Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Bea Boat

Default will razors and little scissors pass through security at Bal

I would hate to have to wait till I got on ship and have to buy a razor at some ridiculous price. If we have them in a clear plastic bag would that be acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee
Default Re: will razors and little scissors pass through security at

I know manicure scissors are not acceptable as I found out! I didn't even realize I had them in my cosmetic bag when I put it in my carry-on. I was searched and given the choice of: throwing them away by the agent, going to main check in and have them sent to my luggage or having them Fed.-Ex to my home. so into the trash they went! The agent was very nice however!
Old March 13th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Carolina

I think NOT! They confiscate tweezers, scissors, ANYTHING with a point to it; a friend even had his toothpicks (those Stimudents) taken away from him. The only way they will pass is if they are missed for some reason - security error.

Now it makes it doubly difficult in some airports and with some airlines across the country in that bags have to be unlocked. There is not always enough time to get to your bags that are to be checked through to lock them after passing through security, so we have to carry even more on board with us. This is not true of ALL airports or airlines, but check with your individual carrier and port of departurre before hand. Some airports are going through the checked through as well as the carry on bags and it is not always randomly done. Just a kindly reminder. Also, it is not a bad idea, as suggested by one "message poster" to keep a list of each suitcase's contents ON YOUR PERSON - you never know if anything is missing with all the "rooting" they may do.

C-line
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Interesting comments. You are saying that cruise ship security, who are not even scanning your "checked" bags at all, are taking away razors and manicure scissors?
Where? I've cruised 3 times since 9/11 and never had razor, manicure scissors or swiss army knife taken away at the pier. I can understand at the airport, but why would they take this stuff at the pier? Once onboard they will give you a steak knife with your prime ribs. They will stop you from carrying on a manicure scissors but you could have an M16 and a rocket launcher in your checked suitcase? We are not making sense here. I really do not think anyone is taking away personal grooming items from cruise ship passengers at dockside. At airports ,yes. Getting on the ship, certainly not in my experience.
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Bea Boat

Default Re: Re: will razors and little scissors pass through securit

To: Papa Bill,
Did you have your razor and manicure scissors in your carry on or luggage that will be delivered to your cabin door?
Thank you.
Old March 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: will razors and little scissors pass through sec

We stay on land a day or two precruise. These things were packed in my checkins for airline , but by the time we get to the pier they are in the backpack I carry on. Think about this logically. They sell razors and manicure scissors on the ship. What security reason could there be for taking these away from you at the pier when you can then go buy them? They will give you a six inch long staek knife to cut your beef with, why would they take away your 2 " swiss army knife?
Security at the pier and security for an airplane are two different things.
Old April 10th, 2003, 01:59 AM
blueinspades

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: will razors and little scissors pass through

I boarded the Galaxy in Baltimore on the 3/17/03 cruise with 4 inch hair scissors in my carry on luggage. The scissors were found by the screener and examined by an inspector who repacked them in my bag. No problem and no reason given as to why they were ok.
Old April 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I think most people are confusing the original poster's question with airport security rather than cruise port security.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 10th, 2003, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Don't even think about carrying ANYTHING the least bit sharp. In Dec. 2001 my sisters and I made an emergency trip to FL when our dad had a heart attack. We took flights from Dayton OH through Cincy to Tampa and came back from Tampa through Atlanta to
Dayton. One of my sisters had a large leather tote bag which had numeroud pockets. It had been a gift and she didn't realize it came with a teeny, tiny nail scissors in a deep pocket. It kept setting off the machine and they looked and looked in Dayton, Cincy and Tampa and couldn't find anything. BUT she was pulled out of line every time and searched with the wand while someone pawed through her bag. Leaving Atlanta, we thought we were home free, until we looked back as we entered the tunnel to board and she'd been pulled out again. Finally, she boarded after someone found the scissors that the other inspectors (at 3 airports) had missed. They confiscated it, which was no great loss, since she didn't know it was there to begin with. I also saw an inspector open a beautifully wrapped wine set that included a lovely corkscrew and tell the people that they had a choice of trying to track down their checked luggage and packing it or giving it up. They didn't have time to pack it, so they had to surrender it, even though it was part of a Christmas gift they bought for a friend.
The other thing you have to do now is pack all your cameras and film separately in a carry-on bag and show it to the inspectors. I used a large ziplock bag.
They will ask you if you have anything higher than 400 speed. If you do, they rub over it with some kind of chemical wipe. When we left Dayton last Jan. I had a waterproof one-use camera (800 speed) sealed in a foil package (out of the box) and they wiped it AND a 400 speed one-use, my Advantix and all my film, even though it was all 400. We decided they were bored and needed a diversion. Elsewhere, just the 800 was checked. I could've said I didn't have any 800 because there was no lettering on the package and they wouldn't have known the difference.
Bottom line is if you aren't sure--pack it in your checked bag.
Old April 11th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Carole Dunham

Airport security rules are changing all the time. Your best bet is to call the airline a couple of days before you leave and ask them. I know things loosened up considerably between the fall of 2001 and 2003. I carry my blood glucose testing kit and my needles in my carryon luggage without a doctor's note. Nobody so much as blinks an eye.

Carole
Old April 11th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Kathie, packing the scissors and cork screw in packed bag is a great idea. Packing film in a packed bag is a terrible idea. The xrays used on the newest equipment to scan checked bags are 10x the power of those used to scan carryons. Bottom line FILM WILL BE RUINED IN A CHECKED BAG. See the thread I wrote in the chat section on this subject a few weeks ago.
Old April 14th, 2003, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Papa Bill, re-read my post about film--"The other thing you have to do is pack all your film and cameras separately in a carry-on bag and show them to the inspectors. I used a ziplock bag". The operative word being Carry-on.

Sorry my non-sequitur at the end was confusing. "Bottom line, if you aren't sure, pack it in a checked bag." I guess I figured everyone would know I meant things other than film. I didn't proof read as well as I usually do.