Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Jerie

Default Sights to see in Seattle

What are some of the 'must see' things to see and do in the Seattle/Vancouver area for 2 newcomers. We will be sailing August 9th on Celebrity's Infinity but hope to prolong our vacation a week before or after and enjoy the great Northwest.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Sights to see in Seattle

Seattle is one of my favorite cities in the world. I haven't been there in a number of years but hope to go out a week or so before my Alaska cruise this summer. There is, of course, the obvious space needle and the site of the world's fair, Pioneer square (don't miss the Seattle Underground Tour which leaves from there. Fascinating and funny) and all the funky shops along there. Go down to the waterfront and stroll around. There is a place (whish I could remember exactly where on the waterfront) that has a wonderful movie of the Mt. St. Helen's explosion and it's aftermath. Take a ferry out to one of the islands. Take a tour, either on your own or by tour bus, down to Mt. Rainier. Take a city tour. Seattle has wonderful neighborhhods, Ballard, Magnolia are my two favorites. I hope you fall in love with Seattle just like I did back in 1957 Oh yes, the public market is wonderful too! Seattle is a great eating town too and if you need restaurant recommendations, I have some favorites.

Carole
Old January 16th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Karen B

Seattle is an awesome city! We've lived here for 21 years and absolutely love it. A definite "don't miss" would be the waterfront. Lots and lots of things to see and do, and it can all be done on foot. From there you can catch the monorail and go to the Space Needle and Seattle Center (site of the World's Fair in the '60s). Pike's Place market (it's huge) is on the waterfront, selling everything imaginable. You can also take a ferry across the Sound, if you're so inclined, to Bremerton or other islands. You can also catch the Victoria Clipper if you want to see Victoria, but aren't stopping there on your cruise. The cruise ships leave from Pier 66 as well. Mt. Rainier is not to be missed if you have a car. It's only about 50 miles from Seattle. Snoqualmie Falls is also amazing and fairly easy to get to in a car. In Vancouver, be sure to go up to the Capilano summit for a tremendous view of BC; there is also a cable car you can take further up. The Capilano suspension is also a lot of fun. I think it's one of the longest. If you have extra time and a car, you might want to visit the Whistler - Blackcomb area. Noted for it's winter sports, it's equally wonderful during the summer months. If you're in the Everett area, there are tours of the Boeing 747 assembly plant which is fascinating. You will need to check on times and reservations, but it is free. That's all I can think of at the moment. Have a great vacation! It doesn't rain much in August
Old January 17th, 2002, 12:17 AM
LovetheSea

You can catch a ride on the Duck Boats right next to the Seattle Center. It's a lot of fun! We did it this summer. Here is a link to check it out...
http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Karen I think you are thinking of Grouse Mountain .. www.grousemountain.com .... you can drive up there then take the tram up .. it's an AWESOME view of all of the lowermain land. Cap Sus. Bridge is just before it. If your up for some shopping ... Robson St. is fun to walk up and down.

http://www.robsonstreet.bc.ca/robson...ay.asp?h_id=18

this links lists shops etc. on Robson.

Stanley Park is a great walk around the sea wall. Here's the link ...

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/park...s/stanley1.htm

Have fun.
Old January 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Yeoman

If you like baseball, the new Mariners Stadium, Safeco Field is also fairly close to the docks downtown. You could take the trolley (I think it is still free) along the waterfront & then walk or take a taxi up the street to the stadium. Check for dates @ Seattlemariners.com. The Mt. St. Helens movie is (was) at IMAX at the Seattle Aquarium. Don't know if it is still there. Hope you enjoy your time here. Seattle is usually very beautiful in August.