Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Allison

Default wine corkage fees

I just ran across something in a Celebrity document that says that they will charge a six dollar wine corkage fee for any wine we bring to the table. I havn't been on a cruise before, but I was surprised that they would allow us to bring our own wine to the table. It seems like the cruise would lose a lot of money with this (not that I'm concerned about that given the price we're paying for the cruise.) Here's my question, are there opportunities to buy wine at the various ports? Do many people take advantage of this? Also, I thought that cruise people confiscate liquor that is brought on board. So they don't do that with wine?
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Longboysfan

Default Re: wine corkage fees

Yes. They do allow you to bring bottles to the table.
The $6.00 is so the servers don't loose so much off their tips.
I have done this in the past on a bottle or two of Champagne.
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We found a few good bottles of wine in St. Martin, but the prices were not exactly bargains. We bring our from home. It is heavy to lug around, but we are guarenteed to be happy with what we have!

Laurie
11 days to go

Century 01/02
Century 02/02
Zenith 02/01
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Al C

the corkage fee is there to discourage passengers from providing their own wine, to allow the wine steward to receive some tip from you and to cut the line's profit loss from your bottle. most passengers make use of Celebrity's wine list, i've enjoyed a number of wines from the list. The Caribbean has some fine bargains on hard stuff, but most of the shops have a very limited selection of wines.
Old January 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
LovetheSea

We brought a favorite wine of ours from a local winery. The way you go about it is... You give the wine to your cabin steward, and tell him, or her, you would like this wine served at your dinner table. You tell him what night it is to be served, and like magic, it SHOULD show up at your table that night and will be served by the wine steward, or waiter, I can't remeber for sure? I think the $6. was well worth it. This is the way we did it on the Millennium last year. If you are still unsure, call the Guest Relations desk when you get on the ship and ask.
Have a great time
Old January 15th, 2002, 12:25 PM
casavaha

We were on the Millie, transatlantic last Oct., 14days. We brought
our own wine every night and just gave it to the wine steward.
We bought wine at every port, but of course we were in Spain
and Madeira. We bought about a dozen bottles before we
crossed the atlantic and had enough for the rest of the
voyage.
We tipped the wine steward extra at the end of the cruise. She
would rate our wine each night. We did not know Spanish
wines well but started talking with people in the store and they
told us their favorites.
Enjoy your cruise
Old January 18th, 2002, 04:12 PM
dgm

Hi
In response - some travel agents or friends etc...will have a bottle of wine delivered to your cabin as a gift - we had 3 bottles of wine delivered to our group cabins by our travel agent on the day of departure - we took the wine to us with dinner on 3 different nights and just paid the corkage fee to have it - otherwise it was fine.
Old January 27th, 2002, 06:19 PM
rebeljohn

We brought a local wine aboard the Zenith back in November, and our experience with bringing our own wine was great! The wine steward had not seen our wine before, and was anxious to taste it. We normally drink a half bottle at each meal, so one bottle lasted a couple of nights. Each night, the wine would show up at our table, chilled and ready to be served, all for only 6 bucks. Not bad...........John