Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default "Celebrity Escapes" Adults Only Cruises

I just got off the phone with a Celebrity customer service rep who confirmed that Celebrity has planned four "adult only" cruises, i.e., the minimum age to book is 21. Seems as though they're testing the waters to see if there's a market, and while I feel parents have every right to vacation with their kids (and vice-versa!) it's also great to have a choice about whether or not to cruise with kids and teens.
Sail dates are 9/23 on Millennium, 11 days, 10/25 on Mercury, 7 days, 11/17 on Horizon, 7 days, all Caribbean, and 11/28 on Infinity, 10 days, Honolulu to Ensenada.

Isn't it nice to have choices?
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:16 PM
AR

Default Re: "Celebrity Escapes" Adults Only Crui

The mind boggles at what they might do to adapt the entertainment and activities to the special "no kids" runs. . .

How about filling the kids pool with whipped cream and inviting all the grownups to make human sundaes?

The nannycam channel on the in-cabin TV system could be converted to those special low-budget movies like "Deep Ocean," and "The Devil and Miss Deep Blue Sea."

The Broadway revues in the theater could feature "Hair," and the standup comic could do the jokes he's always wanted to do.

Let's make the "X" on those funnels mean something besides Chandris!

AR
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Heavy sigh....

Errrata: For "Adult" read "Grownup" throughout.
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Erratum: For "Adult" read "Grownup" throughout; for "errrata" read "errata" throughout.

Uh, is there an edit function on this thing?
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Gees AR
Having taught for 33 yrs. and having raised successfully 4 young men..26, 24,22, and 20...the idea of no children is appealing and I do not thing it equates to 'x-rated' activities...just a break from the every day world we live in...hope you see the 'light'.
Old February 20th, 2002, 09:14 PM
AR

Gees Bill

Having been in the communication business for 33 yrs. and having raised successfully 2 young men..28 and 24...

I was just kidding around, being a little silly. It happens.

AR
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:55 AM
David Starkey

Personally I never thought Celebrity had that many "kids" on board to start with . At least not on any of the 9 Celebrity cruises I have taken. Thats just my opinion.
Old February 21st, 2002, 01:38 PM
AR

Compared to other lines, I think you're right.

Celebrity seems to appeal to an older crowd. What may be happening is that the focus groups are showing that older people have less tolerance for kids (they forget what it was like when theirs were growing up--or they never had any), and they don't want them anywhere in sight.

Personally, despite the fact that I'm old and decrepit, I love having well-behaved kids around.

Didn't the dear departed Renaissance have a total ban on kids? I wonder what part--if any--that played in their failure.

AR
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:36 PM
Babette

Lucky you.......most of mine seemed to be filled to the brim!!!

The demise of Renaissance was due to:

Under capitalization
Originally not allowing booking thru travel agents
Lack of inexpensive and frequent airlift to its far off destinations
Lack of US port
Old February 21st, 2002, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Personally I think a couple of "adult only" cruises a year is a great idea.....gives those of us who like kids, but like to get away once in a while a choice!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 08:35 AM
David Starkey

I don't like the idea of "excluding" anyone. I am not advocating a ship full of "kids" but lets face it, life is full of people of all ages, shapes, and sizes and I sometimes find" kids" behave better than adults. (I am taking for granted that the parents on these cruises are in control of thier kids and that the kids know how to act in public) I have taken my two (late teen boys) on cruises since they were each 5 years old and never have they done anything other than behave themselves. Infact, many senior citizens have complemented the boys and parents for how well behaved they are.
I have been on cruises(on the old Premier Cruises) that kids have been abandon by their parents and allowed to do anything they want. In most of those cases I found the parents"undesirable" or there own behavior suspect......Lets face it ...if the parents cut in line and are loud and rude and dont know how to respect fellow passengers....how will the kids know?
Again....I like the "mix of passengers".......thats life...thats what makes cruising interesting...meeting new people.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Ken
Apologies here....must have been in a "foul" mood after watching Olympics most of the day and getting "antsy" about our first cruise in 2 weeks...Galaxy...March 8...appears only 5 couples are on board according to this and another posting board...
Bill
Old February 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Sorry,
Did I say Ken?...must be still hung-over after celebrating Canada hockey win last nite...AR...I meant you...
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bring it on !!!!! As the parent of a 16 yr. old I absolutely love the idea. She has been on 2 cruises with us and will be on the 13 day cruise this summer on the Constellation. However, adults only sounds heavenly. Best of luck to Celebrity with this idea.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to pbenjamin

I see this as a very encouraging trend. I'm not sure that I would want to book one of these cruises, but many of the complaints and conflicts that I see in these forums where cruising is discussed relate to the cruiselines trying to be all things to all people. There are people that want to dress for dinner, people who don't, people who want to bring their infant, people whose worse nightmare is having tablemates with an infant, people who smoke, people who hate smoke, people who enjoy hearing Who Let the Dogs Out once every two hours, etc.

As long as the cruiselines try to attract all of these people onto the same ship there are going to be problems. But there are so many ships and sailings that the cruiselines can afford to attempt to attract more of a niche group onto a specific sailing. If there is a market for it, it will succeed. If I am uptight about tieless people in Dockers on formal nights I might just seek out a cruise which the cruiseline promotes as being more formal. If you don't want to be confronted with somebody dipping their diaper clad darling in the hot tub, you might want to book one of these Adults Only cruises.

Exclusionary, sure, but we all want to "get away from it all" and maybe, just maybe, some of us are precisely what some others of us are trying to get away from.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Great response, pbenjamin. You expressed my exact sentiments.
Old February 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM
jcpc

I think it's a great idea. I also notice that Celebrity is planning these sailings during the season when you're not likely to find too many kids onboard anyway since they should be in school. Celebrity's not dumb....they didn't plan one of these adults-only sailings during mid-July!
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Anivory

It's a great idea! They are excluding children for a few sailings. I would love to cruise without children. I don't
have children by choice and I would enjoy dinner without children in the dining room.
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Any cruises to keep "old pharts" off the ship. I don't want kids,... but I don't want tons of golden oldies either.