Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob
Default Disembarking in Dover

Has anyone had experience disembarking in Dover and flying out of London the same day. We are on the 5/26/2002 sailing of the Constellation.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2002, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Disembarking in Dover

We did the opposite... flew into London and sailed out of Dover. It's a long bus ride... nearly two hours, if I remember right. The ride is beautiful, especially the small towns you pass through.
Old January 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Suggest that you contact your TA re transportation from Dover
to either Heathrow or Gatwick. Neither of these airports is just
across the street from Dover. Possibly the cruise line will be
making special bus transportation available.
Old February 1st, 2002, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Hi, Bob ...

As said earlier, the trip from Dover to London (beautiful !!!) is about two hours.

Book a late afternoon flight from Heathrow and you should be fine. Question is whether the transfer by the cruise line takes you to the airport. That's a question for your TA.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 2nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Done it on several occasions, but on Princess, not Celebrity (not that it should matter).

The drive is lovely. Most flights are mid to late afternoon, make sure yours is (especially if you did your own air). The line will have transfers available for a cost, but that is really the only way to do it.
Old February 4th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Passenger

Stacy, wonder about yr trip...we also leave fm Dover - on Constellation later this year and end up in Barcelona? If you did something similar would you remark re shore excursions, if you stayed in their hotels that were recommended, etc. We stop in Vigo, Lisbon, Mallorca plus many others. Thanks.
Old February 4th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Lynn....
We did Dover to Rome but it was with Crystal, not Celebrity. We stopped in Lisbon, did a night passing of Gilbralter (beautiful at night), a port in Spain (can't remember!!), Portofino (Italy), Nice, Cannes and finally Cita-something. I can say, but can't spell it. You'll dock there when you go to Rome... it's about an hour by bus to Rome.

Sounds like Lisbon might be the same for both trips. We didn't do any excursions there. I spent 5 years in southern Spain as a teenager and we vacationed in Lisbon often. It's a beautiful old city as long as you get into the historical sections. It's also a dirty old city... especially where we docked. YUCK. I would suggest that you go see the castles in the area... walk the plaza/shopping/waterfront downtown. OR, get out of town completely if there's a tour that does that and see some of the countryside. It's gorgeous. The fishing villages are nice, too. Lancers and Mateaus wines are cheap (and good). Pottery (painted) is a local craft.

About the itinerary... the English Channel was one of the roughest rides on a cruise ship I've ever had. If you are prone to seasickness be prepared. I never get sick but I came close that time. It took about two days to get through. I woke up one night with my toes hooked on either side of the bed just to keep from rolling out! The only other time I remember it being that rough was coming out of the Panama Canal and headed to Aruba. We had 22-25 foot seas one night. We were one of a handful of tables that had people eating! The seas were so high that they would block the light as they went by the windows... it would be light, dark, light, dark... The rest of the trip was calm sailing. The northern part of the trip was COLD. Bring warm outer wear and rain coats, too. It got nicer once we got into the Med. Cannes was beautiful... get a "REAL" croissant and chocolate there.

This is one of my favorite trips... you'll love it.
Stacy