Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2002, 04:13 AM
First Time Limey

Default Disembarking in NYC

Hi everyone - Just a quicky
Can anyone tell me where the Cruise ships dock in Manhattan? - Ive been told there are 2 piers - one midtown and one downtown.....any idea which one the Zenith will be using in May?......and excuse my ignorance (never been to the states before) but will we be sailing past the statue of Liberty? ...
We will be in the Big apple for 3 nights Sat -tues - Hotel Pennsylvania, (which Ive heard terrible reviews of !!!!)
if any experienced NYC'ers could suggest a 'dont miss' itinery or some of the best eating places/bars i would be most grateful.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Disembarking in NYC

We sailed this cruise 2 years ago and the pier was mid-town. We sailed past the Statue of Liberty. Have your camera ready. Beautiful sight. Wonderful Cruise!! Bermuda is so beautiful. Zenith is great. You will have a great time. A favorite restaurant in NY is Carmines on 44th St. between 7th & 8th Ave. It's in the theater district. We were in NY last weekend to see show "The Producers". Love to walk 5th ave. See St.Patricts Catherdral. Central Park. Hope its nice weather.
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Babette

Port of New York cruise piers are on the east side of Manhattan - roughly from 43rd Street to 54th Street. I believe the actual address is 711 12th Avenue.

In any event, from the cruise pier to your hotel is a pretty short hop by taxi... but.....the traffic getting out of the Port area is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Empire State Building... it is a must!!!
Old March 30th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Passenger

The piers are on the west side of Manhattan. Take a double decker bus for seeing all the sights and I believe that you can get on and off at all the sights. Don't miss the UN. Also, the Circle Line will take you around the island by boat-really enjoyable. A favorite of ours, and not too expensive, is Sophia's on W. 45th St.--near Tkts-where you can get 1/2 price tickets for the theater. Many museums to see. Have a ball. Any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask-we are New Yorkers.
Old March 30th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Passenger

You will have a wonderful time in NYC. Take a stroll down down 5th ave from Saks on 48th to the Plaza at 57th. The window shopping is great. Have tea at Henri Bendal
or at the Plaza.
I have stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania last year and unfortunately I have tell you it was one of the worst experiences in my travels. I had an inexpensive room and I looked
across the room and saw a rat. They then gave me a hard time about getting another room. They just wanted to send housekeeping to catch it!!!!!! If possible please look into getting another hotel.
New York is a magical place. Try to see a show. There is a 1/2 price ticket booth in Times Square. You can buy some tickets in the afternoon then go to Carmine's for dinner and the show.
Old March 30th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Disembarking in NYC

You should try to go to the Marriott Marquiw, to their restauant the View. It is located at the top of the hotel. One floor is a restaurant and one floor is a lounge. The entire 2 floors revole completly around, giving you a great view of Manhattan, takes an hour for a complete turn. Just before sunset is the best time...There is a dress code on Saturday evenings. I think they might also have Sunday brunch. Really a nice place to spend some time. Also try to get down to Little Italy and China town; both great neighborhoods with terrific restaurants. Great plays to see in addition to the Producers, are Chicago, Cabaret, Phantom, Le Mis; hope you have a great time!
Old March 30th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Yeoman

You should try to go to the Marriott Marquiw, to their restauant the View. It is located at the top of the hotel. One floor is a restaurant and one floor is a lounge. The entire 2 floors revole completly around, giving you a great view of Manhattan, takes an hour for a complete turn. Just before sunset is the best time...There is a dress code on Saturday evenings. I think they might also have Sunday brunch. Really a nice place to spend some time. Also try to get down to Little Italy and China town; both great neighborhoods with terrific restaurants. Great plays to see in addition to the Producers, are Chicago, Cabaret, Phantom, Le Mis; hope you have a great time!
Old March 31st, 2002, 06:11 PM
AR

Hi Limey:

To break the tie, the piers are definitely on the West side of Manhattan, roughly in the 40's and 50's. You will sail past the Statue of Liberty, on your port side inbound. As you round the southern tip of Manhattan, you will also see the site of the World Trade Center starboard.

It is a short taxi ride from any of the piers to any midtown or downtown hotel. I haven't stayed at the Pennsylvania, but that's intentional. Word to the wise. Many hotels are offering good rates, and I suggest just by way of example that the Marriott downtown in the financial district is having a grand reopening special at very favorable rates. It is a subway or cab ride away from midtown, but a very nice place.

What to see in Manhattan? Dear God. I think a lot depends on whether you're a Londoner or not. If you are, Broadway won't offer as much allure, since it resembles so much the West End. Empire State is great. A trip back to the Statue of Liberty is fun, along with Ellis Island, the famous immigration center. New York's museums are legendary, of course. Pick your flavor. You truly can't go wrong. Spend some time on the net for some good ideas.

Thank you for coming to New York. I was born there, don't live there any more but my kids do. You will enjoy the city and the people. They're both wonderful.

One request: having seen New York, come back and visit other parts of the US as well. Or perhaps you're striking out from New York to see some other places while you're here in May. I hope so. Our short 200+ years has not withered our infinite variety, as some Brit or other once said.

AR
Old April 1st, 2002, 03:40 AM
First Time Limey

..Thanks to all for the info - particularly the Pennsylavia warning....we've changed hotels and are now staying at the Red Roof 32nd street - good price and Looks ok
Cant wait for the Cruise and to finally see NYC - lots of friends have been over and come back raving about it.........I'm sure we'll be equally enamoured.
Cheers
FTL
Old April 2nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
First Time Limey

.........correction!!!....the comfort Inn Midtown - W46th street...definitely not changing again!
Cheers
Limey