Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2002, 12:12 AM
Ray Dooley

Default Price reduction - quality reduction?

We are booked for the 11 day Millie Caribbean cruise on Aug 12, (our sixth Celebrity cruise). When we booked 2 months ago the category 1A was $2199 pp. About 6 weeks ago I saw it on celebrity website for $1999 and called and they reduced my price without problem. Just yesterday, with my final payment due next week, I saw it for $1700 and again, celebrity reduced my price when i called. I am sometimes critical of celebrity for petty things but they handled this professionally. My question... I realize many people are still scared of flying and cruise ships could be a possible target and folks are staying within the US boarder, in addition Celebrity's problem with the "pods" have been bad publicity and the ecomony still isn't up to par, SO when they reduce prices to fill the ships don't they also have to reduce costs, i.e. service and quality?? I know my first celebrity cruise, the Meridian seven years ago, i did not have one complaint, each cruise then the petty stuff has continued to get worse (although compared to others i feel celebrity is stiil best at these prices). But I for one would rather have paid the original price rather than suffer with reduced quality in food, entertainment, etc. How do others feel??
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2002, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Price reduction - quality reduction?

I think you used exactly the right words when you said... "... I for one don't mind..." paying the higher price. Not too many, at least on the boards, would agree, I fear. There are lots of reasons for price reductions, and it rarely occurs "across the board". It is generally when one of the cruise line's Yield Management Programs flags a particular sailing... and sometimes just a particular category or two on a sailing, as not selling up to predicted levels... and bingo, their revenue control departments will drop the price a bit. Other sailings of the same ship on the same itinerary may remain unchanged, or other cabin grades on the same date. Some may even go up as the line drops promo rates on categories that are selling well. There is nothing unusual about this... the airlines have been using these programs for years to maximize profits from a particular departure.

It is not unique to Celebrity, by any means, and I am sure this kind of pricing is here to stay, Industry-wide. To an extent it is working well, as many ships/lines/departure dates are sailing regularly at well over 100% occupancy. Just don't always expect the "A" menu on board!
Old June 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Passenger

I would think that since it is almost the last min. they reduced prices due to having to many vacancies. So I would ASSUME that they rather have some kind of money coming in for those empty cabins then none at all. I really dont think you will be compromised service. I think when they quote a price, I would think they do it where they are making more than enogh money so they can afford to reduce the prices when the cruise becomes closer. Do you understand what i am trying to say? But I also do understand YOUR concern, at that price you dont want anything compromise. I hope you have a great cruise. I am on the Galaxy on the 11 night eastern caribbean in september...Cant wait
keith
Old June 4th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Frank

I've had the same thing happen to me with Princess. However, if one doesn't catch it and ask, they'll gladly take more of your money.
Old June 5th, 2002, 09:41 AM
AR

As somebody who's been cruising for about 30 years I think it's evident that, except for the ships themselves (which really are exceptional), overall quality has gone downhill as the industry has reoriented itself to the mass market. In the 1970's, service on the "popular priced" lines was far more experienced, personal and refined than it is today. Food was better than Celebrity's is now, and the cruise staff and service staff generally knew your name by the second day. And no one on the staff addressed a group of passengers as "you guys."

Those days are gone. But the fact that you got a discount for a specific cruise isn't going to change the level of service you get. Still, in the aggregate, competition, mass marketing and the commensurate yearly increase in newbuilds is tending to bring service and amenities down to a "mass produced" level. It's the same process, although less austere, that we've seen with the airlines. I've been flying for longer than I've been cruising, and I distinctly remember legroom, meals and civility in coach. I also remember when I wouldn't think of getting on a plane wearing anything less than a coat and tie. But we've willingly sacrificed those things for the lowest airfares on the planet.

If you feel that Celebrity is the best of the popular-priced bunch, but that they're still not giving you the cruise product you want, I guess you'll have to bite the bullet and move up to one of the premium lines.

I've not done that yet, but the day may come. . .

AR
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Price reduction - quality reduction?

Well... Celebrity IS a premium line. I think, AR, you meant move up to a luxury brand.
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:56 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Price reduction - quality reduction?

Yes, exactly. Thanks Ernie. I got my superlatives out of order.

AR
Old June 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Price reduction - quality reduction?

Out of order superlatives can be irksome! ()
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:29 PM
David Starkey

Food quality and selection is really suffering on Celebrity......just got off the Galaxy yesterday on an 11 day Canada-New England iten. (this was our 9th Celeb cruise and we are looking at other lines for our next cruise.) RCI had ruined the excellent food Celebrity used to offer...CHEAP SKATES at RCI or bean counters are at it again.