Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Default Groups on Galaxy 10/21 Sailing!!! Lots of them

I have just spoken with Celebrity group department and found out that there are 36 groups on the October 21 sailing out of Baltimore. OK guys is this a potential bad thing? I have only sailed once when there were groups on the ship and I have to be honest, they absolutely took over the ship, no place you could feel that you could call your own that these folks did not hone in on all the action, no chairs ever by the pool, no reservations available in the spa, bad location of dinner table, you know the drill, just felt that I was an outsider. Of course all groups are not like this, but this experience made me a little skiddish. Help please someone make me feel better. We originally booked this cruise when she was sailing out of San Juan and then they moved her to Baltimore, more days of course. How was a gal to know.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2002, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Groups on Galaxy 10/21 Sailing!!! Lots of them

am also going on the cruise on Oct.21 I was wondering why it was selling out so fast. When we booked almost 9 months ago we could only get late seating dinner thought that was strange. My friends and I go on a cruise every year there are 3 of us and when we were checking on cruises every time we checked this one the price was going up so we booked it as soon as we could. Hope to hear from more people going on the cruise. Pat
Old April 1st, 2002, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Groups on Galaxy 10/21 Sailing!!! Lots of them

Pat, thanks for replying. I did talk to the group desk at Celebrity again today and found out there are a couple of travel companies that have their Alotments booked on this cruise. From what I understood from Susan at the group desk, they do not have deposits on lots of these rooms and the time is about to expire that these companies either have to sell the rooms or they will go back out for reservations. I am not sure how this works, there are probably lots of folks out there that can explain it to me, for which I would be greatful.

There are 34 other groups booked though, whether or not they are on deposit or just trying to sell these groups is still to be seen.

I did decide to give it a whirt and just stay where I am. I do think that you made the right decision and that those of us that are booked will have one heck of a time.

Take Care
Would be willing to chat more if you would like to email.
Old April 1st, 2002, 08:40 PM
Babette

Default Re: Groups on Galaxy 10/21 Sailing!!! Lots of them

Okay, I will try to explain it. When the term "groups" is used, it does not necessarily mean an AFFINITY group.. such as Quilters of America... or a Cruisemates Group cruise... or a cruisecritic group cruise or an RTC GGC. It also means a group block of space taken by cruise agents (either individual agencies or large consortiums). These group blocks result in lower fares being offered to regular FIT (Individual cruisers) like
US!!!! by discount cruise brokers.

T/A's who have blocked this space have to get all cabins under deposit by a certain date. If any cabins are unsold by that date, that unsold inventory is returned to Celebrity... and any t/a or individual cruiser who chooses to book through Celebrity can now take advantage of the available inventory.

I hope this makes sense!!! and helps.