Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2001, 09:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default captains club?

Oh, I forgot to ask - what's with the Captains Club on Infinity?
Does it cost and what are the benefits please? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2001, 09:38 PM
kc

Default Re: captains club?

The captains club is a celebrity thing. After you sail once with celebrity you can join the captains club for a one time fee of $35.00, which if you are going to sail with celebrity again, it is well worth the money. You get an automatic upgrade on every sailing, and you DO NOT have to wait in any lines at the ports, all captains club members have their own line at embarking. You are also the second ones to be called during disembarking. You also get special discounts through the mail. I just joined, and already got 2 upgrades on a current booking, and we will get priority embarking, and disembarking. DO IT, its well worth it. Enjoy
Old December 12th, 2001, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Thanks. For that money (per person I presume), even with the Oz dollar, it sounds like it's worth it. Question is, does membership expire? We live in Sydney so would not take a cruise over your way every year.
Thanks
Old December 12th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Admiral

It's a one time fee, and includes the whole family. Well, well worth it!
Old December 12th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Suzan

Can you get by joining BEFORE your first cruise,,if your booked and paid in full?
Old December 13th, 2001, 01:52 AM
First Mate

That's a good question Suzan, I'd like to know!
Old December 13th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Suzan wrote:
>
> Can you get by joining BEFORE your first cruise,,if your
> booked and paid in full?
No, but you can join onboard, and get the first benefit with priority debarkation.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 13th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Infinity on Dec 1st and this was our first Celebrity cruise.
We joined as soon as we got onboard and were invited to 2 coctail parties and got off the ship after the disembarcation of the passengers taking very early flights. In my opinion, joining is definitely worth it.
Old December 13th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Mary Lou

The first time you don't have to wait in one of those longs lines makes the $35.00 a great investment.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old December 13th, 2001, 01:13 PM
BillG

With so many members by now, though, aren't you likely to find lines of captain's club members waiting to disembark at the end of the cruise. Since the only time I am in a hurry to leave the ship at the end of a cruise is if I have an early flight home, and those with such flights get priority regardless of their membership status, the benefit of early disembarkation is lost on me. BTW I believe that Captain's Club membership is now restricted to two family members. Repeater's parties are part and parcel of just about every cruiseline's repeaters group's benefits. The discounts I receive on RCI ships as a diamond member seem to me to be a better benefit (and no cost to belong). Maybe RCP will think about offering some reciprocal benefits to repeaters on any of the three lines. That would be a nice result of the merger.
Old December 13th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Babette

Not all sailings are eligible for the one-category upgrade. On the Millennium-class ships up can only upgrade to Cat 4. On the Galaxy/Mercury it's up to Cat 2, Century, Zenith and Horizon to Cat 3.
You can only upgrade from inside to inside, outside to outside. Suites are excluded.

On my last cruise I checked in fairly early... by 1 pm, the Captain's Club check-in desk line was longer than the regular check-in lines.

You do not have to be a CC member to get invited to the Repeater's Party. There are two separate cocktail parties: repeaters and CC members. If you are a CC member, you get invited to both.

Using the CC coupons which come in the mail are not always the best move. I was going to use one for my last cruise. My agent told me to save my money... and have him book me under a promotional rate which was considerably cheaper. He saved me $850.00. You cannot use the coupon and the upgrade together.

I usually book within 60 days of sailing... so I like getting my choice of dinner seating - which is late - and often waitlisted.
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Back in August (I think on the 8th) there was a thread started called Captains Club"Nice". It ended up being a very informative discussion with about 25 replies on this subject.
Old December 13th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Hi BillClass, the only time I have encountered enormous lines for embarkation on a Celebrity cruise at the Captain's Club desk is for their annual "reunion" cruise. Members are given discounts, sometimes upgrades, and the privelege of boarding earlier than everyone else. In Europe, the 2000 reunion cruise, there were about 1500 anxious travel weary people awaiting embarkation at Amsterdam. At least half if not more of that group were club members. It was not only frustrating for the members to have to wait, but the "others" didn't have a clue as to why they had to wait even longer. If you utilize a benefit just once from this paid membership, you might (that is personal opinion like with early dis or de barkation), find that it is worthwhile. Again when we joined, it was for a family and for a lifetime. Things are subject to change, but I still find the Club membership has clout.
Bon Voyage
Old December 13th, 2001, 03:32 PM
First Mate

I am Captains Club sailing on Millennium 2/17/02. Rest of my family is in another cabin but have never sailed Celebrity before. Can we check in together at Captain's Club line or do we have to check in to separate lines. If they can't check in with me then I don't want to leave them as none have ever sailed before, and let's face it it is pretty confusing for first timers.
Old December 14th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Admiral

I understand that they too can check in with you. They are family and traveling with you.
Bon Voyage
Old December 16th, 2001, 12:57 AM
AR

Have to agree with Nana. Just back from Summit and the CC saved us oodles of time at Port Everglades. Walked right in, no (I mean zero) waiting. Others were left seated in the outer lobby waiting for their group numbers to come up. Same thing happened in Genoa last year.

The upgrades don't really amount to much, especially if you've got a good agent (but see below).

The whole mish-mash about debarkation is really not a big deal either. If you've got an early plane, they'll bust their chops to get you off early. If you've got a later plane, what's your hurry? You're better off sitting in the restaurant drinking coffee. It really is amazing to see how desperately a lot of people want to get off before anybody else, even when they've got 3:00 planes and the airport's 10 minutes away.

Other than embarkation, the biggest benefits are intangible. If you're a member and you book a guarantee, you're very likely to get an upgrade, and it's likely to be much more significant than the pro-forma ones they offer up front.

Make no mistake, they keep track of their loyal customers, and they try to take care of them.

But beating the hassle of the check-in lines is worth the money by itself.

AR
Old January 2nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
david d

How can I get the upgrade. The TA old us we have to do it after we board. Tha does't seem right. I am also interested in moving up to a veranda even if I have to pay a little more. When booking it was $700 ( for two) and I was hoping to pay less. Any thoughts?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 12:26 PM
david d

How do we get the upgrade? Our TA said we must do it on the ship.