Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Jeri Ram

Default Millenium

I have just read a few posts about the Millenium rocking and rolling - is it worse than other ships? I am concerned as I do get seasick and am sailing later this month. Have had some problem on Princess ships - the Sun Princess and Star - but never too severe. . .
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Genie

Default Re: Millenium

Hello Jeri,
Just read your post. We just got back on Sunday from our cruise
on the Millennium and YES it really rocked and rolled. Very unexpected because the year before we were on the Mercury and only experienced
one nite that was a little bit rocky BUT this trip was unbelievable. People
who never were sick became sick and even I felt a little queezy one day and I never get sick. A lot of wrist bands were worn and a lot of Bonine
was taken. After we got back home it took several days for my
equilibrium to return. I did hear that there was a storm out there named
Imogene but don't have any details on this. BUT....still a ship that size
should not be rockin and rollin the way it was. Whatever happened to
the stabilizers is what we are wondering. It was hard to sleep at nite because of the rolling.
We are big Celebrity fans and belong to the Captains Club. Also,
one more thing to share with you. On several days, we all (went with
two other couples) noticed a definite sewer back-up odor. It was quite awful and apparently it was fixed but for a few days we all wish we had
clothes pins for our noses.
The food in the main dining room we felt had dropped in quality also.
We really had a fantastic, beautiful and great cruise on the Mercury but
never again on the Millennium for us!
Genie
Old December 7th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Snuckles

Genie, sorry to hear about your cruise problems. I'm not cruising until Nov 2002 on the same ship, I hope they have these problems fixed by then.Jeri Ram wrote:
>
> I have just read a few posts about the Millenium rocking and
> rolling - is it worse than other ships? I am concerned as I
> do get seasick and am sailing later this month. Have had
> some problem on Princess ships - the Sun Princess and Star -
> but never too severe. . .
Old December 7th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Ed S

Default Re: Millenium stability question

On the Nov. 18, 2001, Thanksgiving cruise we experienced moderate rocking on the first day, then smooth (and fast) sailing.

Weather that first day was clear with reported 20 knot winds and 12 foot seas. The rocking was about the same as we experienced on the QE2 in the north Atlantic with 40 knot winds and 20 foot seas.

Obviously the old-style ships must be better in rough weather (I would hesitate to take a newer ship transatlantic), but the newer ships are really no major problem unless one is really not a good sailor (you know who you are). The inside passage (not Gulf of Alaska) offers protected waters for poor sailors.

We were fortunate on Millennium in having a 2-deck outside cabin amidships -- the calmest cabins on the ship. The upper deck cabins rock more, being much farther from the center of gravity. Similarly, the main restaurant is calmer than the upper deck buffets.

We were delighted by the Millennium in every detail, and look forward to cruising on her sister ships.
Old December 7th, 2001, 11:49 AM
First Mate

I just got back Sunday as well. The boat was rockin, you could tell because when it was,there were barf bags at all the stairways, especially outside the restaurants. My wife was not seasick but felt a little queezy the whole trip. My mother in law was seasick the first day and then took a gravol before going to be and was fine. To the ships defence, there were 14 ft swales out there, the pool on the Millie looked more like a wave pool, but it was fun. I suggest taking Gravol or Dramamine aboard.

I also spoke to people on the RC & Carnival boats in St Thomas and they said it was much worse there with about 500-600 people in the medical office the same day. They also said the dining room was half empty the first couple nights as too many people were sick. Ours was definitley the most stable ship on the water. I felt fine the whole time, in fact I thought the gentle rocking put me to sleep at night. The crew we talked to also said that was the worst rocking they had in months, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:49 PM
jp garnier

Just spent a week on Millie, including one stormy day. She is a stable as any other ship. jp
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:57 PM
jp garnier

I think we are all referring to the same Monday, when in fact the pools were closed due to the high seas. My test is always how it feels in the Head when was seeks to shave without excess carving and I have had far worse than 11/19. Some people did apparently get quite sick. The far most interesting event was a turn to starboard when coming into San Juan which caused what I thought was very excessive listing to starboard. JP
Old December 8th, 2001, 12:30 AM
casavaha

I don't understand some people who continuely complain about
the Millenium. We just sailed transatlantic, 14 days. 5 days at
sea crossing the Atlantic. The food was as good on the 14th
day as it was on the first day. Ships roll, this is a 92,00ton
object in a large sea. We had a number of days where the
water in the pools would slosh over the edge onto the deck.
We had a balcony cabin forward. My only regret is that
Celebrity only has one ship doing transatlantic next year,
the Constellation, so we booked that. The Millenium is a great
ship, the crew, outstanding. I think that if you are worried about
getting sick, check the weather reports for the area you are
interested in and sail when the weather looks the most favorable.
Not everyone should cruise.
Book the Millenium, if you want to have a good time, you will. If you
want to find something to criticize you will find that as well.
No ship is perfect.
Have a great cruise.
Old December 8th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Passenger

I agree some people will always find fault. Having said that there are too many postings here and elsewhere finding fault with this ship. Enough to make one wonder. We are currently booked on the Galaxy but if our schedule would allow I would switch the Millenium for the itinerary. I don't scare off easily. Roger
Old December 8th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Genie

Snuckles....I sure hope they do have them fixed. Celebrity is our
favorite line and wouldn't consider any other. It's not a matter of finding fault here with "the Millie" but rather reporting a problem in response to Jeri who was concerned about getting sick. I had just returned home from this cruise and felt that Jeri deserved an "honest observation". Finding
fault is not my cup of tea...but truth telling certainly is.
Hope your cruise in November 2002 is splendid indeed.......Genie
Old December 8th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Jeri Ram

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. We are sailing at the end of the month and I love to cruise - just try and select a ship and timing that will be as smooth as possible. Have all the usual seasickness stuff to bring with me and have booked a mid ships cabin - I posted the question because when the Millenium was first out they did have stabilizer problems and I had heard they were fixed - then lately heard that the ship was again having problems. When I get back I will post about the trip. I know it will be wonderful - am counting the days!
Old December 10th, 2001, 12:42 PM
KatieKruiser

I sailed on the Millie the week of 11/4, right at the time of Hurricane Michelle. We were very close to the storm itself, at one point between 100-150 miles from the center of the storm. We had 20 ft. swells and 50+ mile winds. While the ship certainly experience alot of pitching (forward and back), there was surprisingly not as much rolling (side to side) as I thought there would be. It was a challenge sometimes walking down passageways and such, but considering the nature of the seas and the weather, I found that the ship rode pretty well. There were quite a number of passengers and crew that were sick, and we were very limited on our first day at sea from outdoor activities (there were none!), but considering what we were in, I am not surprised. I agree with the earlier post about the dining room. That seemed to be the one area where you really felt it if the seas were riding rough. Especially on the balcony area on Deck 5, which is where my table was located.

I have always heard that the transition from leaving Florida in the Atlantic to the Caribbean can be rough at any time of the year. Being prepared with some type of motion sickness medication and/or wristbands is always recommended, not just during hurricane season. You just don't know when you might run into rough seas.

Happy Sailing!