Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Default Horizon - End of August

Just wondering and worried about encountering rough seas at the end of August from NY to Bermuda. We're sailing August 24th on the Horizon. Anyone had a bad experience that time of year? Any other feedback is much appreciated. Also, anyone else on this sailing? We're a family of 3 and will be travelling with our 7 year-old son. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Horizon - End of August

Having sailed to Bermuda 4 times within that exact week( Our aniversary), I can say that
if there is no hurricane in the forecast, the seas have usually been very calm once you get south of Cape Hatteras.
Old June 13th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Passenger

Last year we did the Philadelphia to Bermuda on the Horizon. We went in October. The sailing that returned the day we left on the Horizon got caught in a hurricane, and they had to delay their departure out of Bermuda. The finally arrived in Philly 5 hours late, so that put our departure time 4 hours back. When we were finally out to sea, the next morning both of us were extremely sea sick, we had to go to the infirmary to get shots to stop the sea sickness. When we arrived at the infirmary, I could not believe all the people that were sea sick. People that have cruised all their lives got really bad sea sickness. One of the crew members told a bunch of us that the previous sailing ,which got caught in a hurricane hardly had people getting sick, as much as the sailing that we were on. They said the seas were much rougher after the hurricane then when sailing in one. Does that make any sense? I didnt think it did, but thats what the crew were saying. So even if you do get caught in one, you never know. But Im sure everything will be fine, the Horizon is a great ship, I love the nights at sea, when you go out on the dark, and you cant sea nothing for miles, just the stars. Its a really amazing sight. Enjoy
keith
Old June 13th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Ray Dooley

My first celebrity cruise was to Bermuda on Celebrity's old meridian which I beleive was the sister ship of the Horizon. That was August 19, 1995. It was a bad hurricane season and the week before the Meridian went to another island because the hurricane hit Bermida. On our trip the next week we caught the tail end the first night and at dinner only half the people showed up. At the show, maybe 30 people were there!! barf bags were available all over the ship and my wife and many many people got sick. The ship was rolling alot. The next morning the seas were smooth, everybody was feeling better and the rest was great. We have sailed Celebrity 6 times and 3 of them was to bermuda at the end of August and never had a rough sea again. They usualy steer clear of the huricanes and will go to the Bahamas or somewhere if a storm is threat to bermuda.
Old June 13th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Have done it many times (maybe eight) and only had rough weather once ... we were following a hurricane. Once we outran one on the way back.

Old June 13th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone!
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Horizon - End of August

We are lokking to sail the horizon aug 2003 with our almost 6 year old son at the time we will set sail. Please let me know what you think as fart as activities for the children. Thanks in advance!!!