Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2001, 10:11 PM
Marvelous Mary

Default Vibration Problems on Summit?

Since reading about the Millennium vibration problem and associated seasickness, I have been feeling hesitant about our upcoming cruise on the Summit. Seeing that the Summit is a sister ship to the Millie, are the problems just as bad??
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Greg B

Default Re: Vibration Problems on Summit?

I was on the Summit on Nov 2nd and didn't feel many vibrations at all. Of course that's when the Hurricaine went through Cuba so we had some rough weather going out. Didn't even feel the ship dock in the ports, which you do feel on some of the larger ships.
Old December 12th, 2001, 01:01 PM
dgm

Hi
I just got back from a Nov12/01 cruise on the Summit - it was great! The only time I felt some vibration was in the dining room and only in certain areas. We sat in the dining room on deck 5 at the back and felt no vibration yet our normal seating was on deck 4 towards the back and we had vibration everytime. Although it was felt it was not a deterent to our dining experience - after being on a carnival cruise ship that had a vibration EVERYWHERE - this was nothing. It was a very smooth sail and despite my fear of seasickness I was great! I had packed the Patch, Dramamine, & Gravol Anti Nausea Pills and I just took 1 Pill at night and it seemed to do the trick. Happy sailing!
Old December 12th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Marvelous M.

Thanks - we are veterans of 3 cruises, including the RC Grandeur and Splendor. We have experienced plenty of "vibrations", including gale force winds on the grandeur (our first cruise) and a feeling of "skipping over the water" in the dining rooms. When people talk about the vibrations on the Summit, what caliber are you speaking about??
Old December 12th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Godfather

Marvelous Mary, it is a normal engine vibration, as felt on most ships. Seasickness?........foggedaboutit........eh?
Old December 12th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Vibrations on the Summit are actually a blessing...think of how many quarters you will save depositing into the little black box next to the bed!!!and, we ought to know because we stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week!
Terry
Maui, Hawaii
Old December 13th, 2001, 09:22 AM
William N

Mary,
My understanding is that the Millennium did have vibration problems and was put in dry dock for a couple weeks to fix the problems. I've read many many posts and reviews on the Summit on other boards and have not seen a single mention of vibration problems.
I hope this helps.
Happy sailing.
Bill
Old December 13th, 2001, 10:09 AM
dgm

We noticed a vibration that was enough to be felt through your body but not enough to rattle the dishes or anything of that nature AND it was only in certain parts of the dining room - perhaps right above the area where the engine/propellers are located - not sure. But it was the only public room we ever felt a vibration in and only in certain areas. We dined in other areas of the dining room and there was NO vibration - so I am assuming it depends where you are in fact sitting.
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Marvelous M.

I think I'll do what I always do when my head is feeling a little dizzy from the motion - have another pina colada and keep dancing. Thanks for your comment, Godfather.
Old December 15th, 2001, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Just returned from summit yesterday..We were seated @the farthest table aft in the dining room on the fourth deck.We had to have our table changed due to the vibration.Never felt it in any other part of the ship.
Old December 15th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

What about if you have an aft cabin - is there vibration extremely noticeable???
Old December 15th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

steve wrote:
>
> Just returned from summit yesterday..We were seated @the
> farthest table aft in the dining room on the fourth deck.We
> had to have our table changed due to the vibration.Never felt
> it in any other part of the ship.

This is also true on the Century class ships, and I was surprised to see it had jumped to the new Millennium class ships, when we sailed the Millennium.
I'd bet that Steve had early dining, because the only time I ever experienced it was when the thrusters were being used leaving port.

Also most noticable in the dining room, because it's located so low in the ship. Barely noticeable on higher decks.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 16th, 2001, 07:40 AM
First Mate

Kuki...we had late seating..the waiter was aware of it also..he told us that it would only be the first2 nights,because of the speed needed on those nights..i agree with your statement about the lower decks because when we ate on the 10th. deck @the buffet, we did not feel any excess vibration...steve