Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce
Default Age of Passengers

Hello, we are thinking of taking a cruise to Alaska this summer - we are married - in our later 30s have two young kids staying home - we don't want to be on a cruise where everyone is over 60 - we are not big partiers - but like the shows - we are thinking of Celebrity - Infinity ship - is this a good choice - or could some one make another recommendation?
Thanks, Joyce
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Age of Passengers

Hi Joyce,
I'm also going on Celebrity Infinity on Aug. 30th, first time to Alaska too, can't wait. I understand the passengers will be a little older, but I think we'll fit in just fine. I love Princess and RCCL, so I'm also hoping I love Celebrity and I hear the scenery in Alaska is something else.

You may also want to check out the prices we have going for this Cruisemates cruise, they are the lowest I've seen them:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...alaska2002.cfm

Hope you do decide to join us :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to KathyW64

My husband and I are in our late 30's and will be cruising to Alaska on Infinity on July 12. Our children will be cruising with us. They are 6 and 8. How old are your kids?
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:42 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Infinity last July. We are 50 somethings; our tablemates included a pair of newlyweds and another couple in their 30s. There were children, but not excessive numbers. We felt that the passenger mix was quite good. I wouldn't worry.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Age of Passengers

Hi Jim,
Since I will be on Infinity Aug. 30th, wondering how you enjoyed the cruise/ship and seeing Alaska? Any thing I should do on the ship?

for any info.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Ray Dooley

Default Re: Re: Re: Age of Passengers

Hi, we sailed the Infinity last August I believe on the 17th. The age was mixed but mostly 40's and 50's but a fair number of younger and a certainly a good number of 6 to 18yo's. The sights were great, the ship absolutely beautiful and we lucked out on really good weather, mostly in the 60's at all ports. My only disappointment, which i expected was that all our previous cruises (five) were all warm weather cruises with alot of pool activities during the day and dancing and partying around the pool deck at night, midnight buffets and all. Except for the day we sailed it was just a bit too cool for the pool (although a handful of people did indulge) and of course at night the decks were too cool. The Alaskan cruise in my opinion is more for the sights and seeing Alaska than on board activities. The Caribbean and warm area are for partying. (A number of family members went including my 27yo nephew and 25yo wife, they said their friends did not understand why they would go on an Alaskan cruise instead of a mexican or Hawaiian cruise, they are from Ca)
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Age of Passengers

Donna, I posted a review of the trip on Cruisemates last summer; it is still there. While there are certain things about cruising that are getting old -- the baked Alaska thing and the shows --, we enjoyed the Infinity very much. The thalassotherapy pool is great -- go on the first day before others discover it. Later it gets too noisy to hear the new age music that is piped in. For the rest, enjoy the scenery. We didn't have a balcony and so had to use public venues. The Constellation lounge on the top deck is a great place to sit during the day; it only gets crowded for the Hubbard Glacier when it is the premier spot to be. There are some comfortable chairs on the Plaza deck, tucked behind the elevators, that afford a close up look at the sea. We saw orcas from there one evening.
I remember the library being well-stocked, but then I enjoy reading and looking out at the sea. The first full day is a sea-day. There are some spectacular views around midday in the Inside Passage. A great place to go is the open deck above the Constellation Lounge; you can stand on a table to get above the glass windscreen and pretend you are Leonardo de Caprio.
Old May 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Age of Passengers

Hi Jim,
Will definitely check out our review, thanks for the tips, appreaciate it!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
AR

Keep in mind that it's not just the cruise line that is a predictor the demographics of the passengers, but the itinerary and the departure and arrival ports as well.

We've sailed on the Summit twice in the last six months. First in the Caribbean round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. This cruise was overrun with seniors, most from Florida, many of whom were chronic complainers and just plain angry people. Just this month on the Ensenada to Hawaii itinerary on the same ship, it was a much more diverse group, and the seniors who were aboard were generally smart, funny, well-traveled, adventurous, and a pleasure to be around.

I think the reasons for the differences are obvious. Alaska is far more adventurous than the Caribbean in the minds of many seniors. After all, it might be chilly, and you might hit a glacier or get eaten by a bear <g>. Plus you have to fly many miles to unfamiliar cities.

I think the more adventurous the itinerary, the more it involves generally long air hops for most people, the more it involves open jaw air tickets (departing and arriving from different places), the more young and young-at-heart people you'll find on board.

AR