Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Paul Jaffe

Default Connect@Sea on the new Summit

Greetings from on-board the Celebrity's new Summit, at sea, south of Cozumel, en route to to Puerto Limon.

Maybe this is old news to the message board, but Celebrity has introduced an internet access program, using your own laptop, directly from your cabin, for $100 for an 11-day cruise. In other words, 24/7 online access to the Web and to your email access for $9/day.

This competes with their own klugy internet cafe service at 95 cents per minute.

I've been using the service since we left Florida. The connect speed isn't all that hot...about 33.5 baud...but it's been steady and I've been leaving the computer connected night and day, receiving email continuously.

If anyone is particularly interested in learning more about this service, send me a message and I'll be pleased to provide you with any information I can.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2001, 12:49 PM
jcpc

Default Re: Connect@Sea on the new Summit

Paul - Have you read the posts by Andrew re overcrowding on the Summit. Can we have your views, please? Thanks.
Old December 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Paul Jaffe

I read one or two of the posts on the so-called Summit overcrowding "problem". I'll reply as best I can from the standpoint of this being our 20th cruise and our 10th Holiday cruise in 10 years. Also, we sailed on the Millennium 18 months ago (second sailing) from Amsterdam, so we have that too as a basis for comparison.

My wife, our traveling companions and I have nothing to complain about. We are having a wonderful time. The food is excellent, the dining room service splendid, we have a fine table on deck 4 near the stern, and the ship overall is magnificent.

Is the ship oversold? I haven't a clue. Maybe it is. Maybe they are jamming 3 or 4 or 5 passengers in a standard cabin. I don't know and I don't care. My wife and I are in our very nice outside cabin, it suits us just fine, and I don't know nor care what is going on down the hall.

We had to settle for a main seating designation because the second seating was almost totally taken up by large groups of Europeans. People from Spain, Italy and the UK.

I guess Europeans like to eat later. Celebrity moved the main seating time to 6:30 instead of 6:00, moved the second seating to 8:45 instead of 8:30, and that seemed to please some people, including us.

Did some people throw food at the Captain? I heard about that. Did some people camp out on the bandstand at the pool and refuse to move when the band (Onyx) came out to entertain? I heard that. Are unaccompanied kids standing in the circular windows in the restaurant, pushing all the buttons in the elevators and then running away. I saw that. Did someone in a fit of rage up-end a set table in the dining room because they weren't happy with their seating arrangements? I heard that.

So, what does it all mean? That people can be inconsiderate, rude, slovenly, don't look after their kids, etc. etc.? Sure. What can I or anyone else do about it? This can happen on a train, a plane, on Princess, even on Radisson and Silver Sea. This is just the way things are.

Moral of the story: Enjoy your vacation and be happy. It's a wonderful cruise and we're having a grand time.

We've already booked next year's Holiday cruise. Can't wait.

Paul Jaffe
Old December 28th, 2001, 06:22 PM
jcpc

Thanks for your reply Paul. I'm glad you're all having a wonderful time. It just goes to show that there are ignorant, rude people everywhere!!
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Paul-
I do have a question regarding the Connect at Sea. I am aware of it and have used it, however Jan 14, I would like to have 2 computers connected in one cabin. Do you know if that is possible? We are planning on running a webcam from the penthouse for the 11 days of the cruise. Hopefully everything will work out. How has the weather been? A lot of moisture on the balconies?

Looking forward to your response...
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Paul Jaffe

The connection is relatively slow, about 33.6 baud.

You get an RJ11 male connect that you attach to the laptop. Could you use a splitter and work two computers? I doubt it. Besides, the connection may be too slow for a webcam.

I have found the connection drops every few hours. Not a problem re-connecting although it may be a problem for what you want to do.

I have found that in 90%+ on the instances I have tried to go online, I can connect with no trouble.

The weather has been very windy and overcast in Cozumel. Showery and partly cloudy in Costa Rica. Showery and overcast en route on our days at sea.

I can't tell you about a balcony. We don't have one. It wasn't worth an extra $1K to us to have one. We do have an outside however.

Any further questions, just ask.

PMJ
Old December 30th, 2001, 12:59 AM
casavaha

Paul Jaffe:
Your attitude regarding kids, problems with the ship or what
happens down the hall should be bottled and force fed to all
first time cruisers.
Enjoy the cruise, nothing is perfect. Do not dwell on the
little things that you have no control over.
We are booked on the Constellation, 10/25/02