Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Default Mercury ...

Any comments on Mercury ... I see that the boat is 4 yrs old .. does it matter much?
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2001, 09:45 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Mercury ...

Sailed on her 3 times...love the ship....good crew, excellent choice( i perfer her the the new larger ships such as Infinity)
Old December 14th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Passenger

We are thinking about going to Alaska on Mercury .. is that where you went?

What did you think of things such as .....

* aft end of ship vibrates .. don't choose cabins in this area
* hot tubs and pools? Is there a lot of hot tubs?
* casual dining .. in the evenings if you don't want to go to the dining room is there an alternative?

Those are some of the negative comments I've heard about Mercury. Did you use the spa facilities at all?

Our thought is to go with an inside cabin as to save money ($300/person) for excursions. We hope to do some really fun excursions .. glaciers .. whales .. etc.
Old December 14th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Mercury is # 1 out of nine ships I've been on. There is a casual dining alternative set up on the Lido deck, aft, each night. We did not use it, but it appeared to be nice. Not the same as multiple alternate dining available on some other lines however.
I think most Celebrity cruisers are not looking for dining alternatives as the regular dining is so darn good.
Plenty of pool space and hot tubs. Pool on the stern has a retractable cover, this could be a plus in Alaska.
Our dining table was right at the aft window. Never felt any excessive vibration on a two week cruise.
Spa facilities are quite nice . Thelasotherapy pool is close to being in heaven.
Ship has a wonderful assortment of lounges, theatres and other public spaces.
Why would you shy away from a 4 year old ship?
This ship is gorgeous and in beautiful condition.
Old December 14th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Passenger

I figured as much .. I was just mostly curious as to why the cost of this cruise is so much less than Princess or Royal. But from what I've heard everyone seems to enjoy it equally as much. We cruised the Carribean on Royal .. what a great trip. I hope Alaska is just as nice.
Old December 15th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Laura J.

My husband and I are sailing on the Mercury/Inside Passage trip 6/9/02....our travel agent told us the ship was originally scheduled for the Mediterranean and was relocated thus the lower fares. We had considered the RCL Vision also since it worked for our date, but have decided to go with the Mercury. Can't Wait!
Old December 16th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Cynthia

Royal is all outside rooms and has an elegance about it that just draws a certain crowd (usually older) and they keep going back over and over to that particular ship. I love the ship but I also like Celebrity. Entertainment is better on Royal; food is better on Celebrity. I have not been on Mercury but have been on Galaxy. I found the decor much nicer on Royal. It is one of their older ships but a fine ship. We are going on Mercury to S. America. I really like both lines but for the price, will go with Mercury. Just think, next year they will be merged and it probably won't matter much.
Old December 17th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Mercury is not an old ship, nor would I describe it as one of Celebrity's oldest. Celebrity sails four older ships including Galaxy which is mentioned above. It is in fact the newest of the three sister ships in its class. Absolutely nothing about Mercury says"old".
Royal Caribean and Celebrity merged three years ago.
Old December 17th, 2001, 09:26 AM
David Starkey

If you are going to Alaska, you must have an outside stateroom, no wear is the view more important than an Alaska cruise. On a caribbean or transatlanic cruise inside is fine , but the view from you will miss is worth the money. By the way, rates for some of theses 2002 sailings on the Merc are fantastic, we were booked in late June for 4 people, outside cabin for 4 (including port tax for $ 2300.00)Thats the best rate for 4 people i have had in over 20 years of cruising.
Go for the outside(at these prices you would be nuts not to)
We are sailing the Galaxy to New England and Canada in Late May/June for 11 days. You won't go wrong on Mercury to Ak, we have taken it twice up there.
Old December 18th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Passenger

Where did you find a rate like that? The rates we've been quoted so far aren't REALLY great .. I mean .. I've seen sales of better prices to Alaska. Our quote for an inside cabin was ... Mercury (Celebrity Cruises) July 14, 2002. Category Run of Ship $1149 plus $15 government taxes
And an outside cabin ... Category 2 (balcony) $1829 plus $15 government taxes per person ... are these good rates? Our agent has called back to tell me that they have gone up since she spoke with us last (2 weeks ago). Am I low balling in the price?
Old December 18th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Thanks Bill for you input. I didn't mean to make it sound like I felt the ship was old .. I was just wondering why it was coming up so low in pricing compared to Royal and Princess.

I guess if Royal bought Celeb already .. and now they own Princess .. they are all one big happy family.
Old December 19th, 2001, 08:56 AM
David Starkey

GalaxSea Cruises has booked space on selected sailing that gave us that fantastic rate 1-800 662-5450(give them a call) By the way we had an outside cabin, but not a balcony(that would be a lot more $$)
Old December 19th, 2001, 01:41 PM
hct

Alt.dining on Mercury was good. Many of the same choices as reg. dining room & great service. Only negative was that the baketball courts are over the dining location & the banging from above was a bit disturbung.(we were there during a school vacation so alot of after dinner sports during adult dinner hour!) Otherwise a good choice. No one can go wrong with Mercury.
Old February 7th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Steve Tanenbaum

HI: Glad to read your comments as we prepare for 32 days on the Mercury from RIo to San Diego!

About the Lasotherapy "close to heaven". Can you describe a bit? What is the cost for this option (I assume) and is this part of the aqua spa area? Also, is there an outdoor hot tub/jacuzzi? is the indoor hot tub/jacuzzi usable only if you buy the aqua spa for the day, hour etc. How does aqua spa sell these options. Thanks.