Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Choice Anxiety!

Dear Cruisemates,
Don't know if I'm locked in a "senior moment" but it's been about 10 months since our last cruise and the old itch for another has begun to consume my thoughts. The "Love Boat Theme" echoes in my head! Our only cruise line to date has been Princess (5 cruises) and I have been very satisfied. Of course, experiences have varied on each ship, but we have pretty much covered the spectrum of Sun-class, Grand, Crown and Royal. I have been considering Celebrity for some time and have been given tons of advice and recommendations. My dilema is, I hate to give up on a winner and Princess keeps sending me these great deals and beautiful flyers. On top of that, I went to a new TA after mine went belly up after 911, and she was pushing Princess big time over HAL and Celebrity citing sub-par service on HAL and "snooty attitude" on Celebrity. We are not hard to please but either of these would be disappointing after very pleasant cruises on Princess. Then there is the need for a change. After 5 cruises I must admit I would like to see how the other 67% lives. How about some recommendations on a good Fall/Winter cruise of 10-12 days on a Celebrity ship. We have done the Panama Canal on Sun, but the ship will be our primary destination. We already have T-shirts from San Juan to St. Thomas to Curacao to Acapulco.
BTW, The Dawn and Royal have been our two favorites so far. Please help a rapidly ageing guy to break out of the comfort of familiarity and find new freedom in variety. (How fortunate I am to worry about choices among delightful experiences!)

Take care and good cruising.
Bop
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Choice Anxiety!

Hi, Bop ...

One of the things to understand is that TAs will push the cruise line from which they receive the highest commission. (Watch the TAs bash me !!!)

Why not pop (bop?) over to the "Cruise Itineraries" area here on CM and see what looks good on Celeb and HAL even if the ship is your first destination ??? Longer cruises do offer more ports and more T-shirt purchasing experiences.

My husband and I have had almost no complaints about either the Celeb or HAL product after many cruises on both. I give Celebrity a slight nod for the food (particularly the specialty restaurants on the Millie-class ships). HAL gets a nod for the "fig guys" who always remember your name.

I cannot imagine "sub-par" service on HAL or that Celeb is "snooty". Maybe I am a low-expectation snob?

Have fun deciding and if we can help more, just ask !!!

Old June 9th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bop..
Suggest your read my series of articles from the Summit. Here's the link
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...uki-Summit.cfm
If this sounds too stuffy I'll be surprised. I've also read a recent review of the new Constellation, and it sounds like the "attitude" has been carried over.

Princess, HAL, Celeb.. they're all good. Much better than being at home <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 9th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Carole Dunham

I wish, I wish I could cruise in even the next few years. I am one of the great uninsured of this country and I am having very major surgery sometime this fall. I could go to Brazil for it and it would be loads cheaper but it's like my primary physician says, "It isn't a Face Lift, Carole." Regretably he's right so bye, bye the open sea for a few years.

Carole
Old June 10th, 2002, 08:01 AM
barbara11758

My husband and I have been on three Celebrity cruises. Taking our fouth in Oct.
This is a very comfortable line. They are very accommodating. The cruisers are from all backgrounds. Most are friendly and definitely not snobs. Enjoy
Old June 10th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Admiral

We have sailed Celebrity (5), RCi (3), Princess (2) and the last was on the new Carnival Pride. It took a lot for me to try Carnival with all the negative press about the "party crowd". We had lots of fun but were impressed that it was not the beer blast we were led to believe it may be. Our last two cruise on Celebrity we found the food off from our great previous experiences but just like in local restaurants, I know this can happen. What I really did not like was the breakfast & lunch with assigned seating. However, I believe they have changed that at least on port days. Also, the buffet has limited hours unlike Princess or Carnival. You could always find great hot food and a variety on those two lines. The size of cabins was much bigger on Carnival for like categories of outside or with balcony. I like variety of lounges, numerous swimming pools and sun bathing areas, a great spa and gym which Carnival and Celebrity as well as RCI all have. I did not care for Princess' even on the Grand. Entertainment was great on all lines, too. Look at your intinerary and compare the amount of time in port or on Private Islands which can be a relaxing day too for a change of pace. We hope to cruise the new Carnival Legend next year to the exotic Western Caribbean which will be all new ports plus 4 days at sea.
Bon Voyage