Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Default captains club

My wife and I joined the Captains Club last February, and were told we would get a video of our choice and other perks. We were assigned our membership numbers. We then book the Summit for7 /12 2002. We still have got nothing.. Anybody know how to e-mail Celebrity? Don't you get and upgrade for joining?
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou Ann
Default Re: captains club

You should go to www.cruisecritic.com. Go to the message boards and read all the problems with Captains Club. You will find it informative.
Old April 27th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

We just received our captain's club membership packet yesterday. I call the captain's club membership number and complained that I had joined in February and had not received our packet, they sent it overnight to us. It might be worth a phone call in order to get it and don't take no for an answer. We are leaving for the Summit in two weeks and told them the delay was not acceptable. Here is the number 1-800-760-0654, good luck.

Old April 27th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: captains club

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise (we've taken 10 other cruises) and it will be on the new Constellation. Since it isn't in service yet, there is no information about it but I understand that it will be the same as its sister ships.

My question is, what is the Captain's Club? When we've sailed other lines, we became part of their "club" after the first cruise. From what I've read here, it sounds like something one can apply for prior to sailing. Is that so?
Old April 27th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Frank,
I too will be taking my first Celebrity cruise this summer and from I have heard, once you are onboard you will get the chance to sign up for the captain's club for $35 for the whole family, lifetime membership. There are some perks that do come with the membership, including special embarkment and some others, don't have all the details. Have heard its is worth the money to join, am going to join up myself.

Hope you enjoy your Celebrity cruise, do let us know all about it, I don't cruise until Aug., thanks.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 27th, 2002, 03:49 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Century in 1997 and joined the club while on board. We were invited to a cocktail party for Club membrs only. We are sailing the Constellation in Nov. The most recent newsletter included coupons for $125.00 off a 7 night cruise and $250 off a longer cruise. They state for new bookings only, but they will honor it for any cruise as long as you haven't made final payment. This savings pays for the membership fee of $35.00. There have been some recent problems with people not receiving the Captain's Club packets. As long as you have your membership number from the CC desk you are entitled to all the benefits, even without the Club card.
Old April 27th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Frank

Donna:
Thanks. We don't cruise until September. Does one have to wait until they embark to join or do they send something out with the documents that can be sent in early to qualify for early embarkation?
Frank
Old April 27th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: captains club

Nancy:
I think we got a pretty good deal for what is supposed to be a larger cabin with a veranda - $1799 for 11 nights round trip out of Barcelona to ports in France and Italy on the Constellation. That required full payment so we can't add those discounts you mentioned. As I mentioned in the other post, can a first time Celebrity cruiser join the Captain's club before sailing?
Frank
Old April 27th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Dick Troy

I signed up by phone in January, booked my cruise through AAA, and received an upgrade at the time. However, as of last week, I had received nothing on the CC from Celebrity.
I called their 800 number (got it off the Celebrity site) and they said they'd send the kit right out as our cruise is next month. On Wednesday, we got our video (on the Century, even though we're taking the Galaxy. Out of curiosity, I called: they were out of Galaxy videos. No matter to me: you see one video, you've seen them all. Interestingly, all the people in the videos are glamorous rich folks in their mid-30s. (I wonder when those cruises sail?)
Today we got the Captain's Club News, which basically is a preview of future cruises. What I really want are our CC baggage tags (so we can waltz by all the other folks in line, even though we don't mind standing in line, as long as the ship doesn't sail without us. But what the heck). I expect the tags in the mail next week. If we don't have them, I'll call again. Could it all be more efficient? I suppose so, but I refuse to get my spring wound up over something so minor. Life's too short.
Old April 27th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Frank,
From everything I've heard you actually have to be onboard in order to pay the fee and join, wish it was before too, wouldn't that be nice :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 27th, 2002, 09:12 PM
AR

Let's cut to the chase:

1. You don't need baggage tags, membership cards, videos or anything else to get Captain's Club check in privileges. You need a Captain's Club number, preferably printed into your ticket book, but just the number will get you to the Captain's Club line. Don't worry about the rest of the junk. If the number isn't printed into your ticket book, the card might help. Also, if the number isn't in your book, make sure you tell somebody at check-in or at the purser's desk.

2. As far as I know you can't join before your first cruise, but you can join onboard your first cruise.

3. Captain's Club does include one-category upgrade privileges, but as things stand now there are limitations on how they can be used and, long story short, a good agent should be able to do as well or better for you.

4. Some people like the onboard CC parties, others think they're a bore. Whatever's right for you.

5. They are notoriously slow sending out their little giftie things like tapes, tags, etc. I never got either and I don't care, because unless you collect luggage tags they're unimportant. Getting speedy check-in is what's important.

6. They are apparently in the process of modifying the benefits based on how many cruises you've taken with Celebrity. There is some evidence that they are moving to at least three levels of membership, but there is no info yet on what the added benefits will be as you move up the ladder. I was surprised that they didn't spill the beans in the CC newsletter that we just got. The marketer in me thinks it highly unlikely that the lowest level in the new system will carry fewer benefits than what everybody gets now.

AR
Old April 27th, 2002, 11:34 PM
First Mate

I joined CC 4 weeks before my cruise on the Century. All I had were the #'s written down when I showed up at Port Everglades, and that was all I needed. The best benefit in my opinion is that you get priority disembarkation. No sitting around for 2 hours why thy call every color in a box of crayola crayons except your color. I hate spending 2 hours waiting to get off the boat. Well worth the $35.00 IMHO.
Old April 28th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Ray Dooley

I have been a CC member since my first celebrity cruise in 1995 and am now going on my sixth with Celebrity in August. Back then the card, tags and all came quickly. My brother and his wife came with us on the Alaskan cruise last August and joined on board, they still have not receive anything. I have never gotten any of the upgrades because we seem to always book category 1 or 2 and they don't upgrade them. About all the real benefits are the priority boarding and disembarkation. With all I am reading about Celebrity lately I am becoming increasingly wary. As they have come out with newer and really beautiful ships, the problems, service and other issues seem to be increasing.
Old April 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Some clarification to what was mentioned in the previous post:

First off the upgrades tend to be worthless not just because they do not apply to suites but the CC upgrades do not apply to non-suite balconies either. Somebody on this board already pointed out a few months ago that the written CC upgrade policy was changed to eliminate booking a Cat 2 cabin on the Mercury/Galaxy and at a Cat 3 price. Before then, you could do that.

I have posted a thread on the Cruise Critic board inquiring about the CC club changes and a Celebrity employee has been responding. Because this person is not allowed to give out any information yet, we have received limited answers to a few questions. One thing that we found out was that the 3 tiers in the CC program will be called Classic, Select, and Elite instead of Gold, Platinum, and Diamond. We also found out that the CC club will remain separate from the C&A club for RCCL customers. Also the program will still involve a $35 fee vs free for the C&A club but the CC club perks will be better to partially reflect the fee that is involved. For some reason the implementation of the changes will be made on a ship to ship basis with the Century being converted over on Jun 1. The Celebrity employee seemed to imply that the last ship that will be converted will be the Constellation.
Old April 29th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Frank

Thanks to all who replied.
Old April 30th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Babette

The ships are being converted one by one because the staff of each ship is being trained on a new sofrtware program desisgned specifically for the Captain's Club.
Summit was done the week of 4/12, Millie the week of 4/29. Constellation, naturally, will be the last, since she's the newest and over in Europe.
Old May 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Beginner

HATE TO BREAK THE NEWS BUT YOU DON'T GET SH*T FROM JOINING THE CC. UPGRADES--HA! IT IS A SHAM--BUT IT ALSO DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH. IT DOES GET YOU ON FIRST IF THE IMBARCATION IS BUSY . ALTHOUGH ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SAY YOU ARE CC AND THEY LET YOU GO--KNOW ONE CHECKS IDS.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: Re: captains club

Captain's Club Upgrade.
I'm not sure how this is usually done, but I always keep asking and get my travel agent to keep asking. I was told that I can't upgrade a suite, but the suite did have a reduced price compared to the early booking price. So an upgrade could be a reduced price on a category as well as a full price on a category with an upgrade to a higher category.
It all seems the same to me.