Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska Summit sail - find out tomorrow

I'm new to cruises... and tomorrow will decide my fate -- What room will I get on a July 26th Summit cruise to Alaska for my wife and me... a 25th wedding anniversary celebration (once in a lifetime kind of stuff). The thing is . . . the boat is already so booked, there was only *one* room I could find on the whole ship that had a veranda... and it's a 1A on that 9th floor that everybody complains about ("no sun", "salt spray", "noise on the ceiling from the chairs", etc.). Still... it seems worth it to be able to actually see out rather than look through a porthole, right?

So tomorrow the AMEX people are supposed to try to link up with the Celebrity people to tell me if my freq. flyer miles (332,000 of them) can buy that room. Everybody pray we get the veranda... if it's meant to be! :-)

Next question: What's the best way to get from the Vancouver port to the Vancouver airport? If my flight leaves at 1:40pm should I (Could I?) try to do the "city tour" thing in Vancouver (which starts at the port and ends at the airport)?
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Summit sail - find out tomorrow

We got it!
The room is on the 9th floor, port side, Cat 1A. Like I said, I know there will probably be some chair noise from upstairs, but we figured it was worth it to get out of the basement.

So... about that transfer from port to airport in Vancouver... How do I even know for sure exactly where the Summit will dock in Vancouver?
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Summit sail - find out tomorrow

Hello!
I just want to let you know that you will have a grand old time on the Summitt.
I celebrated my honeymoon on that wonderful ship and connot say enough good things about it!
We sailed from Ft lauderdale to Key west, Cozumel, Panama, Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman and Aruba!
This was our first cruise and it will definately not be our last!
whatever you do, you MUST MUST MUST have dinner at least once in the Normandie restaurant. An experience you will never forget!
have a wonderful time!
By the way, the 9th floor is GREAT! Don't let anyone fool you!
Have a wonderful time!!!!!
Old May 14th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Tom W

Which room on the 9th floor??? We have our rom , on the Summit for Nov of this year. I would be interested in nowing which one and how you liked it.
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Summit sail

HI Debbie. Thanks for writing... You said...
"This was our first cruise and it will definately not be our last!"

Glad to hear it. I'm encouraged, then, about Celebrity.

You also recommended, "you MUST MUST MUST have dinner at least once in the Normandie restaurant...."

Actually, we were going to skip that. $25 each sounded steep. I'm sure it's nice though. The thing is, we're not really big "eating out" people. I'm sure the *other* 5 or 6 meals per day will be plenty "big-time" for us.

"By the way, the 9th floor is GREAT! Don't let anyone fool you!"

Yesssssssssssss! Music to my ears.

Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Summit sail

Tom you asked...
"Which room on the 9th floor??? We have our rom , on the Summit for Nov of this year. I would be interested in knowing which one and how you liked it"

We're on 9079... somewhere in the middle. Like I said, we've heard some horror stories of the chair movement on the floor above, but "Debbie" wrote that it had not been a problem for her.

I locked down the airfare today. So far, I've purchased everything with miles... the entire cruise for two . . . plus first class/business class American Airlines for two from Louisville. Now I have to go to work on the transfers.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Doug
Old May 15th, 2002, 06:29 AM
David Chiang

Doug In Louisville,

We were on the sister ship, Infinity, back in February in cabin 8166. On the same trip, my parents had a Cat 1A (9127) and really enjoyed it. Your cabin and balcony will be great for Alaska.

We went on the Galaxy for our Alaska cruise back in 2000. In regards to your City tour question, it will be tight trying to squeeze a decent tour in prior to a 1:40pm flight. I am saying that because of the requirement to be at the airport 2-3 hrs early for international flights and that the airport is 20-30 minutes away from downtown Vancouver. Also there is alot of city tour to cover. A compromise might be to hire a taxi from the pier to show you around town for 1-2 hrs before taking you on to the airport.

Incidentally, we live in Louisville (KY), too.
Old May 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alaska Summit sail - find out tomorrow

Thanks for the response, David. I was glad to hear that your parents' 9127 cabin worked out okay. LIke I said... I was worried about deck chair noise on the ceiling, but haven't heard anyone here complain.

You wrote...
"it will be tight trying to squeeze a decent tour in prior to a 1:40pm flight. ...A compromise might be to hire a taxi from the pier to show you around town for 1-2 hrs before taking you on to the airport."

That's probably what we'll do then, David. THanks.

So... you're from Louisville too??? Small world -- in cruising. :-)
Thanks again!
Doug
Old May 24th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Passenger

howdy!

I don't know if you got any response about where the cruise ship docks in relation to the airport, so i'm dropping you a line to let you know. The cruise ship docks at Canada Place which is downtown Vancouver. You definately don't have time to visit Vancouver before having to be at the airport, as the airport is probably half hour away and you need lots of time to check in. however, nearby to Canada Place where you dock, there are a number of places you could check out without taking a whole city tour. There is Gastown which is full of quaint little shops and a real ambiance to it. Also perhaps a 10 minute taxi ride (if that) would take you to Stanley Park and the Aquarium, although you probably couldn't fully soak up the whole thing before having to head to the airport. Close by Gastown (a few blocks away) is Chinatown...i haven't been there since I was 16 yrs old and my friends and I were chased out of there by a scary old man with one eye who threatened to kill us, but who knows, it might have been just a one time thing!
Other than that, there is an Oriental Gardens nearby and lots of shopping, but personally, there aren't alot of "things to see" in downtown Vancouver..

Canada Place, where you dock, is very neat...you should at least check that out before heading to the airport!

regards,
nicole
Old May 24th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska docking

Nicole, thanks for writing...
You said..
"....Canada Place, where you dock, is very neat...you should at least check that out before heading to the airport..."

Sounds great! That's what we'll do.
Thanks!
Doug

Old May 25th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Ray Dooley

Default Re: Alaska docking

Doug, I just read through all your posts from the first, waiting to see if you would get tht room. I am so happy for you, I still remember the excitement after i booked my first cruise, 6 months early, I felt i couldn't sleep for six months!! We loved it so much that most of our vacations are cruises (6). We did the Infinity to Alaska last August and had room 9189. There wasn't any noise from above. The only sound was ocassional "bangs" which I think was from waves hitting the side of the ship. I agree you won't have time to tour Vancouver but Canada Place is nice. We went out a few days before to do Seattle,Victoria,and Vancouver in case we never get out that way again (we are in NYC) Enjoy, you will definately want to cruise again!! Ray
Old May 25th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Default AMEX lost my room

Ray, after all that... (getting the room), now I've learned from Celebrity that AMEX didn't send over my points in a timely fashion . . . so Celebrity cancelled it!!! AMEX has managed to book a room on the *starboard* side (southbound cruise ), on deck 8 (Panorama deck). So I guess there would be another cabin above us now.. but we lose the port side view, which I presume is the most desirable. I'm going to try to fight them to get something back on the left, but it doesn't look good. The ship is *completely* booked.
Old June 14th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: AMEX lost my room

Doug, which room did you get. My parents are in a starboard side rrom for Summit sailing south on 8/9/02