Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2001, 10:55 AM
SSSeaman

Default Just back from Galaxy cruise

Hi all, actually I returned on 11/30 (11/23 sailing) just haven't had a chance to write. This was my first Celebrity cruise and I must say it was wonderful. The Galaxy is a beautiful ship, I have read previous post stating she has become worn and not what she used to be. This was my first time on this ship, but I must say, I saw no signs of wear & tear. All public areas were kept immaculate, crew members were constantly cleaning all areas of the ship. I'm afraid I may be spoiled for future cruises though, we stayed in one of the Royal Suites. The suite was very beautiful and the butler service was outstanding. We had breakfast served in our suite every morning. It was nice not having to shower and dress before getting your first cup of coffee! The dinners in the Orion dining room were without question the best I ever had on a cruise. The wait staff was very professional and friendly.

My only complaint, because this cruise sails out of San Juan and because the travel industry is at an all time low, there was an extremely large amount of Puerto Ricans who paid ( I heard about $299pp) very little for this cruise. This is not the part that bothered me, it was their rudeness that disturbed me the most. I am not a racist person, but I did not appreciate the fact that these people refused to comply with simple common courtesy (oops, I'm Spanish, I didn't know I have to go to the END of the buffet line). I also did not like the fact that about 25 of them would march around the public area's singing a song in Spanish (I wish I knew what they were singing). Trust me, I did not let this ruin my cruise, I am a very tolerant person. I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A ARGUMENT REGARDING RACISM, I WILL NOT RESPOND TO REPLIES REGARDING THIS SUBJECT. I WILL BE HAPPY TO ANWSER ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE CRUISE.
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
kc

Default Re: Just back from Galaxy cruise

I am booked on the 11 night western caribbean from Baltimore on the Galaxy in September. We have a delux ocean view cabin on the Panarama deck. I have sailed celebrity once before on the Horizon, and I loved it, but I have heard that the Galaxy is much better. Would love to hear more about the ship when you have time.
Old December 8th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

SS.. Thanks for posting the review. I think rude people come in all shapes, sizes and nationalities. I can recall a couple of trips we were on with groups that just didn't get the fact the rules apply to everyone.

My business partner is just finishing up a cruise on the Century with 300 Mahjong playing fiends. I'd bet some of the other passengers returning will have some stories about this cruise too <G>

On occassion, cruising with "affinity groups" can impact a sailing.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 8th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Admiral

well said Kuki...thats what I tried to say unsuccessfully <G>
Old December 8th, 2001, 06:38 PM
SSSeaman

Thanks Kuki, I couldn't agree with you more. By the way, whats Mahjong?
Old December 8th, 2001, 09:23 PM
dezertcruzer (jennifer)

So, Kuki, does this mean we have to behave ourselves on the Let's Get Lei'd cruise??? (Just kidding!!)
Old December 9th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Tell me about the ports....what were the highlights. Also did you take any excursions sold by Celebrity...do you recommend them? Thanks.
Old December 9th, 2001, 03:35 PM
audrey

ugh, i just came back from the same cruise 11/30 and i have a lot of complaints.

let me begin:

my boyfriend and i arrived at the pan am pier at about 12:30. 5 minutes later we were in our rooms. i tell you no lie, there were no lines, even the people in the shuttle bus with us had magically disappeared to their cabins as well. wonderful! all other times i was always waiting in the heat - tired and hungry. our docs said boarding time was 2. i was very happy.
anyway you have to pay 20 bucks to take a cab to the town to see puerto rico because of how this stupid pier is situated in the middle of nowhere. (take note of this cause i have a lot to say about cab rides).

i went cheap and bought the guarantee 8 cabin and received a cat 4 on the 9th floor. (deluxe room with oceanview). it was ok. as for the galaxy itself, the layout was great, but i hated the artwork and decor. the Century is much brighter, and the Mercury more 'demure' for lack of a better word. my boyfriend said the orian dining room carpet looked like it belonged in a flophouse. i thought it looked more like candy corn, but anyway that was just our opinions. Still, I've always thought Celebrity had the most beautiful ships. Mercury is my favourite. (i haven't yet been on the millenium class ships)

the first night there was open seating. they corralled us in like cattle and i had a really bad seat where the floorboards seemed creaky. i mention this cause it seemed right in the line of the waiters path to the galley and they would be running back and forth and my whole chair would vibrate. it was so terrible! but yes, the food was still very good as always, and i've heard they've slipped up since being bought by RCCL, i didn't detect it. Oh for the other nights, our assigned seat was a table for 4 but there were only the 2 of us. It was downstairs right in the center part where the ceilings are really high. GREAT seats. No traffic, lots to look around at. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

as for the Puerto Rican people. I am half puerto rican, and live in New York. So, my other half is Asian, so I don't look so much Spanish. And again I mention this because i noticed also all the puerto rican people there. they were always polite with me, but i did notice that they always spoke to me in spanish - so assuming that was my primary language. i understand and speak spanish, but english is my first language. i found it odd though that it was almost as if spanish was the prevalent or official language on board. And those singing puerto ricans? I heard them too! i was sitting there lying out on the 8th floor deck in the back and they came.. dozens of them, singing and banging on drums or something. Anyway, if you were wondering they were religious songs, celebrating Jesus and such - i don't think they were Catholic though. There was some dialogue as well, and also that seemed deeply religious. Anyway, i thought that was rather rude as well, but what can you do... on the bright side, this ship seems only about 70% full. tons of space.

Now for the ports. What a disaster! i picked these ports because i was too used to doing the western caribbean itinerary, and wanted something different.

St Thomas was great. we ferried to St. John and was BY FAR the best part of the trip. i counted 10 people on the beach with us, and it was the most beautiful beach i saw in my life, w/ maybe the exception of tortola/virgin gorda in the BVI.

St. Kitts : this is where it all begins to unravel. All downhill from here. supposedly the pier in town was destroyed by a hurricane so they've got us docked in some factory looking port outside of town. so you have to take a cab into town. great. this place was pure squalor and everything was closed.

Barbados: it gets worse!! i went to barbados about 8 years ago and the pier was in town. again it's another cab ride into town because they have a new pier built again, large and grotesque with silly shops for unsuspecting tourists ready to drop lots of money. what's going on? the beaches sucked and everyone was trying to sell us drugs. and the cabs were expensive too. our cab guy kept trying to tell me to see and pet some monkeys for 60 bucks. I told him i had seen monkeys in gibralter so i would pass.. he got mad and wouldn't believe me.

Venezuela: WHY?? my boyfriend and i were excited to see what venezuela was like. we still have yet to find out. they let us off in another pier in el Guamache which was in the middle of nowhere. the beach that everyone said was great that is pretty and shallow had dead crab carcasses on the floor. it was hot as hell and cost 50 bucks to see the town. it takes an hour to get to the town. we dock at 9 and leave at 3. BUT wait! you tender in and the last tender leaves at 2:15. so that leaves you with very little time to see the town if you're willing to dish out that kind of money.

Aruba: finally! a normal place! we rented a car for 32 bucks. they charged 59 at the pier. (why is everyone trying to rip you off?!) and i walked across the street to the Sonesta Hotel and got it at my rate from Thrifty. This port was alright. the beaches not as nice as the last time i was there, but a hell of a lot better than anything here in NY.

Anyway, the cab rides and the drink prices on board were what pissed us off the most. the itinerary seems great on paper but totally sucks in real life.

My boyfriend's highlights were St. John, his new Movado watch that I bought him for cheap, the cauliflower soup which was a big surprise and the Blueberry ice cream served on the last night.

I enjoyed St. John, all the food, the pasta station (simple but tasty), the good weather, and the unbeatable price we paid for the trip.

This was by far the most complaints I've ever had on a trip. I still wish I was still on board though... you will enjoy!
Old December 9th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Well....lets see.......you complained about alot but you wish you were still there ??????????? lol....
Old December 9th, 2001, 07:37 PM
MAMK

Just wanted to make a comment on Barbados - my husband and I visited there a couple of years ago and loved it. A cab driver took us on a tour of the island and it was one of the most picturesque islands we've seen. Some of our best pictures were taken there. We're booked on the Galaxy next September out of Baltimore.
Old December 9th, 2001, 08:32 PM
dezertcruzer (jennifer)

Audrey,
I guess it just goes to show that a bad day cruising is way better than a good day doing much of anything else! Glad you enjoyed it, even though it obviously wasn't your favorite cruise experience.
jennifer
Old December 10th, 2001, 07:20 AM
kc

I am also booked on the galaxy in september. Are you booked on the 11 or 10 night? we are booked on the 11 night western caribbean on september 30.
Old December 10th, 2001, 11:35 PM
MAMK

Dear KC, We're booked on the same cruise as you - 9-30-02. It seems so far away, but it'll be here before we know it. I believe we are on the same deck as you are, but an inside cabin. This will be our third Celebrity cruise, we sailed on the Horizon about 5 years ago and on the Century this past September. Have a great cruise - hope we have good weather.