Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2001, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Default Baltimore sailings

Ant thoughts on what the Galaxy is like, I'd appreciate! Afyer hearing the announcement this ship will sail out of Balto., I am VERY interested, ports of call sound nice! Thank you! Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2001, 04:44 PM
Lillian

Default Re: Baltimore sailings

Its a beautiful ship. You can go to the page of celebritycruises.com and find the Galaxy ship and there are some pictures. You will love it

Lillian
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:02 PM
Mary Lou

Nancy:
I loved Galaxy. Of course it was also my first cruise so I may be a little partial. I, too, am excited that she is sailing out of Baltimore.....only a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I'm definitely going to look in to that one.
Let us know if you decide to try it. I'm sure you would have a great time. Celebrity is first class, IMHO.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old November 3rd, 2001, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Celebrity delivers a terrific product.

I'm excited about the Baltimore sailings and already have the October Fall Foliage cruise on my mental calendar.

The Dundalk Marine Terminal is a total hoot. Almost worth the trip if you were sailing on the S.S. Minnow !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old November 4th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Passenger

I'm pretty happy with the new itinerary and are in the process of switching from 11 days on Paradise to the Galaxy. A 3 hr drive and a 1 hr cheap flight. What is the best (cheap) way to get from BWI to the ship? Also, where is the pier? Is near the inner harbor? Thanks Roger
Old November 4th, 2001, 07:53 PM
AR

After sailing a lot of other lines, it was a repositioning cruise about three years ago on the Galaxy from San Francisco to San Juan through the Canal that got us hooked on Celebrity. Galaxy is one of the nicest ships you'll find.

Celebrity's market positioning is to cater to a more adult--but not necessarily an older--crowd. You'll not be herded around incessantly, and there are minimal PA announcements on the ship. The assumption is that you know what you want to do, or that if you don't, you'll ask. If you do ask, you'll usually get full, complete and very friendly responses. Food is generally a cut above most other lines, there's an emphasis on good art aboard all the ships, and the vessels are always immaculate. The dress code tends to be a bit more formal than other popularly-priced lines, and amenities include such things as martini bars and cigar lounges. Compared to some other lines, you're likely to find a greater percentage of seasoned travelers who enjoy exploring the world in many different ways, including cruising. On some runs, you'll also find a more international crowd on Celebrity, which is always fun.

I noticed today that the new Conde Nast Traveler rankings are out and Celebrity is rated #2 in the large ship category, behind only Crystal, which is in a much more expensive price bracket.

AR
Old November 6th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Hi, Roger ...

Probably the best way to get from BWI to the pier is one of those "Super Shuttle" type operations unless you have a bunch of people in which case a private car service (one price fits all) would be a better deal.

The marine terminal is not far from the Inner Harbor but you sort of can't get there from there. Zoom around on the Internet for one of the mapping sites and you can see the problem. The Inner Harbor is a lot of fun and, if you get in early, it's worth the cab ride and the wander. PLUS you can grab lunch at Phillips' and enjoy our feisty Chesapeake Bay blue crabs !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old November 7th, 2001, 11:54 AM
JimG

I'm ready for a northern sailing. Still waiting for exact dates and ports. Hoping for overnight Quebec stop. AND I'm only a 1 1/2 hour drive from the port. I was there once for an overnight Rembrandt disaster.