Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2002, 10:50 AM
First Mate

Default attire

Going on the Century 3/2 and wondering about the Formal and Informal nights. Do women really wear gowns and men tuxedos on Formal nights? How dressy do people really get? What about the Informal nights? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: attire

Hi Susan,
Yes, people do wear gowns and tux's, but a nice cocktail dress will be fine on formal nites and a dark suit for the men work well.
As for the casual nites, docker type pants and polo shirts for the guys and pants suits and dresses for the girls.

Here is some information to help with the packing process, have fun:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/before/packing.cfm>
Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 7th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Susan,

You will see everything on formal night... from beaded full length gowns to Sunday best type dresses. It IS more formal and a whole lot more fun if go with it and dress up! I always wear a full length gown... because I like to. The men in tuxes always stand out, in a good way. One thing that bugs me about formal night is when you come out of dinner (we always request 2nd seating) and find people from the first seating have changed back into shorts and t-shirts. It just seems to spoil the mood for me. There's something magical about being all dressed up... sailing through the night... music on the air... VERY romantic. It's one of the things I like about cruising.
Old February 7th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Susan ...

You will see darned near everything. I haven't owned a gown (or what I think of as a gown) since the prom/cotillion circuit back when pteradtyls were flying overheard.

I don't understand why men are so resistant to the tux thing. What could be easier? They don't even have to pick out a tie. And if they would stop to consider how hunky their wives think they are in the best bib and tucker they would definitely think twice.

Hmm. I think this could be a good start for a discussion .

pamda
Old February 7th, 2002, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Default You Rocked my TUX world!

Hi:

Just read your reply re: men and Tuxedos as I (Mr. CASUAL) pondered my strategy for our upcoming cruise which is no less than a whopping 32 days from Rio to San Diego, Ca.
Suddenly it all made total sense, same suit for 7 or so formal nights while also looking my BEST! Prices are totally reasonable and so tomorrow off and running to buy a TUX. Thanks. Steve T.
Old February 8th, 2002, 04:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: You Rocked my TUX world!

I would like to add for all the women thinking about their formal wear, this is the BEST time of the year to buy. Picked up a long gown, black for $17.50 today. Looking forward to using it on the Constellation 11/23/02.
Old February 11th, 2002, 12:02 PM
david d

Default Re: You Rocked my TUX world!

I own a tux and do not get many opportunities to wear it. A wedding every now and then. I always wear it on the formal nights. Others don't but I still do. I don't know if I'd rent one for $85 if I didn't own my own.