Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
maryk

Default Summit & Infinity Cruise Cancellations!!

You may want to read this link!! AARGH!! They'd better have the Summit fixed for the May 13 cruise or I'm going to mad!!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/pres...p?s=9C433C8B19
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Claudia

Default Re: Summit & Infinity Cruise Cancellations!!

I can't believe this. Last year, we were on the cancelled Millie cruise at spring break and now we were planning(for 14 months) to sail on the Summit on 3/29. Clelbrity is anything but helpful. The 50% of doesn't help at all when they discount from full booking price. I will never sail Celebrity again. They have no idea how to care for customers.
Old March 20th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Claudia

I can't believe this. Last year, we were on the cancelled Millie cruise at spring break and now we were planning(for 14 months) to sail on the Summit on 3/29. Clelbrity is anything but helpful. The 50% of doesn't help at all when they discount from full booking price. I will never sail Celebrity again. They have no idea how to care for customers.
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Maryk

You better hope that it is fixed way before the May 13 Cruise. It is being repaired in Freeeport Bahama and is supposed to be out on 12 April. If all goes according to schedule, it will take the 8 April pax on a shortened 7 day cruise and then depart on the Panama trans canal cruise on 19 April as scheduled. We are on this cruise. If it doesn't make the 19 April departure, it will loose its scheduled spot fot the Panama canal crossing on 24 April and then most likely not make it to Hawaii for your cruise. (it is a long way to Hawaii from Freeport especially if you can't get a scheduled Panama canal crossing.

here are the details from CCL/RCL:
Celebrity Cancels 3 Sailings
More problems for Celebrity's trouble-plagued Millennium class ships. The cruise line just announced that two -- yes, two -- of its three ships are going to enter an unexpected drydock to repair mechanically-related problems. Summit heads into drydock on March 29 and Infinity goes April 13. In both cases propulsion pods are the problem. As Celebrity aficionados will remember, last summer the company had a spate of similar mechanical problems and like then, this newest bout requires cancellation of scheduled cruises during a pretty high season time of year (spring break).

Summit will cancel its March 29 cruise out of Port Everglades and delay (and shorten) the next scheduled voyage, an 11-day trip, into a seven night sailing that departs April 12.

Infinity loses two sailings -- both from San Juan, scheduled for April 13 and 20 departures.

There are more changes as well -- port swapping and the like -- so if you are booked in April on either of the two ships call your travel agent or Celebrity at 1-888-305-4626 for details.

According to a Celebrity statement, the ongoing troubles relate to pods involving ball-bearing units that are wearing out prematurely. This slows ship down, resulting in missed port calls.

Both ships will receive repairs at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, Bahamas.
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:41 PM
kc

WHAT A BUMMER....I am not booked on any of these particular sailings, but I really feel for the people who are. There is nothing worse than looking forward, for so long, to go on a vacation, then have it cancelled so quickly. I think celebrity should refund all the monies, plus give you all a free cruise, since everyone has taken time off, planned accordingly for sitters or whatever.
In my personal opinion, I really do like celebritys ships, but I think when you call their toll free number to speak to customer service and try to get problems solved...they do not treat you well. I have been trying to get my captains club packet since I joined in November, and I finally called them the other day, and told them that if I do not receive the packet within the next week, I was going to call the Better Business Bureau. I received the packet today, 2 days after I threatened them. I hate to threaten, but see how much it worked.
I am very sorry for all those who were booked on those sailings.
Old March 20th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Claudia

Here's an update to my previous complaints.... To Celebrity's credit, we have been rebooked and are happy with the arrangements ----excepy that we had to take a 7 instead of 10 day cruise. We will still incur extra costs because of the fact we'll now need hotels for the extra nibhts(airfare was already booked) Oh well, at least we're cruising..
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Jeff Coudriet

Claudia,

Glad it has worked out better! We had been scheduled on one of the Millie sailings that was cancelled in December 2000. The 1/2 off was off the best price we could find, at least that's what our TA got for us. We ended up going from a Cat 3 to the Royal Suite on the Century a few weeks later. Not too bad!

Jeff
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Ma Bell

Default Re: Re: Summit & Infinity Cruise Cancellations!!

It's 50% off the going rate not the brochure rate. If you can find a great rate + the 50% off it should help to ease the pain. So sorry for all the people affected by the cancelations.
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Hello CruiseMates

As most of you know the cruise March 29 was canceled, 10 day Caribbean on the Summit. This cruise for us was booked a year ago and is one big let down. Well we are turning a lemon dissappointment into lemonade. We now have 4 cruises on hold and need to select one. Same itineray for different dates and ships or Alaska. And one is Hawaii. Nothing like confusing Celebrity Cruise lines. Wife wants shopping and warm weather. Me, a cruise and fun in the sun with what we both like, cruising and meeting new friends.

We will keep you posted.
If nothing else, life throws at you some hard knocks. Just get up and fight back. Never let it get you down. Alternate plans on the spur of the moment can pick your spirits up and ... CRUISE again.

Old March 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
CMac

I was also scheduled for the Summit March 29th cruising. Myself and over 150 people from the city I live in. We have had this planned for well over a year - 45 families. I can't tell you the disappointment we all feel. The refund and a coupon for 50% off doesn't even come close to making me feel better. And in the process I will loose over $300 in airfare and hotel bookings - both non-refundable, non-exchangable. Since this propellor repair is not and emergency repair, I feel they should have waited a few more weeks. Canceling a cruise 9 days before it is to sail is completely unacceptable!
Old March 21st, 2002, 11:34 AM
Yeoman

I don't think you should have to spend any extra money for a shorter cruise! We too are on the 4/8 sailing and were told that we can take the shorter sailing, get 50% off a future cruise and $200 per cabin shipboard credit, or we can get a full refund. Those are the choices! Incredible to me that my compensation for going from 11 to 7, not to mention losing out on ports like Aruba, is only good for $200 per cabin in credit and a coupon for a future cruise. We were on Infinity last year when it was delayed a month and got $300 per person in refund and a 50% off coupon and the cruise wasn't even shortened just put off one month. They are offering less for this!!??!! I understand they may have financial pressures due to the decline in travel that supposedly occurred but as a past Celebrity cruiser I do not believe this is the way to reward my loyalty. Indeed I will likely cruise elsewhere from now on. Given that there are 4 in our party who are working professionals, we can not re-book on short notice unless it is the same time frame - scheduled vacation can't be chnaged that easily. I am thoroughly disgusted.
Old March 21st, 2002, 04:09 PM
donnajo

I think you are mistaken Cathy. I was also booked on the 4/8 sailing. I am being REFUNDED 50% of my cruise fare plus a $200 shipboard credit. It's not 50% off of a future cruise. Just thought I'd clarify. That is a pretty good deal when you think about it.
We are being refunded 1375.00 plus we are getting $200.
Figuring in the shipboard $, we only are paying 588pp for a category 1B balcony cabin.
for a seven day cruise.
They also added back in Key West to the itinerary so we now have:
Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau and Key West.
We then decided to rent a car (we were flying in two days early) to Port Canaveral where we are cruising the Sovereign of the Seas for 4 days at a cost of 500pp.
We didn't want to sit in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 days during spring break!
We still came out ahead and we get to experience two different cruises. I guess vacation is what you make of it.
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:22 PM
Admiral

This is truly an unhappy situation... but, these ships are complex machines. I think Celebrity is doing their best to accommodate those who are discomoded. I wonder what we'd be reading here if Celebrity sailed the ships, knowing there was a problem, and then had a breakdown at sea... or worse. Cathy would have them sail. I wonder if she, or anyone else, thinks that Celebrity would undertake these drydocks if they could have possibly been avoided.
Old March 21st, 2002, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

We re-booked on the May 10th sailing of the Millie. Same class, same itinerary and got a full refundfor the cancelled cruise and 50% off on the Millie departure. Not a bad deal if you are able to time shift without any problems. Anyone else re-book for this cruise ?

Harry from Sunny San Diego
Old March 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Yeoman

Ok, my travel agent called after my post yesterday and said Celebrity changed the offer and it is the 50% off plus the shipboard credit. She was quite clear initially, and upset herself, that it was a coupon for 50% not a refund, so I don't know who was confused, but I was only repeating what I was told. Even so, we are only getting about $400 per person back if we take the cruise because we were already on a 50% coupon because Infinity was delayed in the shipyard last year when we were scheduled on her (it was out of Celebrity's control and understood by us) (In fact, we thought it was to correct the problems with the pods that Millie had previously). Having something happen two years in a row compounded our frustration. As for Ernie's comment that I would prefer them to sail, that's not what I said. Given what I was told, I didn't think the offer was fair. I think if you were told you were being cut from 11 to 7, given $200 per cabin and a discount on a future cruise you may have felt the same; I didn't think they should sail anyway and I didn't say that. I do appreciate Donna's comments and support, she was trying to be helpful but I don't know that I appreciate being scolded by you Ernie.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
marjmy

Harry, we're there with you not cruising in 7 days(mar 29) now cruising in 49 days I believe we are lucky to get on this ship at the price we did, as I took a look this morning and the price went up 700. hmm this is the amount we are saving. Sure hope my TA has no SURPRISES for us.
Glad you were able to re book
Marjmy
Old March 22nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

A group of us were scheduled on the 4/20 Infinity Cruise. In fact, there were 31 people going to see 2 friends of ours get married on the cruise ship. I feel absolutely horrible for the couple who were getting married. This wasn't just a vacation for all of us, it was for a wedding. Our travel agent has not been helpful at all and Celebrity won't talk to any of us individually because we were booked as a group. We have not been able to find any other cruise that sails at the same time that has room for all 31 of us. Many of us can not afford to put out another full payment without receiving our refund. We were told tonight that this could take several weeks.
I was told by a friend that on her last cruise a couple had a similar problem, Royal Carribean had to cancel their cruise. Royal Carribean gave them a full refund PLUS a free cruise...100% discount. Since Royal Carribean and Celebrity are basically the same company, shouldn't we all be getting the same deal?
Old March 23rd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Yeoman

Hi, I feel so bad for you guys, what a dilema, and a bad travel agent to boot...Have you tried to speak with the owner of the manager of the travel agency?...If not you need to do this asap. I work for a travel agency part time, and believe me, if we did this, all these shenanigans, we would be fired...Our manager is a hard working person that demands that all of us...And you know what? She is RIGHT!!!!...Yes problems can happen, but sometimes you have to bend over backwards for your clients, thats the way it is, and should be...They are paying your salary and one should not forget that...Please give the agency a call again, but this time ask for the manager or owner, and see what happens. No one should have to deal with the cruise lines if you have booked with a travel agency, that is their job....Cheryl
Old March 23rd, 2002, 06:58 PM
LG

Default Re: Re: Re: Summit & Infinity Cruise Cancellations!!

Cheryl....

MK and I are on the same cruise... going for our friends wedding... The problem is - WE ARE DEALING WITH THE OWNER/MANAGER etc.... He runs this thing by himself, and we are really pissed.... We had the chance to try for the Century... same week... just out of Fort Lauderdale... our friends were ok with getting married on another ship... He told the bride that she didn't want to go on that ship... it was older and blah blah blah... He is NOT bending over backwards for us...

I even went to a different travel agent on my own, because our told us there were NO rooms on the Century's 4/20 saling that we required.... So this other travel agent made a phone call... pretending to be calling for a new booking... guess what PLENTY OF ROOMS..... Uggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

And you can't tell me with today's technology that they could not have that ship fixed by April 13th &/or April 20th?????? What's that all about???

Thanks for listening... LINDA
Old March 25th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Beginner

From this board I have learned two valuable lessons.......... 1. If it is going to upset me to much to have a particular cruise go into dry dock when it happens to be my scheduled sailing......... Don't book a cruise during the first year that it is sailing. Lesson 2. INSURE INSURE INSURE

Old March 25th, 2002, 08:10 AM
LG

Morning...

Dawn.... Insurance doesn't DO ANYTHING for a cruise that is cancelled by the cruise line/air line etc. - UNLESS for "Financial Hardship or Bad Weather".... So find out the MOST you can before purchasing travel insurance... I paid $112.00 for nothing...

Linda

P.S. The policy was with Travel Guard
Old March 25th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dawn,
Insurance doesn't cover my vacation days that I still have to take on those particular days and have no place to go. And, I did not pick that particular cruise, it was picked for me by the people who were supposed to get married. Yes, it was my choice to go and spend a lot of hard earned money to see 2 very dear friends get married. I am dissappointed that I am not going on the cruise now and the fact that I will be unable to attend their wedding, but I am extremely upset for the couple whose wedding is being ruined.
I also purchased the useless travel insurance which is not covering my airfare.
Old March 26th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Passenger

I am currently cruising on the Summit. We have missed 2 1/2 ports so far, been lied to repeatedly about whats going on and offered an insulting $100 shipboard credit to compensate us. My advice is If you arent allready on a Celebrity ship dont board!
I am a long time celebrity cruiser. They have clearly lost the recipe for customer service. The overall quality has gone downhill and theuy have misplaced their integrity somewhere along the way. I think I will go spend some of $100 credit on a $3.75 beer.