Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Newbie Cruiser

As you may have noticed, I am a "newbie" to cruisemates and to cruising. We leave a week from Saturday, March 9, for a seven day Southern Carribean and cannot wait! We are staying on the Panorama deck, a category 1B so I was wondering if anyone had stayed in a similar room, what it was like, is the view blocked by anything, etc. Also, I hear there is a wine tasting on board. Has anyone attended? What day was it and was there a charge, what type of wines did they taste, etc.

Any other tips for a first timer?

Thanks for any help

Jules
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2002, 12:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Newbie Cruiser

Which ship?
Old February 27th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oops, that would help, eh? Infinity.
Old February 27th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Cheryl172

Jules I just got back Sunday from the Infinity and it was just beautiful! sorry I did not go to the wine tasting but when I dig out my daily itineraries I will let you know what day it was on. I think the most important thing to know is to have a plan for each day if you are going to explore the islands. Either do a ship's tour or hire a cab so you get to see the best of each island. If you just walk to the end of each terminal and look around some of them look pretty disgusting. You need to get out and see the real pretty parts of each island. Also take time to just enjoy the ship it is a joy to stay on. I was in a 2A on the Sky deck and my kids were in an inside room across the hall. Both rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. The ship is done in a contemporary decor with light woods and purple/red public spaces. I didn't get to see all of the ship it's so big! There is so much storage in each stateroom that I was amazed and the bathroom, for a boat, is pretty and also has a sufficient use of space. Turn on your television when you get to your stateroom and channel 21 will tell you everything you need to know about the ship. Try the Aqua spa lunches they were great if you like healthy foods!
Old February 27th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tinytim

Went to wine tasting on the Summit.....there was a charge, not too much......had nice variety, but minimal "tastes".....it was informative for me since i'm not a wine drinker normally.
Old February 28th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the positive feedback, we are so excited to leave! It is nice to hear that the ship is as beautiful as the pictures! Was there anything you particularly enjoyed? Did you eat inthe SS United States?
Old February 28th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Yeoman

The best part of this cruise for me was sitting outside early in the morning and watching the ship approach the island . I would go outside at 7:00 and you could see the island for the next hour getting closer until you docked at 8:00. I would order a pot of coffee from room service the night before ( you cannot order in the morning, you need to give them a time the night before) and it was just a relaxing and beautiful start to the day. Yes I did eat at the United States on the second formal night. That night in the regular dining room they serve lobster and prime rib and we eat thay a lot back home being from New England , so we chose this night to try the U.S. It was very formal and the tables were placed far apart so no one could hear your conversation. The food was worth the extra 25 dollars apiece. It was also nice to have a change from the regular dining room. I had a chicken oriental salad and the veal scallipine, both wonderful and the cheese course which I didn't care for but I willingly tryed it and then the chocolate soufle. It was 5 star dining and I would highly recommend it! The waiters help you through if your unsure of the foods and we also asked for assistance with the proper wine and champagne to order. They were very nice and did not appear put off by the fact that we were not wine connoiseurs. The room was about three quarters full. Whatever night you pick check the time of the show in the celebrity theatre and make sure you can fit it in with dinner, they were all terrific and you shouldn't miss any of them. In the daily agenda you get under your cabin door each night it will tell you what times the show is each night. It changes sometimes 7 and 9 other nights 9 and 11. And if you can't find deck chairs on at sea day go forward to deck 12 and you will find plenty it's hard to find but they're up there and you have bar service there too.