Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Default Our Military

Just want to say thanks to all our Military Men and Women who help make it possible for Americans to enjoy the "good life". I cry with you for your pain of separation from your families and praise you for willingly putting yourselves in harms way for your country. I wish I could be beside you, once again, shoulder to shoulder my Brothers-in Arms.......but since I can't, I pray for your safety during these times of danger. Bless you all and Bless America!
Semper Fidelis
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Sandthrush

Default Re: Our Military

Nicely put Rick, my sentiments exactly!
Old November 4th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Mike C

I agree completely with your sentiment. However do you think that this post would be more appropriate somewhere other than a Celebrity Cruise board.
Old November 4th, 2001, 10:43 PM
sailinglisa

I think it is totally appropriate here - because of the servicemen and women's sacrifice, we are able to enjoy our cruises and vacations.
Old November 4th, 2001, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Rick you can post this any where or time you want I agree with you 100%. Your post just re affirmed that there are dedicated and loyal americans out there. To be posted on a more appropriate site other than Celebrity Cruise lines is hogwash. RIck I too am a veteran and if it were not for us veterans there would be know I mean NO sites to post anything. Keep posting brother where ever and when ever you see fit.
Old November 5th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Mike you just don't get it do you. I am not surprised .
Old November 5th, 2001, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Thanks Paul. Paul thanks for serving our country. You are right....it's because of vets like you and millions others that makes all this possible. Anyone who thinks this is'nt an appropriate place to thank our military men and women just don't "get it".
Semper Fidelis my Brother
Old November 5th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Passenger

I, too am a veteran and I think your post is most appropriate. God Bless our military and keep them safe.
Old November 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself. God Bless America. and God Bless our Soldiers.
Old November 5th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Carole Dunham

The military and the safety of our wonderful country and the sacrifices our brave men and women give for us is always appropriate. I'm not in my usual hometown of Miami but I'm in Washington, DC right now visiting my daughter. We just returned from New York and of course, visited the site of the WTC. It is beyond my worst nightmare. I am grateful beyond words for our military for keeping us so safe since the attacks of these vicious criminals.

Carole
Old November 5th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Mike C

I guess I really don't get it, whatever "it" is. This board was developed for the sole purpose of discussing issues regarding cruises on a particular cruise line. So excuse me if I don't see relevance in giving thanks to our men and women in the military on this particular board. I recognize that without their brave service that we would not enjoy the freedom to travel. But can we keep the posts to a lighter tone. We a surrounded by reminders of this conflict in every form of media. I would like to keep this a place to escape now and then.
Old November 5th, 2001, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Mike, are you an American? You are the only one that has shown negativity towards Ricks post. If you are an American I think you should go to the nearest mirror and take a good look at yourself, you should be ashamed of yourself. Let us just end it at that. To the rest of the true Americans that posted on this subject, Thank you for your loyalty , you are true and proud Americans you do not need to look into a mirror to see who you are, we know.....
Old November 5th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Benjamin Smith

Etiqutte for off-topic posting is to place OT before the topic. Mike is right in stating this is a cruise forum that some may want to use for escape from weighty realities here and abroad.

And for the record I think diversity, many of us being sons and daughters of immigrants from all over the globe, and dissent and freedom to express ourselves as we see fit is one of the most valuable aspects of being American and there is absolutely no such thing as a "true" American.
Old November 5th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Leo

Move over Mike, Benjamin wants to share your mirror
Old November 6th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Mike C

Leo, I am slightly confused as to why you find Benjamin Smith's comments and mine vain. Patriotism can be celebrated in many ways just like religion. There is an appropriate time and place for everything.
Old November 6th, 2001, 05:23 PM
hctjdc

I was comforted by the unity on this board just after 9-ll. Slowly, some of us are trying to get back to our routines. Here in NY there are still funerals & memorials. While I enjoy talking cruise as a way to relax & exchange info., I also do not object to being reminded even here of the serious times we face. As travelers & cruisers we could have been victims too. The jobs being done by our servicemen & women, & firefighters, EMTs and police is outstanding! I hope all of them return safely to enjoy the more fun things in life! I think some just like to argue on & on....it's a way to de-stress. Anyhow let's move on folks!
Old November 6th, 2001, 07:55 PM
First Mate

I am sorry that I become a hard liner. I did my time under fire, and fear, night fights and death. I was there to be counted. I did not run to Canada or else where. End it . I will not lower myself to you two, Mike and Benjamins levels. You will not here from me on this board again. I have pride and proud to be an American.
Old November 6th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Benjamin Smith

I have to say this about the heroic and hard-working citizens of New York and outside of NYC that came to help after the attack on the WTC and the resulting disaster. Many of them are breathing in very toxic air in their 12 hour shifts and are experiencing adverse health effects from working in this disaster area. They also have experienced worse than their worse nightmares in what they've witnessed at "ground zero". These men and women need counseling, and perhaps long-term counseling. I hope we follow up their stories 5 to 10 to 15 years from now.

I also want to say this about the military. I saw a documentary on the failed operation in Somalia and the military personnel that experienced this operation will never be the same. They'll adjust but they will have to live with nightmares and feelings that most of us will not. They need counseling, and many in the military that have to go to war experience horrors that we will not. Also, the people living in that land, in the case of Afghanistan a war ravished horrible country under a despotic government, are breathing in the horrible air from the air assaults we are currently conducting, plus some are being killed and maimed as well from various ordnance in this war.

One final thing that most people are not considering or even talking about. Before September 11th most Americans were not very familiar with the Taliban, yet we all know who they are now. While many heard the name Osama bin Laden most of us did not realize what he was about - and most still don't know very important facts about him. He was an unknown which is precisely the problem now. There are people who are even more dangerous than Osama bin Laden - who I don't believe should be seen as the personification of terrorism, for me Dr. Ayman al Zawahiri and Mohammed Atef are more dangerous, and maybe even more committed. There are people who are very dangerous, mostly unknown by the people of the US, who will respond in some way to the war in Afghanistan. Wars have repercussions and long-term consequences. We won't know what type of negative inspiration we may be given to the unknowns at this time. We may find out in a few years or more from now. This is not only worth discussing but I think critical, and it is not being discussed in the mass media.

When our military personnel return we must make sure that we take care of their "agent orange", "gulf syndrome" or other maladies from this war that they may experience. We must continue to support them past and long past the war in not only medical help for their bodies, but the long-term psychological help that they undoubtably will need.