Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2002, 03:47 PM
hamlet

Default bringing an iron on board

I plan to bring an iron on board my upcoming Celebrity cruise. I know the cruiselines don't like this for a variety of reasons, but can anybody here tell me if you have RECENTLY brought one on board recently and if you had trouble doing so? Did it get confiscated? If not, did you pack it any certain way or did you bring a certain kind to make it less obvious? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: bringing an iron on board

The" iron police" are not out there on a regular basis. If you must , just pack it in your
checkin bags. If you do this on a regular basis, buy a light weight travel iron.
As we packed for the last cruise, I asked my wife if she has ever in 9 cruises used the travel iron. She said no , so we left it home. Pack carefully and you will not need it.
Old April 11th, 2002, 04:14 PM
First Mate

OK on our first cruise we did that. It really isnt neccessary though because a sunbeam travel steamer is the better solution. Pamdas idea of putting the clothes that you want wrinkle free in dry cleaning plastic wrap works great too. Irons are kinda heavy and could use the storage space for other stuff. If you have too bring your iron make sure you bring a multi power strip with a circuit breaker of sorts. Ohh make sure the iron is a modern one that has auto shut off too.
Old April 11th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I also agree with Rix and the plastic cleaner bags, have never need to iron anything when I pack with them, give that a try and leave the iron at home. I sure don't like to iron when on vacation anyway. ENjoy the cruise :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2002, 06:05 PM
AJ

I bring a small travel iron and/or travel steamer it has never been a problem but just be careful you unplug and then double check that your really did it. I have to try the dry cleaning bag trick on my husbands dress shirts that is usually what I have to iron.
Old April 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think it's living dangerously to bring an iron along. If you must a travel steamer will be just as effective.

Irons are a notorious "accident waiting to happen" home appliance. Why take the chance it will be you who forgets the iron, and starts a fire!

Old April 11th, 2002, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

The number one fear for all cruise lines is FIRE AT SEA. For this reason they forbid passengers from bringing irons on board. There are other ways in keep wrinkles from your clothes, some of which have been noted above. If the cruise lines say not to bring irons aboard for safety reasons, I would think it best to conform to this policy.
Have a great, SAFE, cruise!
Old April 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
kc

If you pack all your clothes tight in a suitcase, and correctly, there will be no reason for an iron, or the bags that everyone is talking about. When I cruised last we had 6 dress pants, 6 dress shirts, and 2 jackets all packed in a garment bag. We traveled 1 week before our cruise, and never opened tha garment bag, when we arrived on the ship, I was a little worried about the clothes in the garment bag, but to my surprise, when we opened the garment bag, the clothes looked the same way they did when we packed it. I hope you have a nice cruise
keith
Old April 11th, 2002, 10:18 PM
susancruzs

I took an iron on my first cruises and never really used it. Travel irons take up valuable space and I agree if you pack carefully, you won't need it. I have one I never use. The plastic bag idea works really well and the old hang your clothes in the bathroom while taking a shower routine does, too. Think twice and then a third time about dragging an iron along. Enjoy your cruise!
Old April 12th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Passenger

A travel iron uses less wattage than a womens curling iron. Why are they not concerned about them? It would seem they are more hazardous than a small iron.
Old April 12th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Just off the Mercury South America, I have a small travel iron that I pack in my check in bags, no problem.
Old April 12th, 2002, 01:30 PM
First Mate

I really think you might want to re-think this. What I do is stage my clothes first. Then I actually load everything into the bag just a few hours before leaving. When i get my
bags I unpack and then if there is anything that is wrinkled I have a very good steamer that works quite well. I just returned from my 21st cruise. Also I do use layers of tissue
between dresses and dress shirts.
Old April 12th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Admiral

As noted above, the real fear is fire at sea. A curling iron will probably rest on a vanity .... people would tend to use their beds as ironing boards. Leaving an iron turned on could be disaster.

So far as men's shirts are concerned, take them to your local laundry and have them "bagged" after folding. It's a small charge, you can put the right socks and tie in the bag, and be much more organized.

It's really a lot easier even if it does cost a few dollars.

Worrying about what other people think about your fashion statments can really cut down on your enjoyment of the cruise.

And the self-appointed fashion police should be keel-hauled. My opinion. Let them spend all their time worrying about whether their pantyhose are the proper color.

If you put everything into plastic dry-cleaners' bags you will never HAVE a wrinkle. And if you do, consider it to be the mark of a world traveller.

Old April 12th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Carole Dunham

There is also a very effective spray you can use to remove wrinkles. If I thought someone had started a fire with an iron while we were at sea, I think I would personally swim over to their lifeboat and drown them! Relax, it's your vacation. who cares about a wrinkel or two.

Carole
Old April 13th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Passenger

My first instinct was to say we just returned from the Infinity 2 weeks ago, I brought a small travel iron, used it twice and was glad I had it.

HOWEVER, after reading the other posts, I agree, its a big risk. And my daughter, in our somewhat tight quarters, didn't realize it had been on (I had already unplugged it) and reached across it on the desk and got a burn on her arm!

For my formal dress, the first day we were on board, I bagged it to be pressed by the ship and it came back BEAUTIFUL. Seems like a better way to go. The ship's laundry does a great job with pressing.

For the clothes I really want to arrive wrinkle-free, I have them professionally pressed and keep them in the dry cleaners plastic and am always pleasantly surprised at how well they do.

I also like the wrinkle-free look (not when I'm camping!) so I am sympathetic to the dilemma. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old April 13th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Marcella

Default Re: Re: bringing an iron on board

You can fight wrinkles way before the packing by buying wrinkle-free clothing at places such as Magellan's, Orvis and L.L. Bean.
Old April 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Admiral

I'd be swimming right next to Carole with a gaff hook to pull the person out of the lifeboat. Carole would be in charge of the drowning.

I think getting a grip is in order. EVERYONE packed their clothes in suitcases before getting on the ship. Some have travelled many, many miles.

EVERYONE is in the same boat (ship).

As a proponent of the professional pressing/dry cleaners' bag method of packing I can say that I dragged a linen (LINEN!) suit halfway around the world ... from New York to Singapore ... and it stayed in a suitcase for four (FOUR!) days. When I finally put it on there was not a single wrinkle. Linen being linen, it was quite wrinkled after I'd worn it for an hour or so.

Good, careful packing is the clue and not worrying is the way to enjoy your cruise.