Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Default GALAXY-BALTIMORE MAY 27

I am close to booking this 11-day trip to New England/Canada and have some concerns regarding room /weather/quality. It is quite pricey and I am considering a balcony room on penthouse deck port side near front of ship.

I would prefer a quiet room with a balcony as private as possible with unobstructed viewing. My travel agent has been pretty useless and just yells 'midship' is the place to be. But i have noticed that many midship balconys have an extended roof line due to the larger resort deck above it. Is this a cause for concern ?

Also , I have heard complaints about loud noise aft of this ship in early morning docking hours, but have also read complaints from people in the front balcony rooms that were awakened by loud noises from the overhead gym area in the morning. I hate to sound so picky...but at $2600 a pop I want to do the best I can! Any suggestions?

Furthermore, does anyone know what to expect weatherwise on this trip north in late May early June. What good is a balcony if its too cold outside? Will they put water in the outdoor pools and jacuzzis?

Finally....the cuisine. I have heard good things about celebrity dining, but have heard that post Sept 11 quality is way down (amongst all lines for that matter) but especially with celebrity's due to a dwindling demand and greater competition.

Any related remarks from those experienced with this destination, the Galaxy ship or sister ship, Mercury would be much appreciated .

Thanks, Kodiak
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2002, 06:28 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: GALAXY-BALTIMORE MAY 27

I'll be on this sailing with my family and look forward to our 8th Celebrity cruise. I cant help you with the balcony situation as we don't book them on this class of ship. Regular outside cabin is fine for us and the extra savings we can use to apply toward another cruise. We have had Balcony's on the Alaska route but that was aboard the Millie class of ships.(weather was cool, but we dont like it too hot). The outdoor pool should have water in it, but you might want to use the indoor pool.Two years ago we did New England in the first part of June and it was quite warm getting near 90 in Boston. But I also remember fog and cool temp sailing to Canada.

I think you'll have a great time.........don't expect everything to be perfect, keep a good attitude and you should have a great cruise.
By the way....the rate we got for cabin (for 4)was excellent and the price allows us to cruise again this fall....See yah on the ship....
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Passenger

We live in Baltimore and usually the last part of May and beginning of June can be nippy- not warm enough for swimming. I could fib to tell you what you want to hear,but that wouldn't be the truth. Just remember 2 things- the ship does have a covered pool, and every hour you are sailing gets you into warmer seas! We are going in June and can't wait. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kodiak,

I can help you with New England weather a bit. I live about 45 minutes from Bar Harbor, Maine... are you stopping here?? Late May/early June weather is unpredictable. It could be foggy/cloudy and cool or it might even be sunny and HOT. We have a saying here... "We have two seasons in Maine, wintah and July." On the coast it is typically cool with sea breezes anyway. Bring a light jacket for just-in-case and you'll be fine.

I love Nova Scotia in May. It's cool... pants and jacket. I'd say 60's. Don't let the chance of cooler weather keep you away. It's beautiful... you don't come here for the beaches, anyway, right?
Old February 16th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

We will also be on this sailing. We have two families of four booked along with another couple. We are not expecting Caribbean temperatures, but hope it won't be too chilly. I have done some research on the ports of call and I am very excited to see some of these beautiful areas.