Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Clay

Default Just got back from Millie cruise!

We enjoyed our 11/4 cruise to Eastern on Millennium. Will post a review shortly. Survived Hurricane Michelle and took photos, too.
Would be glad to answer any questions about the cruise. Our cabin # was 9138, Cat. 2A.

clay b
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Just got back from Millie cruise!

Welcome back Clay. Milli is my favorite ship....I'm sure you had a great time!
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old November 12th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Clay,
Back!

Glad to hear you will be posting a review soon and that you enjoyed your cruise!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 12th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Kruizekrazy

We cruise the Mille Dec. 9th. Can't wait. Did you dine at the Olympic? If so, how was your experience? How was embarkation? I'll stop now, have a million more questions. Looking forward to your review and any tips about the ship. Hope your trip was wonderful.
Old November 12th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Marion Paris

Just booked Millie for February 10. We will be sailing on the Summit next week, November 23. Can't wait to her all about your cruise!

Welcome back!

Marion
Old November 12th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Suzan

Clay,,What deck were you on?? Thanks Suzan...
Old November 12th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

nice to read your message. we had a barfing good time!!

well, my family and I were on the chase ship of the Millenium, Celebrity's Mercury, the "cruise to nowhere chasing a hurricane". the cruise that followed Millenium around the eastern caribbean and envied their revised itinerary of four easterm caribbean stops (what's the mercury? chopped liver??). all the while, in search of a hurricane and we found it!! imagine, spending 7 1/2 days at sea, 20 hrs in total in only 3 ports, 6 of them in the dark, playing cat and mouse with Michelle while getting as close as 40 miles to the eye on the eastern side (20" seas & 90 mph wind gusts) and still watching the Millenium beat us to two ports where they left later than us from the earlier stop. I haven't had this much fun in a 24 hr time period in my life!!! imagine,seeing flying lounges, splashing deck pools, momentray weightlessness experienced when your feet rose off the floor below you slamming deck doors.... no wonder monday night's captain's dinner was cancelled, the dining room was 1/3 full and the evening show was cancelled. think maybe the captain was expecting a tomato shower from the afternoon lunch buffet leftovers for thoise who could eat??

a most exciting cruise to say the least and what did we get for this first class cruise of the stormy caribbean from a line who feels they are a step above Carnival in class, why a $50/cabin credit to buy their already inflated on-board prices. why, my wife even had the opportunity to buy motion sickness wrist bands for our sick family members back in the cabin and PAY for them. hmm.... was it my responsibility to attend to my sick family members while it was the captain of Mercury who recklessly chose to take us into the eastern side of a tropical storm out of Fort Lauderdale where the winds are at their worst?? i would think Celebrity would of bent over backwards to accomadate their sick passengers for what ever it took including sucking up the cost of $15 wristbands out of the ship store. well i have got to say that they did conveniently place motion sickness bags around the cafeteria dining area for those who couldn't make it to the outside rails!! it would of been nice if the passengers agreed to this decision or stay port side on go on a future cruise.

what a way a way to run a hotel on the seas!! as i write this memo, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Trump, Renaissance, Embassy Suites and Helmsley Properties are ringing Celebrity's phones off the hooks trying to get some suggestions on to how they can increase their odds for 5 star ratings from the Mobil Travel Guide in the customer realtions department.

i wanted to extend an invitation to the captain to visit a real 5 star hotel with me and see what 5 star service is all about but i couldn't find him. rumor has it Millenium's captain was transferred over to mercury before they departed for Aruba Sundat night because the mercury captain was relived of his duties upon arrival in Fort Lauderdale!!

oh well, there's always next year. i hope that Utah group didn't get scared of the high seas!! anybody else have this much fun on Mercury on last week's cruise.

ray.
Old November 13th, 2001, 11:32 AM
watergirl

I was also on the November 4th Mercury cruise and I couldn't agree with you morel
Booked this almost a year in advance and been looking forward to it for several months. We were on the Galaxy last year and had a wonderful experience and we had high expectations for the Mercury. Were we ever disappointed! I know somethings were beyond Celebrity's control, but I feel they had no consideration for the passenger's safety and comfort. I guess that's the one thing that frustrated me the most was that no one from the staff seemed to care.

It was bad enough we only got two stops (don't count stopping at San Juan after
6pm a stop), but finding out the other ships got the extra stops made it more frustrating. The final salt to the wounds was discovering some other cruise lines had actually switched from Eastern to Western Carribean to get away from the hurricane and Celebrity has us right in it!! I plan on writing Celebrity about the horrible experience. I'm not one to only write to complain, after our Galaxy cruise I wrote Celebrity to rave about how wonderful the cruise was!
Old November 13th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOUR HURRICANE RIDE. US OF THOSE IN THE FELLOW SHIP MERCURY CONSTANTLY ON YOUR TAIL IN SAN JUAN AND ST THOMAS HAD THE RIDE OF A LIFETIME COMING WITHIN 40 MILES OF THE EYE. MOST OF BOAT SEASICK WHICH WAS OBVIOUS WITH MON DINING AND CANCELLED CAPTAINS DINNER. CAPT WAS BEST TO STAY AWAY ANYHOO. THIS CAPT WAS NA A-HOLE TAKING A FULLY LOADED PASSENGER SHIP OF PASSENGERS AND CREW AND DOING WHAT HE DID. WE HAD NO SAY IN IT. WOW, 3 PORTS, A TOTAL OF 20HRS IN PORT (6 OF THEM IN THE DARK). WHILE WE DID THE BIG THREE (ST THOMAS, ST MARTAAN & SAN JUAN), AT LEAST YOU GOT NASSAU AND CATALINA.

BUT, WHEN YOU GOT IN, YOUR CAPTAIN REPLACED OUR CAPT 'CAUSE HE WAS RELIEVED OF HIS DUTIES RUMORS HAVE IT.

THESE GUYS WON'T SEE ME AGAIN. FOOD SUCKED, TABLE SERVCICE I'VE SEEN BETTER IN A JERSEY DINER QAND CUSTOMER RELATIONS, LET'S NOT GO THERE!!

TELL ME SOMETHING. YOU GUYS LEFT AFTER US IN FT LAUDERDALE, HOW DID YOU ARRIVE 5 HRS AHEAD OF US IN SAN JUAN????
Old November 13th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

i talked to celebrity today for almost 20 minutes and vented my frustration of the whole "there's nothing going on attitude" from the crappy $50 credits, lousy food, no drinks when food service is not arround, crappy ports, 20 hrs in port of which 6 were in the dark and we lost 2 in st thomas because of the INS BS. so for 180 hrs at sea, we were on cruise to nowhere via a hurricane. this cruise sucked and did not take US into consideration here both from a customer standpoint and our lives.

i demanded someone from their food & beverage dept call me and also guest relations. since i am both fields, i would like to suggest some ways they really can exceed expectations. i got screwed out of $75. they credited me $25 per person in my room and then removed 3 of the credits. they said it was a mistake. i said it was their inexperience in the hospitality industry whhere the customer is always right. jusy an overall nightmare. i hope many call celebrity. the particular person i talked to said she was the first mercury passenger she talked to although she did hear there were problems on the ship
Old November 13th, 2001, 09:19 PM
sailinglisa

While I realize this was "the cruise from hell" as you put it, I wonder if you have thought of the following. First off, all the crew on the ship had to endure the same conditions you did - were the stewards, waiters, bartenders, etc complaining about missing ports and days off? There are also a limited number of berths in each port and a finite number of shore personnel to handle these ships - if there are 6 berths and 7 ships that want to be there - someone can't go - it's a numbers game. As for the INS and clearing customs that is happening on all cruises that go to St. Thomas - not Celebrity's fault, blame Uncle Sam and Osama bin Laden for that one. And one more thought - if you would calmly and succintly outline your disappointments in this cruise and what you think you should be compensated (be reasonable with this) and address the letter to the President of Celebrity Cruises (I believe it is Rick Sasso), you might be surprised at what you will receive as compensation - but just remember if you are calm and reasonable, you have a much better chance of being heard than if you rant and rave. And yes, I am in the "customer service" business.
Old November 13th, 2001, 10:37 PM
LovetheSea

So sorry to hear about your horrible cruise. I have had three great cruises on the Mercury, and appreciate what a bad time you must have had. It is easy to say, other people suffered too. Lets all feel sorry for the crew. But, when you save up your money and take your vacation time to have the cruise of a lifetime and this happens, it is very dissapointing and upsetting. And the seemingly uncaring attitude from the company does NOT help the situation. I am sure there will be successful, fun cruises on the Mercury in the future. But it doesn't help the folks that didn't have one.
Good Luck next time
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:10 PM
clay

i liked the ship, too. I think I like the Mercury better. Especially for the Thalassotherapy pool. It's better on Mercury. We enjoyed it nonetheless.
Had rough seas, but recovered nicely. I now know that I do not get seasick. There were many people sick on the first two days. Hurricane Michelle caught up with us.

Now I want to go to Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii and New England, not necessarily in that order. ha!

hope to chat with you soon.

clay
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:13 PM
clay

We dined in the Olympic on Tuesday evening, an informal night. It was a three hour ordeal. I loved it.

Embarkation was great, no wait. We arrived at the peir at around 11:15 am and got right on board. However, we couldn't get in the cabin until about 2 pm. We just explored the ship and ate at the buffet at 1 pm.

I will explain more in my review.

clay
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:14 PM
clay

We were on deck 9, Cat. 2A, cabin 9138. Easy access to Ocean Cafe(buffet)
Old November 14th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

lisa:

ranting and raving would not be necessary if they were doing their job when it comes to the hospitality business & foodservice business. first of all, it WAS NOT my choice to sail that ship into a tropical storm-hurricane; eastern side i'll have you know. we were not given a choice. as far as i am concerned, i woulda bypassed the trip and sucked up the airfare to ft lauderdale for a later cruise. we were led to believe that the route we were taking was not going to be near the hurricane. that was fine. but, it was the captain who is not only responsible for the paying passengers but his crew. our lives were in his hands.

funny many of the other ships that had western itineraries did them with monday stops in key west. so, either you work for celebrity or missed my point entirely. i paid 4,800 dollars for a cruise and airlines of which the cabin stewards, waiter and busboy did their jobs as well as they could and were tipped per american express standards. they were rather new so i understand they need some work on remembering what the dining passengers like and consistent attention to the table for drinks, water, etc. i was at sea 180 hrs, only 20 in port so you have to excuse my attitude. know what, if some of the other many passengers spoke up who were just as upset on the boat, celebrity would have a public relations nightmare on their hands. you would see that this was not my imagination. i have video to prove it. the point i was trying to make:THESE GUYS DID NOT WANT TO ADDRESS THE FACT THEY HAD A HOT POTATO ON THEIR HANDS. let's poo poo it. it will go away!! it was business as usual on the ship. so, i am going to rant and rave, as you call it if they are going to ignore a very real live existing problem on their ship. again, you need to stay at a marriott, omni, sofitel, trump hotel, etc so you may understand what kinda service i am talking about. with them, the customer is always right. that is why people return and patronize them.

my point is i expect for things to be made right when it is not my fault they were wronged in the first place. it is not as if we were at sea when this all happened, WE WERE IN FORT LAUDERDALE. think we coulda waited overnight then maybe went to calica, bypassing key west?? hey, even with the eastern rte, think we coulda bypassed st thomas & st martann and head to grand cayman and then cozumel?? there was just no common sense here and most of all, that captain took everbody's lives into his hands.

by the way, i did call celebrity yesterday and spoke to a nice young woman. she said she had heard that there were problems on mercury from other agents but i was her first. she put me on hold for about 10 minutes then came back and i addressed the problems. all of them and she said she was writing them down. it was a civil conversation and it was left like this. i suggested she have their director of foodservice and customer relations give me a call. i also informed her my wife wrote a 6 page handletter onboard and attached it to their comments folder. she said they are read so that will remain to be seen if either of us are contacted. they offered cruise discount coupons. what good are they if the problems are not rectified. this discounts were not enough as far as i am concerned. now, if they are any kins of company who values their public image, they will contact me. she said it was not right i shoulda paid for those wrirstbands or the 3-$25 credits were removed from my statement. she did not say i am getting them back.

i am not quite sure where you work in the hospitality and restaurant industry but my exposure is to both of them directly for 27 yrs so i believe i know what i am talking about. for those of us who do not feel we must pay for a carbonated or alchoholic beverage to eat a slice of pizza at 11:00 at night, we should be accomadated. water, hot tea, hot chocolate or coffee are not what you drink with pizza. their food service woes is a whole another issue but when a FMC is involved, the final product is not usually a surprise!
Old November 15th, 2001, 11:28 AM
LovetheSea

First, I would like to let you know, I spoke to someone who definitely should know, about the change in Captains. The Captain of the Mercury was NOT releived of his duties because of any wrong doing by him. The new Capatin from the Millennium, Captain Iordanis Adamidis, is taking over the helm because he is more experienced in South America. He was the Captain of the Mercury last year, and is very familiar with the ship and itinerary.The previous Captain was due for his off/vacation time. Next, the Mercury does not go as fast as the new Millennium, so can't make it to ports as fast.
I read on Cruise Addicts that passengers abord the Century on Aug. 18, recieved vouchers for 1/2 off their next cruise, because of bad weather and missed ports. Maybe you can try getting that? If you read the contract YOU signed when you booked your cruise, you will learn that the company has the right to take you anywhere they feel they need to go.
Better Luck next time
Old November 15th, 2001, 12:43 PM
hctjdc

Sorry it was a nightmare, Vacations & cruises in hurriacane season are always a risk...sorry they could not avoid the bad seas but glad no one was seriously hurt. Had a great cruise on Mercury in March but went thru a severe storm the night coming into port--boat listed severly, dishes broke, place was flooded & engines damaged--those who cruised the following week had an awful time & missed a port...Hope you have a better time next cruise!
Old November 15th, 2001, 01:11 PM
LovetheSea

hctjdc...Funny you should mention the Mercury cruise in March? I was on that cruise! We got into San Juan a little late, missed Catalina Island all together, changed from Tortola to St. Thomas. I was dissapointed to miss Catalina Island. I was there on the Millennium and loved it.There were wet smelly rugs in one part of the ship, and one day they had this white powder covering the carpet on a large part of the ship to help the smell. But we still had a great time! We also only got a $50.00 per person onboard credit. I ended up putting it in a slot machine My worst memory of that cruise was the harrowing flight into Miami the night before. We circled the airport for an hour with lightening flashing all around us with lots heavy turbulance. That night there were 2000 lightening strikes in the Miami area.
Old November 15th, 2001, 02:02 PM
KatieKruiser

I would also second that information about the Captain of the Milliennium moving to the Mercury. I was on the 11/4 sailing of the Millie, and a very reliable source told us in conversation the very same thing......the Captain's wife!
Old November 15th, 2001, 07:55 PM
sailinglisa

Ray - I do not and never have worked for Celebrity. The point I was trying to make (and you obviously missed) is that you get better results dealing with people if you are calm and rational rather than going in with both barrels blasting (and from reading your posts I assumed that is what you were doing as you were blasting everyone and everything about this cruise.) I'm sorry you had a terrible cruise, and I am going to leave it at that.