Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2001, 12:04 AM
SUZAN

Default 1st Cruise,,Tips to make cruise,,GREAT

Hello..Taking my 1st cruise,,Dec 15th,,So. Caribbean Infinity,,I would like to hear any reviews,,tips, suggestions.. on what not to miss,,things to do onboard,,tips on shore excursions,,I don't want a link,,as I prefer personal reviews,,,,,also,,can you join the Captians club,,before the cruise,,and,,does anyone know exactly how much connect@sea,,costs,,? Thanks@
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 1st Cruise,,Tips to make cruise,,GREAT

You have to have cruised previously to join the Captain's Club. You can join once onboard, to get benefits for subsequent cruises.
Old December 2nd, 2001, 04:06 PM
Passenger

from what i have heard definetly worth it to join captaon's club. also if this is a special occasion there are special gifts and other things that can be pre-purchased, which i had when i cruised last for my honeymoon. all other things like shore excursions i recommend you purchase as you decide to do them. i have not cruised on the infinitybut, i hope you have a great time. cruising is wonderful!!!
Old December 3rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
jp garnier

Key to a great cruise for 2 people is to leave each other plenty of space and enjoy the special moments together. Early setting will ruin fine sunsets and beautiful late PM. Late dining can get tiring bc with a show, etc. it guaranttes a very late evening. Still preferable for me. If unhappy with anything, speak up and be taken care of, whether it be the steward, the dining room table or even the stateroom. I have had changes made bc. of smoke by the dock personnel. Individuals at the passenger desk are mostly useless. Remember that the features of the trip that affect you as a passenger are controlled by the hotel side of the staff and what might be unacceptable in a fine hotel is equally unacceptable at sea. Enjoy JP
Old December 3rd, 2001, 03:41 PM
Longboysfan

Start now getting clothes laid out.
Be ready to wait in Airport lines for 1/2 an hour. Have Walking shoes on.
Once off plane cruise ship personell will be there to meet you.
Ask agent as They used to route luggage WITH TAGS directly to ship.
In Puerto Rico the old town is just above the docks.
There are 2 dock areas. But if you get to the ship by 1 PM you have time to walk around.
They may provide a shuttle to old town if you are away a bit.
If you are in the middle of the old town area at dock do yourself a favor.
1) get on ship.
Get to room. Check on dinner reseverations. This should be in your room in you desk area. 2nd sitting to be sure you do not have to rush back from anything on-land.
You will not have luggage yet. Go upstairs to Resturant or buffet get a lite lunch. Get off ship and walk around a bit if there is time. If you are docked in town and the ship does not leave till late - ASK at the desk the sailing time. Go to one of the old forts up the hill then walk around - Forts close at 5:00PM. On the main street in front of the pier are shops.
Also there are some nice views from walking around. Also if you are in the new terminal area there is a Duty Free shop here. If you want a bottle of Champane or spirits of any type you can buy it here and brig it on board. They have wine chillers in the room or the steward will get one for you. You have gotten your cruise packet already in the mail and sent it back - i assume. Remember on the ship you can be as active as you want to be or sit at the pool and say next drink please. Sign for it and no problem till the end.
When you check in the line registers you against your credit card and posts anything you sign for on the ship to the card at the end.
They have a security system in place that takes your picture and hold it on file as you go on and off the boat.
I am pretty sure that the cruises that leave late in the night 11 PM or so. So if you want to walk arounf in town do so when you arrive.
When you get off the ship your no to ready to do this as you may be trying to catch your plane out. It may take up to 1 hour to process through the airport going out in Puerto Rico as they have no curbside check in. My friend just went and it took about an hour or so to go through the complete process.
If you think of anything specific just email me about it.
Have a great time. Hope your on a 6 + table seating for dinner.
Celebrity food is the best. If you want to split an enterr just ask them they will give it to you.
And I've had up to 5 lobster tails at the lobster night. Again just ask.
This is the line where your #1.
Enjoy.
l
Old December 3rd, 2001, 04:02 PM
Longboysfan

On the connect at seas??? Intranet - don't bother I've heard it's costs a bit much.
Bring a phone card if you want to call home. Do this off the ship.
Old December 4th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Admiral

1st. Packing tip: if you are a part of a couple - put one outfit for each occasion i.e. formal, casual and informal plus shorts & swim suit including proper shoes in the other person's suit case. If one bag gets delayed or lost you will still have some of your own clothes. Leave long dresses, pants & pant suits, his suit or blazer & slacks on light hangers and in plastic dry cleaner bags. This will prevent wrinkles and they are ready to hang as soon as you unpack. Unpack as soon as possible. In a carry on, include medication, jewelry, a shorts outfit and your casual outfit for that evening if possible. Again, don't forget the shoes! I once had a nice pants suit, but I was wearing sneakers and the shoes where in another bag.
2nd. Don't hesitate to ask your room steward for things you may need. They will be happy to assist or advise where you can obtain them. Use shampoo to rinse out undies, socks, t's, swimwear, etc. Room service will bring you juices, fruits, cork screw, even wine glasses if you need them at no additional charge. Don't forget to tip the server for room service at the time of service, as this person may not be your steward. $1 per person or more is adequate. Full breakfast, lunch or dinner may be ordered during regular dining room hours only. Room Service menu applies all other times.
3rd. If you are going to the alternative restaurant or desire spa treatments, make your reservations and appointments as soon as you board; telephone or in person. The 3rd. evening is usually Informal on Celebrity and dress for the United States is Informal; jacket with tie required not optional for men. Shorts are allowed in the main dining rooms in the daytime but not after 6 p.m. Please don't ask the "bar server" for your iced tea, lemonade or water at the buffet. That is self service just like the food. The Bar Server is for alchol, beer, soda, wine, etc. When you have a special request, just politely ask your server as soon as possible. Keep in mind that there are "language barriers" and sometimes things need to be explained carefully. Do attend a Wine Tasting if you have never tried or are experienced with different wines. It is a reasonable chance to experiment.
4th. Don't complain to your mate or other passengers. Take up your concerns or problems with the correct individual on ship as soon as possible, so a solution may be obtained. Don forget a picture ID. Keep it handy during your travels and while in port.
5th. Have a wonderful time. Don't pack your day with tours; balance each day so you have some relaxing time while experiencing things you don't usually do. Also, get off by your self and do something you want to do, you can meet your mate for dinner.
Bon Voyage
Old December 4th, 2001, 06:27 PM
jp garnier

Five lobster tails, really, have you no shame. I NEVER order more than 3 with a side of filet mignon, Now, that is class ! ! Seriously, my kind of guy and cruiser. JP
Old December 6th, 2001, 03:11 PM
prbhurst

Hi Susan,

Just got back from our 11/24 cruise on Infinity. Went with five other couples, and for most, it was our first cruise. All the tips you've heard so far are good, but I'll add just one more. We had things planned for all the islands, whether it was shore excursions or shopping. Next time, I would prefer to do one or two shore excursions, but try and hit the beaches more or hang by the pool. The days seem kind of hectic, and when coming back aboard I would see all the people laying out and reading, sleeping, etc. and wished I would have done that too. I guess balancing the sightseeing, shopping, etc. with relaxing on board is the key. Still, it was a great time!!