Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Default Muster Drills -- Late Sailings

Never mind the jokers (we know who we are) talking about wearing pj's to the muster drill. It came to me that people really DO wonder what happens with late sailings.

On our last cruise (Celebrity) we had a late sailing. Strangely, it was the first time we'd ever had a late departure and I wondered. I found out.

There was a muster drill between early and late seatings then there was another "make up" session the next morning for people who boarded late.

So, if anyone's been wondering ... there you go. I don't know if all lines or all ships do it this way. Just one experience.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Editor.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2002, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Muster Drills -- Late Sailings

pamda,

We had a late sailing on RCI's Vision of the Seas a few years ago and it was the same procedure. Muster drill occurred between early and late dinner seatings on the first night.

andrea
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Andrea ...

The more info we have, the better off we are !!!

pamda
Old February 9th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Admiral

My first two cruises, in 1995 and 1996 were on Carnival out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. I think we sailed at 10:00 p.m., but I'm not 100% sure about the time. I just know it was late. In both cases, we had our muster drill THE NEXT DAY as we left our first port of call, in one case St. Croix and the other St. Thomas. Good thing nothing happened before that, huh? None of us would have know what to do!
jennifer
Old February 9th, 2002, 04:36 PM
kc

I sailed last october on celebrity's Horizon, and the ship left about 3 hours late, because the last sailing got caught in a hurricane on the return trip from Bermuda. We had the muster drill for EVERYONE the next morning at 11am. I wondered what would have happened if (god forbid) the ship had some kind of accident. Thank god it didnt.
Old February 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
tgar

so we wear the pjs and a sportjacket???????????????/
Old February 9th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Admiral

kc ...

When we sailed last spring on Rottie VI we were four hours late leaving port. The boat drill was the next morning. I sent my sister (first-time cruiser) to yell "YO!" and rolled over and went back to sleep. But NOT before I knew exactly where the muster station was and where the life jackets were. I'd been on a sister ship before.

This is not to make light, in any way, of the importance of SOLAS and boat drills.

Unless you know a ship well and have walked the line to your muster station DO NOT SKIP IT.

If it's your first time on a particular ship, do the drill again, by yourself (with your partner or family) just to make sure you KNOW, not just being part of the milling crowd who would rather be elsewhere during the mass experience.

It is important to keep in mind that in case of a real emergency your muster station may be very different than the "practice" one.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 9th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Admiral

tgar ...

Nope. Black tie and jammies.

pamda
Old February 10th, 2002, 07:47 AM
kc

I thought it was a mandatory thing? I thought that they went around and checked all the cabins to make sure everyone was there? I am sailing again in september, I would hate to HAVE to do it again if I really DIDNT really need to.
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
susancruzs

I always feel better when the cruise line has the drill before leaving the dock and I always wonder what happens when people are the last to board or catch up at the first port. Last fall on Princess, there were alot of people who boarded late due to thunder storms in the area, we even sailed late and I don't remember them having a make up fire drill. We finally sailed around ten but the drill was at 5:00 p.m. No emergencies but it concerned me. Chaos is not a good thing if the emergency is real. Sue
Old February 10th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Well, here's the word -- if you have your reading glasses on ...

<http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/cruiseship.htm>

Basically, the drill must be held within 24 hours of sailing if my reading glasses are working right.

I wish there would be more info in cruise documents about safety than about massages and facials.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 10th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off Infinity yesterday 2/9 and the drill was at 10:30P on the night of departure 2/2. We were leaving SJU at 11:00P. Guess everyone was planning on staying up for departure and must have had a good attendance- no roll call and to the best of my knowledge - no makeup.
Old February 11th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Anje

Just got off the Galaxy 2/8 and we had our muster the first night at 10:30 pm. First we had to go to a lounge inside for @ 15 minutes for a speech and then we had to go outside @ 15 minutes for instructions in 3 languages. They did not take attendance although they counted people as they went into the lounge. I don't know if they checked the cabins. I felt bad for the ones with little kids. It was boring but necessary. Last year we went on the Voyager and we got on the ship late and missed the muster and they handed us a sheet of paper with instructions. It was a 6pm sailing.

Anje
Old February 13th, 2002, 07:20 AM
hdawson

Pamda, I'm surprised that you would suggest skipping the drill under any circumstances. It's only 20 minutes and so very important.