work in alot of cases, but not the best restraunts/hotels. Consider the formal nights like going to a rehearsal dinner for your best friends wedding. You show respect for those you are dining with.
Old October 29th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

how 'bout a duckt tape tux and a duckt tape dress for the formal night
it worked for homecoming and i also go to a cam where duct tape is the official tape of camp
we have at least 2 rolls of it on our bookbags
we make braclets ankletts headbands belts neclaces shoes hats boats(with cardboard) rings book covers and more
Old October 29th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Mike C

I certainly hope that either you book Carnival for your future cruises or that I don't sit at your table.
Old October 30th, 2001, 10:07 AM
AR

Keep in mind also, as has been said many times here, that the for the price of two or three rentals, you can buy a nice tux. So if you ever plan to cruise again, or have any other reason to wear a tux, it's a good investment.

I wind up climbing into mine once or twice a year apart from cruises, so I've gotten my money's worth vs. rentals many times over.

AR
Old October 30th, 2001, 09:31 PM
chellie

Default Re: AR...You're the MAN!!!!!!! :) nm

Yes he is!!! I am still chuckling over his review of the Olympic Voyager transatlantic cruise he took. Wasntthat the content was funny; it was the way that he laid it out!!! Will look forward to many more AR reviews!!!!