Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Josie

Default Wine on Board - FLL

appreciate any recent news/update about bringing wine on board Celebrity ships out of FLL. I wish all the cruise lines would get a standard policy! And, if I have to hide in all in my luggage I will but that's just silly.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Wine on Board - FLL

You can bring wine or champagne onboard with no problems. If you want to have it served in the dining room there is a corkage fee.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Admiral

What seems silly to me is bringing wine to begin with. You're probably spending several thousand dollars for this cruise... more or less... why not pop for a few extra bucks and order your wine from their rather extensive wine list? When you add in the corkage fee... charged at sea and in good restaurants on land when you bring your own wine... and figure in the relatively good price for wines on board, you're really not saving very much by dragging it on board... not to mention avoiding the bemused stares from others in the dining room.

Old March 6th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Admiral

$12 dollars per bottle corkage fee in dining room

Old March 6th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Wine on Board - FLL

To clarify - I don't bring it into the dining room. Wine is the preferred drink of my husband and I - not beer, not margaritas, not pina coladas, or scotch and soda. We drink wine by the pool, before dinner, after dinner, etc. We also always purchase a bottle, from the extensive wine list, with every meal.
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Sally Ship

Default Re: Re: Re: Wine on Board - FLL

You told them Josie!
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Josie... well put and understood. Good show!

Ernie

Old March 6th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Lets see...I can buy a bottle of Beringer White Zin for 5 dollars at the base or 24 dollars on ship....considering that bringing wine aboard is allowed......what should I do? ...We get no stares in dining room cause we have our room steward deliver it to the dining room shortly after boarding so it is chilled for dinner. I see nothing wrong with bringing your own wine. We also bring wine that we consume in our stateroom. Call me cheap but the cruiseline has no problem with us doing this.

Old March 7th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Familiar Face

We were on the Summit for our first cruise in November (and had a wonderful time, I might add! What a ship!) We had absolutely no problem bring wine and beer on board, both at the beginning of the cruise and at each of the ports. We are Canadian, so for us a $24.00 bottle of wine costs us upwards of $36.00! That adds up pretty fast. We didn't ever bring it to the dining room as nobody at our table of ten drank wine with dinner! I did order a glass for myself twice because, my goodness, you can't have lobster without a good chardonnay! We found the Celebrity staff to be accomodating in every way! Is every cruiseline like that??
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Josie

Hey nightnurse - I'm a fellow Canadian, and I know exactly what you mean about $24 becoming close to $40 real fast by the time you add the tip, etc.

I have never had any problem bringing wine on board at embarkation, but have had problems bringing it onboard in St. Thomas or other stops. Last Princess cruise I took in December they tried to take my case of 12 bottles away from me, until I gently "argued" with them and pointed out to them in their own literature it says wine, beer and champagne can be brought on board. A supervisor quickly confirmed my point of view and I was allowed to proceed no problem. Celebrity literature is mum on the subject, from what I've seen.
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Jazz

Ok, here is the deal. Bring it on the ship if you like in a carryon. Celebrity makes no issue with you bringing on wine, beer, pepsi...It you plan on having your wine at dinner, give it to your room steward and they will have it for yiu there when you dine..Been there, done that...Have a ball!! ))
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Dining at a table for ten, on the Summit, no less, at which no one drank wine is my idea of some kind of nautical hell. If you enjoy wine, as you say you do, I'd have left that table quickly... let them to swill their iced tea or what ever... and I'd have sought out a table with a more urbane population.

As for the penalty you pay with the Canadian dollar... well... that IS unfortunate, but a $12 (U.S.) loss on each bottle of wine, over 10 or 11 days on the Summit works out to about a $120 or so loss for you on the currency exchange. Not something that would stop me from enjoying my favorite wine at dinner.

Old March 8th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Familiar Face

I'm just saying that if there are less expensive options, and if the cruiseline does not object, why not take them? Sorry, but an extra $40.00/night for wine adds quite a bit to the cost of my cruise! And by the way, we thoroughly enjoyed our tablemates, and would not whether they drank wine or not with dinner keep us from sitting with them. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of dinner in the least...if I wanted wine, I had some!
Old March 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Jazz

Don't bother listening to what others think...Just do it and enjoy your cruise!! It is OK to bring in on on Celebrity!!!
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:37 PM
seabee

If you have wine left over on one night, the waiter will save it for the next night...is there a $12 fee for the second night as well?
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Buil Chamless

For decisions on whether Celebrity might have the wine you want, here is the Galaxy wine list from our 2/3/03 cruise:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/galaxy/galaxywinelist.htm

Happy Cruising,
Buil
http://www.cruiseclues.com
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Admiral

The Barolo and the Bunello are available on Costa too. I love the Barolo and generally order it the day before and ask to have it decanted about an hour before dinner. It needs some time. Great stuff. Costa, like Celeb, generally has lots of vintages that are not on the List... and the MD's can be of great help in finding something interesting.

Post Edited (03-11-03 07:35)
Old April 10th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Casey and Tom

So it seems there is no problem with bringnig on wine and beer, but what about liquor, is that treated differently? And if it is purchased at a port, can you carry it to your room or is it taken, to give back at the end of the cruise?
Old April 10th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I've brought liquor on board in my checked luggage and it was not confiscated. I think if you tried to carry it on they would have an issue with that.

When you buy liquor in the ports you have to turn it in as you reboard the ship. It will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise so you can pack it.

(Although I've seen people with bottles just walk past the table where the guy is taking liquor... you could probably sneak it in.)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Buil Chamless

When we went on the Galaxy, 2/3/03, as we embarked, we had 5 bottles of wine in our carry on luggage, for which they did not comment on or stop us in any way. During the cruise, we brought a single bottle onboard in each of two different ports. Both times it was sent thru the scanner. The first time it was in a plastic bag & no one stopped us. The second time it was in one of those liquor bottle packing boxes and a Celebrity employee seated just beyond the scanner stopped us & we had to give it up until the last evening of the cruise, when it was delivered to our stateroom, around 6PM.

Happy Cruising,
Buil
http://www.cruiseclues.com/galaxy