Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Millie-rough sailing

I read on the message boards that the Millennium experienced some rough sailing at the end of November. There was some speculation as to whether there was a problem with the ship or it was rough seas. Has anyone sailed on her lately?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Babette

Default Re: Millie-rough sailing

One person's rough seas is another person's cradle rocking.

However, the seas since November have been kicked up by this cold front and that cold front, this low pressure system and that. Also Nov-late Jan/ early Feb the Easterlies blow quite hard in the Caribbean.. and many folks fail to realize that upon setting out from Ft. Lauderdale you are in the Atlantic Ocean... not the Caribbean's more protected waters.

I've found that more and more people expect ships to remain 100% steady in the water because they are so big. On my last cruise I heard pax claim that the Capt did use the stabilizers to save money which is ridiculous. We were pitching, not rolling... and stablizers
do nothing for pitch. And no stabilizer system will completely even out heel.

To quote Commodore Mike Moulin from Princess: "The ocean is like a woman's breast. Sometimes it heaves."
Old January 9th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Babette,

One of the roughest cruises I've ever experienced was on Mercury, certainly no midget of a ship, in February in the Western Caribbean. It was rough enough that the Captain changed the order of port calls. Still, many, many people were seasick. I too found Grand Princess perfectly capable of rocking and rolling. Fortunately, I could care less.

Carole
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Captain

We were on the December 16-23 sailing of the Millennium and our experience was wonderful. I asked members of the staff about the rough seas reported in earlier messages and they said that it had been a little rough for a few weeks in November and early December. This was our first cruise with Celebrity and we would definitely recommend Celebrity and the Millenium to our friends and family. Beautiful ship, excellent service, delicious food - an all around delightful experience. I appreciate all the good suggestions from this board.
Old January 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Babette

Hi Carole:

Happy New Year!!!

People commented on my 12/15 Century cruise about how rough it was!
Huh?????? I said!! Some pitching, but no roll. Seas were running 9-12 feet for awhile. No biggie. You just have to be a little careful with the mascara -
Old January 10th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Carole Dunham

No Babette, it would never do to come back to port minus an eye or two!

Carole
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM
susancruzs

I always love reading the posts about the rough seas having survied some nasty weather on a transatlantic, trying to stay away from a hurricane and 20 foot waves. Believe me, even the Norway, as big as she is, rocks and rolls in 20 foot seas, but I thought it was a great time!!! Fortunately, I don't wear mascara because on that trip it would have been tricky!!! Sue
Old January 11th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Nancy Fortuna

We were on the nov.25 sailing of the Millie. I don't think it rocked and rolled anymore than the Century. I can't believe the way people were complaining, I thought it was just great.
Old January 12th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Christmas sailing of the Millie. We found there was more movement than we had felt on the Century; but then we were traveling at a different time of year. However, it was just that -- movement -- nothing traumatic. In fact it rocked us to sleep at night.

The ship is beautiful, service excellent. I could not find a single thing to complain about.

We had an aft balcony cabin and left the doors open at night so we could hear the water. Wow!!!!

This is only our second cruise so maybe eventually we will become more jaded; but I am thoroughly impressed with Celebrity.

Norma
Old January 12th, 2002, 03:18 PM
suzan

Default Re: Millie-rough sailing.norma

I agree 100%,,I was on the Infinity,,in Dec,,it was PERFECT,,can't find a thing to gripe about,,it's odd how so many find so much to complain about,,for me,,being anywhere but home making my own bed and cooking,,add in the Caribbean is PARADISE@@
Old January 12th, 2002, 11:05 PM
RIX!

First thing: On a cruise, you are on a ship, it MOVES! This bothers my wife sometimes and she even complained when we were on the Explorer of the Seas (140k tons) in the still waters of the Caribbean. She complains for about 10 minutes every cruise we take and I just remind her of the fact that we were on a ship and she is then fine (but sometimes needs medication, see below). My point is this: these ships are so LARGE that you forget that you are at sea.

What most people consider seasickness is purely psychological. If one gets sick in small planes or traveling in a car for an extended period of time (to the point of almost vomiting), then it is motion/sea sickness. True symptoms of sea sickness are extreme disorientation and upset stomach.

Very few people really get seasick. My wife, Heather, is one of these people. Seasickness is just motion sickness. Heather cannot fly in small planes for extended periods without vomiting (and this trend started from about age 4). Out of the several cruises we have taken she has only been partially seasick once, when we were caught up in a tropical depression off of Cabo San Lucas. On that cruise, even the dinning room was closed: all dinners were served in cabin.

If it comes to it, the trick is medication. Sometimes I make Heather take medication just so she will not have the "first day sea sick fears". Dramamine and Bonine are over the counter remedies that work very well; the side effect is sleepiness. There are patches that your Dr can prescribe that one places behind the ear that have reduced side effects, but these should not be necessary. There are also shots.

The bottom line is this: if you or your travel companion is prone to motion sickness, get the patch from your doctor or use acupressure "sea bands". The Conceirge or Purser (or Room Service) always has the Dramamine/Bonine pills availbe complimentary. In a true emergency, the ships' infimary has the shot.

Happy Sailing!

Rix
Old January 20th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Marion Paris

Yes, you are correct.

The Millennium was sailing through a hurricane at that time, remember? I believe it was hurricane Millie!!!!!!!!!

The water was more than rough, not the usual rolling that any ship can do while at sea.

I have friends that were on this cruise, they all had the same comments - ROUGH - hurricanes do that you know! There were a lot of people sick and they did not leave their cabin.

Oh well, just don't sail during hurricane season - November is late for hurricanes - BUT they can still pop up!
Old January 27th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rough Seas?

How's this for rockin' & rollin'? this was taken on the Millennium on our 10/28-11/04 cruise. We were skirting Hurricane Michelle for most of the trip. It was very interesting; I guess that's because we are basically good sailors and had no problems.