Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Default Getting Married on a Cruise

Has anyone ever gotten married on board a Celebrity cruise? How was it? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Jennyt

Default Re: Getting Married on a Cruise

We got married off the ship, but while on a cruise (all the guests were on the cruise with us). If you'd like, I can go into more detail if you email me.

How exciting!

Jenny
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:34 PM
michelle baker

I am a travel agent and we arrange on board weddings all the time. You have to be married while the ship is in a port. Most people usually get married on the ship prior to sailing, before the other passengers are allowed to board. You can also get married on the beach during one of your stops in port. St. Thomas is a very popular place to do this. The crew on the ship will go out of their way to make you feel special on your big day and honeymoon.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:11 PM
Mary Jean

Default Re: Re: Getting Married on a Cruise

We were on the 3/28/03 sailing of the Galaxy and two couples were supposed to be married in Key West. Only one problem; because of bad weather and winds, we never docked in Key West. Created quite a problem for these people. I really couldn't understand why someone would put themselves in this kind of a position anyway. Sometimes ships just can't dock at a given port. I sure wouldn't plan my wedding around a port call on a cruise.
Old April 29th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Beginner

I got married while on a Bermuda cruise, via the Zenith. My hubby and I had 20 people sailing with us and everyone loved the experience. Two of our friends even got engaged during the week!

We got married on the island, on the beach-- barefoot! If you would like to know more, or have any questions, email me!

Congrats! Megan
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Passenger

We've booked our wedding for Vancouver July 9th on the Infinity before she sails that day. So far we've found the wedding people in Florida very helpful. It's just the two of us so quite an easy one really but it's a lot easier for us, and cheaper, than getting married on land in BC. Any hints would be great!
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Well, Deb and I were married on our Radiance trip in May, 2001. I found a site on the internet that RCI uses.

We were picked up at the Juneau pier by limousine and taken to city offices for the license. Then drove to the airport where we met up with the minister and his wife, the photographer, and pilot.

We flew out in the direction of the Hubbard glacier but it was raining. Our pilot then turned and we were in the air for about another 20 min. We found a spot on the Taku glacier and he put the craft down.

We held the ceremony out there in the middle of the Taku glacier. Talk about a beautiful place. Words can’t describe. When anybody asks us where we were married we just tell them “On a really, really big ice cube.?
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Admiral

IMHO, weddings are stressful enough without adding in the "unknown". As an earlier poster said, the possiblity always exists that you may not end up at the destination where you thought you were going to get married. This happened to someone I know and created a HUGE problem. My suggestion would be to get married prior to the cruise, then take everyone along to celebrate! Let us know what you decide to do.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Marylou,

IMHO, weddings are stressful enough without adding in the "unknown". As an earlier poster said, the possiblity always exists that you may not end up at the destination where you thought you were going to get married. This happened to someone I know and created a HUGE problem. My suggestion would be to get married prior to the cruise, then take everyone along to celebrate! Let us know what you decide to do.

I think you are right, but unfortunately the "unkown" is a possibility no matter what you plan.

>> Last week, my dad went to South Carolina for the funeral of a friend who happened to be a minister who lived there. It seems that the minister had gone to North Carolina to conduct at a wedding service on a Saturday afternoon. He directed the rehearsal on Friday evening, then died very suddenly later that night. I don't know whether another minister conducted the service or the service got postponed.

>> A few years ago, the owner a restaurant that was very popular for wedding receptions in the "south shore" region of Massachusetts sold the establishment and the bookings to a new owner. A couple weeks later, the employees arrived on a Saturday morning to prepare a wedding reception and found the establishment locked. The wedding party arrived a couple hours later and also found the establishment locked, with no explanation. The new owner had accepted full payment for the wedding reception a few days earlier.

>> A couple decades ago, my home church had a major fire on a Friday night that left the building unusable. There were three weddings scheduled in the church on that Saturday alone. The pastor contacted the pastors of the other two parishes in town and made arrangements to conduct the weddings there, but even that soluton was not without problems.

Some cruising destinations have a lot more risk than others when it comes to planning a wedding ashore during a port of call. There's always some possibility that a ship could miss a port of call while responding to a distress call from another vessel or due to a mechanical breakdown, but these occurrances probably happen no more often than incidents like the two that I summarized above. There's a lot more risk of a ship not making a scheduled port of call during hurricane season in the Caribbean, for example, because a major hurricane can close ports of call to cruise ships for several months.

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Passenger

You may be taking a chance. I was on a cruise from New york to Bermuda,
due to hurricane Franklin we were re-routed to Canada. This couple in front of us checking in were to be married in Bermuda. They even had some guests who flew to Bermuda that they were going to meet up with. I felt so bad for this poor bride she was crying the entire cruise, this was the first time I was ever re-routed on a cruise and never even thought it could happen. I guess she didn't either. I got married in Walt Disney World in Florida, and I highly recomend it. My family and friends still talk about it 6 years later.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Admiral

weimviz,

You may be taking a chance. I was on a cruise from New york to Bermuda,
due to hurricane Franklin we were re-routed to Canada. This couple in front of us checking in were to be married in Bermuda. They even had some guests who flew to Bermuda that they were going to meet up with. I felt so bad for this poor bride she was crying the entire cruise, this was the first time I was ever re-routed on a cruise and never even thought it could happen. I guess she didn't either. I got married in Walt Disney World in Florida, and I highly recomend it. My family and friends still talk about it 6 years later.

Uh-huh.

And what about the couple planning a wedding at Disney World, only to have a major hurricane blow through on the day before the wedding, when they all of their guests were scheduled to arrive?

Yes, it HAS happened -- more than once!

No matter what your plans, you pay your money and you take your chances.

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Then don't book during hurricane season, as I did.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

weimviz,

Then don't book during hurricane season, as I did.

Yes, that's definitely the more sound advice! ;-)

Norm.