Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Frank

Default Cruising From NYC to Bermuda

If anyone has taken either ship to Bermuda from NYC can you please tell me how rough the seas were?..I am thinking of taking the Horizon but I want to know if anyone hit rough waters.
Thnks Frank
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Cruising From NYC to Bermuda

I'd be interested in the answer to this question also. I'd like to do Bermuda, but fear rough seas.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old January 15th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Having taken Bermuda/NY cruises 7 times, I will say this. Early and late season have a much better chance of roughness than mid season. From june 1 till july31 its usually a lake. Also, its only rough the first and last nights. When you get south of Cape Hatteras, N.C., its pretty good.My favs are Zenith, Horizon, & Nordic Empress.
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:31 AM
kc

last year me and my partner took the second from the last sailing out of philadelphia to bermuda. The seas were awful. I would imagine if you went in june or july the seas wouldnt be that bad. We both took pills way before we sailied off, and the first full day at sea, we couldnt even get out of bed. But all the staff kept saying how that sailing was an exception, they kept telling everyone that they never see all these people getting sea sick. The sailing before us got caught in a hurricane returning to philadelphia, and the crew was telling us that even then, there were not that many people who got sea sick. We had to go to the hospital on board to get shots. They are costly, but your travel insurance will pay it when you return home (just save your receipt). After the shot, within 2 hours I felt great, and enjoyed the rest of the cruise. Coming home, we didnt run into any problems. We sailed on the Horizon. It is a great ship, with outstanding service. As soon as I heard about the Galaxy's new itinerary out of baltimore, we booked a 11 night caribbean in september, we are already counting down the days. hahaha.
If you have any other questions, feel free to e mail me
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:11 PM
David Starkey

Did an April cruise out of NYC on QE2 once and was very glad we were on such a seaworthy vessel as sea's would have really been rough on a less stable ship.(this ship was built with transatlantic cossings in mind)

Did and June cruise out of NYC to New England and Canada and the sea's were calm.Also sailied QE2 to Europe in July and sea's were like glass.

Enjoy Bermuda its a great destination.
Old January 16th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Admiral

I have done this cruise twice . Once in May and once in early Sept.
On both occasions, what I interpreted as gentle rolls on the way down, were interpreted by others as big time rocking and rolling. It is in the eye of the beholder .
Most recent trip back, last May was a bathtub all the way home.
Our experince on the way home was a bit different on our first Bermuda trip.. We passed through a cold front about 2 hours out from Hamilton. By dinner time we had 30 foot seas and the majority of passengers and crew were having some discomfort. By 10pm things had calmed down enough for the major production show of the week to go on. By midnight we came out the other side of the front and the next day was one of the nicest sea days I have experienced.
Weather is just about the one thing you cannot guarantee on a cruise
This year's itinerary for Horizon is quite nice. Do it. Great little ship and maybe the best cruise destination you will ever go to.In addition, sailing in and out of NY harbor is an experience not to be missed.
Happy Cruising
Old January 17th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Admiral

After eight cruises to Bermuda (both from NYC and Philly) I can say with absolute expert certainty, "You never know."

Horizon is a lovely ship and Bermuda is a wonderful experience.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 18th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Mark Hoffman

To and from NY can be rough. Too this trip in July 2000 and most of the boat was sick for the first day. 20 + waves out of the east.

Good Luck
Old January 24th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Kavoukruzian

We were on Zenith this year, we left at the end of May came back beginning of June. Beautiful cruise, but it was very rough going down. We left NYC with a low pressure system coming in. For second nite dinner at least 1/3 did not show up for second seating. One table mate got a visit and shot from the Dr.

We took bonine the moment we boarded. We did feel the ship moving as we staggered down our hallway, but as long as we religiously took the bonine, it was more something to laugh about.

Take the bonine and enjoy the cruise because there is no guarantee during any season.