Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele
Default Normandie Rest., Summit

I am new to cruising and am interested in having one dinner at the Normandie Restaurant on the Summit when I cruise in Alaska during May. How do you choose which night to go? Do you know what meals will be served at the regular dining room and what you will miss when eating at the alternative restaurant? I have to say I would not like to miss the lobster tail dinner at the regular restaurant. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Normandie Rest., Summit

Hi, Michele ...

The lobster night will probably be the next-to-last night (Captain's Farewell Dinner). At least on 13 other Celeb cruises that's when it was

The lobster is hit-and-run. Flash-frozen. It can be as tough as your Aunt Ortha's orthopedic shoe soles. Or it can be OK.

(I really DID have an Aunt Ortha, and she really DID wear orthopedic shoes.)

I would choose a night when I wouldn't have to rush back from a shore outing and would have plenty of time to relax and get my palate in shape. You will LOVE the experience.

Just to get your appetite going, check this ...

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/Olympic-part2.cfm>

The maitre d' on Millie sternly instructed me to eat VERY lightly at lunchtime.

We're going on an 11-day and plan on TWO nights in the Normandie.

It is a fabulous experience.

Old March 31st, 2002, 05:27 PM
AR

Pamda's right on the button (as usual) about the lobster. I bet Michel Roux rues the day he was forced to put it on the menu, because it's seldom, if ever, fresh (understandable under the circumstances). But cruise ship passengers would probably mutiny if they skipped it, because it's such a traditional meal at sea. Well, if you slather it with butter. . .

In Alaska, the thing not to miss is the night(s) they serve salmon. That's the catch of the day up there, and it is usually out of this world. If the salmon's not fresh in Alaska, well that just ain't right. If you talk to your waiter or the maitre d', you can usually find out what's being served when.

You really can't go wrong any night in the Normandie. If you're on a seven day cruise, make your reservations as soon as you board, because it might book up quickly. Longer cruises tend to be a little looser (more nights available for the same passenger count). Truthfully, if the only nights available when I called were the nights of the welcome dinner and the farewell dinner, I'd foresake one of them and grab a reservation in a heartbeat.

AR
Old April 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Passenger

I try to find out what is serving in the main dinning room, but I also try to schedule it during a semi-formal night since I have to wear a jacket to the Normandie might as well be on a night I have to wear it in the main dinning room.

Old April 1st, 2002, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Normandie Rest., Summit

On my last cruise on the Summit -10 night-I went to the Normandie after boarding and checked the for the nights that are formal , of which there was 3 and booked two of them, not the last formal night which is the lobster/baked alaska night. My attitude is -if I have to dress up I prefer to dress up for the Specialty restaurant rather then the regular dining room. The first formal night is usually not that busy in teh Normandie and you get even more attention from the waiters if that is possible.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Definatly do dinner in the Normandie 1 night! I sailed Nov 10 - 23, 2001 and dinner in the restaurant was one of the best!
For the price you can't go wrong!!!
As far as the negative feedback about the lobster, I disagree 100 %!
I am from New England where lobster is everywhere, and that lobster tail ruled!
enjoy yourself.....the summitt is a beautiful ship!!!