Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2002, 06:56 PM
s p

Default Margarita Island

Will be on the Galaxy March 15. Any ideas for shore excursions for Margarita Island. Also, what are popular shopping items there. Also, for St. Kitts.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Dawn Ct

Default Re: Margarita Island

We too are sailing on the Galaxy on 2/15/02. We have booked the nature kayaking tour for St. Kitts. It leaves early in the morning and lasts for three hours. We are going to try and get a taxi after the kayaking for a quick ride up to Brimstone Fortress if there is time. As far as Marguarita Island, from what I have read, there aren't a whole lot of choices that sound interesting to me, although I too am open to suggestions. For now, we are planning a beach day at the beach near the ship, but who knows, it may end up being a ship day.
Old January 18th, 2002, 11:52 AM
MarieA

Our cruise stopped at Margarita Is. in October. We decided that a 45 minute to an hour taxi or bus ride into town just wasn't for us so we just went over to the beach area. There's a nice little bar and there are lounge chairs with covers that they rent right on the beach. Ours cost us $10 for two chairs but I've heard of people getting them for less. The sand bar goes out a long way and you can wade half-way t the ship. Our head waiter also told us that it's possible to completely walk around the island in the water - but we weren't that energetic. By the way the local beer they served (yes, they serve you in your lounge chair if you want) - Polar - was ice cold and very good. Have a good time!!
Old January 18th, 2002, 01:43 PM
First Mate

I was on board the Galaxy November 2001. In St. Kitts we got in a taxi and said take us to a beach the drivers name was Persi he was great. He took us to Friars Cove Beach. Secluded, the locals rented us charis $10 for 2 chairs and umbrella. The snorkeling was great, the locals were very friendly waited on us hand and foot. But they did expect tips. Beer and rum drinks were cheap. We had a great time there.See picture of Persi.
I didn't have a good time in Margherita. We took a unairconditioned taxi cab to a beach 45 minutes away. The island was third worldish. The beach was Agua Beach. I lost my drivers license in the water. Which was the only picture Id I had. Worried the rest of the trip if I could fly out of San Juan. Everything worked out Ok. Some people took island toors, said they were ok. I should have stayed on board. By the way the beach near the ship wasn't very nice. If you go get there early to get a chair..
However the whole cruise was great best vacation we were ever on.

Old January 19th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Admiral

sp......Since we were in St Kitts on a Sunday, we found St Kitts pretty much closed down except for a couple of shops plus it was raining. We didnt do a tour. We enjoyed Margarita Is...we did a 4 hour tour there and had a great time. We found the locals, we were exposed to, friendly and outgoing. I think taking a tour on Margarita is the only way to go.
ick and Deb
Old January 22nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
Admiral

The ships tour to Brimstone Fortress was very good. There were a few other stops included and an overall drive through of the island. Since it is Sunday and practically everything downtown is closed, you should plan your time in this lovely island. When we returned in time for lunch on board, I went back tot he dock area for a little native souvenir shopping. There was a large steel drum band playing on the dock all day too. I enjoyed just sitting on the balcony and listening to them.

We stayed on board at Margarihita Island, as the tours just did not convince me they were worth 2 hours of driving over rough roads with non-english speaking guides. Originally this was to have been a day at sea, so we utilized it in the same relaxing way.
Bon Voyage
Old January 23rd, 2002, 10:08 AM
First Mate

I did the Galaxy's shore excursion that included tropical labyrinth and lagoon. Was around $40. Highly recommend it. Lasted about 4.5 to 5 hours. I think I wrote a detailed review of this excursion under 'ports' either here on Cruisemates or on cruisecritic.com. Was on Galaxy 12/14-12/21. Our tour guide (Mario) gave a great history of the island while we were driving on the air conditioned tour bus (nice). The gardens were nice - enjoyed playing with Poncho the monkey. Never held a Boa either. Florals were very pretty, and got to try some tropical fruits. Lagoon was neat - the history of that was neat as well. This was the only shore excursion I have taken on any cruise that I can say that I don't feel like I got ripped off. It was well worth it.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Dawn Ct

Hi Mandy, do you know the name of your Marguarita Island tour with Poncho the monkey? We are going on the Galaxy. I had pretty much decided that we were going to stick close to the ship and hit the beach next to the port until I read your note. Thanks, Dawn
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:47 PM
cricket55

We were on Galaxy in November. Loved St Kitts for it's natural unspoiled beauty. Not much to do in town but it's interesting to see, since it's very old and different from towns on more populated islands. Countryside is breathtaking, best photo opps I've ever seen. We went to Turtle Beach which was quite a far drive but worth it to get to see a lot of the island. Beach was beautiful with free beach chairs, a cute little bar/restaurant with live steel bands and dancing groups on the beach. Decent snorkeling too.

We were pleasantly surprised with Margarita...we slept in and basically treated it like the "at sea" day it originally was supposed to be, but after breakfast, we walked to the little beach near where the ship docked. It was very shallow but nice and sandy with jet skis available for rent at a reasonable price compared to other islands. There was also some local vendors with tables set up nearby with some great bargains and friendly vendors (although most did not speak English much). Some friends on the cruise took the a taxi to the beach and said the beach was lovely but found the locals there a little intimidating. My advice would be to enjoy the beach near the ship at your own leisure and have a relaxing day to spend some time enjoying the ship.
Old January 25th, 2002, 02:20 PM
First Mate

Which dates were you on in November?? We were on the Nov. 9th cruise.