Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Vern

Default Watch Celeb air arrangements

When you get your tickets from Celebrity, call the airlines to confirm seat assignments. We thought we had everything set months beforehand with all seat assignments where we wanted, only to find upon reciept of tickets 14 days before departure that the return was entirely different (connecting through St. Louis instead of Dallas as originally planned), and no seats assigned from San Juan to St. Louis. Upon arrival at the San Juan airport, we found the flight was seriously oversold, and we were asked to wait at the gate for cancellation seats. Luckily, we were able to board because I was first in line when the podium opened at the gate, but things were pretty tense for a while. If you are EVER told your seat would be assigned at the gate, know this means the flight is oversold and you had better camp at the podium at the gate.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2002, 02:33 PM
kc

Default Re: Watch Celeb air arrangements

I think it is ridiculous the price celebrity charges for an airline ticket. They wanted to charge me over $500 per person to go to Providence, Rhode Island to Baltimore, Maryland, per person when we go on the galaxy in september. I called some airlines? and most of them didnt even have prices yet for that far in advance. So my question is, how do they get away with charging you so much money, when southwest airlines is approximately around $200 round trip, and they run specials where your companion flies free. Thats why I either book my own flight, or worry about getting there myself.
keith
Old February 25th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

All of the previous posts demonstrate the importance of making
your own flight arrangements--if at all possible. You control the
flights, seat arrangements etc.
Old February 25th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Yes, in many circumstances, the cruise line air is much more expensive, however, there are times, when it is cheaper.

Case in point, in August 2000, I took the Crown Princess Trans-Atlantic from Copenhagen to NYC. Princess wanted $600 per person, round trip from Washington, DC for the airfare, I couldn't touch it for that price.

So, even though I usually do my own air, I price first to see if I can indeed get it cheaper.
Old February 25th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Yes, in many circumstances, the cruise line air is much more expensive, however, there are times, when it is cheaper.

Case in point, in August 2000, I took the Crown Princess Trans-Atlantic from Copenhagen to NYC. Princess wanted $600 per person, round trip from Washington, DC for the airfare, I couldn't touch it for that price.

So, even though I usually do my own air, I price first to see if I can indeed get it cheaper.
Old February 25th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Godfather

And I thought $652.00 from Ontario, Ca. was expensive. I'll be a Southwest flyer as usual.
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:08 PM
trilium

We ended up going with Celebrity's air because we couldn't get seats on any flights ourselves! We're going during April vacation. The only seats available OUT of Ft Lauderdale on the second Sunday of vacation, after 11:00 AM were 1st class... going with Celeb's air got us in and out on the days we needed. Cruise air sounds expensive until you can't get flights. Then it's a deal!

We also take cruise air on all cruises that embark outside the US. It's the peace of mind that goes with knowing that they are responsible for getting us caught up to the ship if something "goes wrong." Don't laugh... it happened to us once.
Old February 26th, 2002, 12:17 PM
maryk

Thank you for your caution. Actually the only time we book through Celebrity is when we have "open jaw" flights, i.e. leaving out of one city and arriving in another (for example Honolulu and Vancouver). I've found booking my own flights to be cheaper and I have some "control".
Old February 26th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to pbenjamin

It's even possible sometimes to get a cheaper rate on open jaw arrangements. We are saving $117 pp on Phoenix to San Diego, Fort Lauderdale to Phoenix, by booking it ourselves.