Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Pooh Bear

Default Refund of Travel Insurance!!!!!

I'm so happy!

We booked Millie in August for May 12, 2002 Medit. cruise. Paid for travel insurance ($439) at time we booked the cruise.

In September, Celebrity announced that that itinerary was canceled and refunded our $900 deposit because we were not sure what, if any future plans we would make.

I have been trying since September to get Access America to reimburse the travel insurance premium. They have refused up to this point saying that they would, however, give us a credit toward a future cruise. I wanted the premium refunded - not a credit toward a future cruise! We don't normally take travel insurance as a rule.

The only reason we took out insurance for the 2002 Medit. cruise this time (as opposed to the last several cruises) was because of the LARGE cost associated with this cruise and the pre- and post-cruise packages and because our health insurance would not cover us out of the country - and, I had to gulp and face the facts Jack: We are getting OLD and I was feeling pretty vulnerable when we booked. Strange thing is - in the past I was always pretty optimistic that everything would go as planned! Now that we are getting OLD, I'm thinking more about the "unplanned" things that can happen.

After many letters to many people, I just found out last week that Access America has issued a credit to our credit card account for the full price we paid for the insurance (minus the $3 processing fee)! And perhaps best of all: HUBBY DIDN'T DIVORCE ME!

I'm so happy.....that I booked Rhapsody of the Sea for the Feb. 9 Mardi Gras cruise! ! ! Guess we're NOT so old after all!

One Happy Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Refund of Travel Insurance!!!!!

Hi Pooh Bear,
Glad the travel insurance company finally gave you a credit, they do take their sweet time, glad it all worked out for you and you still have a husband :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 28th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Admiral

I find this very interesting, I would never expect the insurance premium to be refunded. It is 'insurance' to safeguard you. Unless I'm missing something. I don't get my premiums on homeowners, etc back.
Old December 28th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Buying insurance from Travel Guard withing 14 days of booking a cruise had a few perks including refund of premium if you cancelled for any reason.

Since September 11th or shortly thereafter this perk was removed from their policies.
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:07 PM
susancruzs

Lucky you, I've been battling with TravelGuard over something I did and they are really giving me a hard time and I do not think I will see my refund. I guess I don't really expect to but it was a strange situation so I thought they would listen to my plea but so far they haven't. I did get my $ 300 deposit back through my Visa company and told TravelGuard since I wasn't going to them for the deposit, was not going on the trip could they refund my insurance? Not!!! Can't blame me for trying, you are lucky!
Old December 29th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Pooh Bear

Cruiseaholic:

Don't know who you have your insurances through. I must be extremely fortunate to have the home and auto insurance that we have. When my mother-in-law passed away suddenly, she had just paid her home owner's insurance for the year early on. We were reimbursed the balance (don't understand the calculation used - buy hey! we got something back) when the home sold approx. 1 month after her death and the new owners took over. On a personal experience dealing with auto insurance: I had a car that I had just paid my 6 month premium on and shortly after premium was paid, my husband got a great offer for it and advised me to sell it. Again, I got a portion of the premium returned. Mother-in-law had her insurance through the same company as we have our homes and cars also.

Re the travel insurance. I priced out the insurance for the (now defunct) 5/02 Medit cruise through our agent before going to Access Amer. and found that our agent was higher.

I understand the "concept" of insurance for sure! However, it was and is still my belief, that Access America "did the right thing" in refunding my premium since (1) there was NO cruise to be insured - it simply no longer exists on any itinerary (and that was the cruise that I was insuring - not just "any travel" and (2) Access Amer. didn't suffer any monetary loss/payout because the Cruise line canceled the itinerary way in advance of any penalty period and (3) I had paid the premium in 2 payments - first payment in August when we booked the cruise and second payment in September - just 6 days before Celebrity canceled that itinerary - when TA advised us of the firm cost of the airfare.

When first approached, Access Amer. stated that the 10 day satisfaction was valid since the cruise was canceled within 10 days of the last (second) premium payment (somewhere around Sept. 26), then came back and balked that the original policy had been written in August and that would put us beyond the 10 day satisfaction period. (Go figure - how would anyone know if they were satisfied with their travel insurance (or for that matter - ANY insurance!) - until they need it??

My major beef with them was the timing involved. Within one month of booking and depositing on the cruise and paying the insurance, the cruise was canceled. There was no longer a trip to be insured. Why should the insurance company have felt it was right to keep any pax's money under those circumstances? Greed?

Don't get me wrong - please! I understand that they (as have other industries) have been hard hit by recent world events and I would have bitten the bullet under other circumstances (i.e., getting closer to the cruise date and canceling) but this cruise was canceled within one month of booking and 10 months from the sail date.

Anyway - I'll now recommend Access America as a viable source of travel insurance - simply because, in my eyes, they did the right thing and I truly respect them for it.

Pooh Bear
Old December 29th, 2001, 07:53 PM
hdawson

Pooh. Strongly suggest using travel insurance (third party) whenever you travel outside the US. Medivac can cost 15, 20 or 25K. I think trip cancellation coverage is a secondary reason to buy insurance.
Old December 29th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do people get insurance for just cruise trips or for all trips outside the US? I never do, but that doesn't mean it's right, just that I never thought about. I travel outside the US at least twice a year. Thanks

Liz
Old December 30th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Admiral

I think you were quite lucky to get your premium credited for a future cruise. Actually, your insurance was in effect from the day your premium was received. To me, it seems a little bit like buying car insurance and a few months later calling the Insurance company asking for a refund because you didn't drive the car.

Nevertheless, you ought to think long and hard about ever embarking upon a cruise without insurance... for a multitude of reasons... few of which have anything to do with age.
Old December 31st, 2001, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Liz, travel insurance is available for any and all trips; USA, Canada, Europe as well as cruises. Always check 3 quotes for coverage and price. Since purchasing more expensive vacations and our family getting up in years, I have purchased from Travelguard who seems to have the most all emcompassing coverage at the best price. I have had to use the Medical portion on our 1st. European cruise and it was worth it, too.
Happy New Year and Bon Voyage