Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2002, 09:05 PM
chellie

Default Precruise Barcelona Hotels

Hotel Granvia or Hotel Continental? Any experience here? Other suggestions in the Ramblas area? Travel and Leisure/Fodor both suggest the former. Frommer suggests the latter.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Precruise Barcelona Hotels

Hi,
I cannot say anything about the 2 hotels that you mentioned, but we did stay at the Le Meridian, which is located right off Las Ramblas, 2 years ago and enjoyed it very much. Hope this helps
Old January 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Hi,
I cannot say anything about the 2 hotels that you mentioned, but we did stay at the Le Meridian, which is located right off Las Ramblas, 2 years ago and enjoyed it very much. Hope this helps
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:20 PM
chellie

thank you for your responses and suggestions. to be honest, we have blown the budget on a 1a balcony cabin for this transat cruise, and we need to be a bit more conservative in our choice of precruise hotels. had we gotten our regular cat 5, we would have had money to burn. does anyone have any suggestions that are a bit more modest? we are looking for clean, comfortable and safe, but not necessarily ambient accomodations at this juncture. the balcony on board constellation will be quite luxurious, we hope.
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:20 PM
chellie

thank you for your responses and suggestions. to be honest, we have blown the budget on a 1a balcony cabin for this transat cruise, and we need to be a bit more conservative in our choice of precruise hotels. had we gotten our regular cat 5, we would have had money to burn. does anyone have any suggestions that are a bit more modest? we are looking for clean, comfortable and safe, but not necessarily ambient accomodations at this juncture. the balcony on board constellation will be quite luxurious, we hope.
Old January 16th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Passenger

We stayed at Hotel Redding. It was about 2 blocks from Las Ramblas in Barcelona. It is a very small hotel with very nice facilities. This was last May and I think I booked it on Expedia. Can't remember rate but not too expensive. Would recommend it however. There was a darling little pastry shop about half a block over where we bought pastries several times and ran back to our room and ate them in bed with cold milk! Delicious! We walked down to the big square at top of Las Ramblas and caught the tour buses. Carol
Old January 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Hi ...

We stayed at the Best Western Millenium last year and it worked for us. Didn't break the bank and is about three blocks from La Rambla (if you don't turn in the wrong direction and get lost.)

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 17th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Passenger

We stayed at the St. Moritz in Barcelona before our transatlantic cruise last year. It was affordable and centrally located. We noticed that it had larger rooms than most european hotels. Our room had a balcony and a beautiful bathroom. The staff spoke english, and were very helpful, answering all of our questions. They also offered a free breakfast bar, and not just continential!

I highly recommend it.

BTW... The cruise was WONDERFUL! We had a balcony, and it was well worth the extra money. Everyone told me that the Atlantic would be the roughest sea, ans since I get seasick, I was concerned. I found it to be more relaxing than the caribbean. The sea days were my favorite, and because of the length, we met a lot of people.
Old January 21st, 2002, 03:35 PM
Pooh Bear

I'll second the St. Moritz. Nice location for walking and nice restaurants. Not too expensive - and the breakfasts! Really enjoyed them. However, we did have a challenge finding anyone other than the desk clerk who spoke English - but that was not their problem - it was ours and we happily worked our way through it. We've stayed there 2X and had planned to stay again in May when we had deposited on Millie Medit. (previous Medits. were Premier and 2 RCCL). Won't be making the trip in May after all as Celebrity cancelled that itinerary.

Enjoy Barcelona - it is one of our favorite cities for just tooling around on foot - or renting a spot on Las Ramblas and just watching the people go by.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old January 27th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Admiral

A note or two on Barcelona ...

The spoken language is Catalan, a strange mixture of French and Spanish.

If you have Spanish, just ask the person to speak Castillano, they all do, but don't like to admit to it. Otherwise you will be so confused you might end up in Malaga instead of where you are trying to go.

My sister-out-law, after a particularly strange conversation with a taxi driver: "I thought you spoke Spanish."

Me: "I do. He doesn't."

Best restaurant recommendation: Four Cats in the Gothic Quarter. All too good for not only the food but the ambiance. Ask for a table in the gallery. I highly recommend the four pate' platter. Total bliss.

Do NOT walk down alleys, even though they may look charming.
Even in daylight. Certainly not at night.

It's a beautiful city, you will fall in love.

pamda -- CM Frist-Time Cruises Editor who can't wait to get back to what her daughter calls "Parcelona"