Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default Captains Club

I am taking my second Celebrity cruise in a month. Does anyone think that it is beneficial to join the Captain's Club?

Any comments about the pros and cons of this "Captains Club" would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2002, 08:56 PM
JoseMiguel

Default Re: Captains Club

As a Captain's Club member, you might get upgrades worth more than the one-time fee of US$35 you have to pay to join.

This is on top of perks like priority embarkation and disembarkation, and others which you can read about at Celebrity's web site at:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/capt...p?s=A6B64DAD87
Old June 10th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Passenger

yes, you should definately join the captains club. I went on my first celebrity cruise, and joined right when I came home. Then I booked a second cruise on the Galaxy, and got a upgrade, and a really great rate on a 11 night eastern caribbean. I think just the priority embarking and dis embarking are worth the $35 fee....JOIN.
Keith
Old June 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Captains Club

I suppose its worth $35 , but dont expect much. Celebrity has revamped their entire club structure so there is now a tiered class system in the club. i.e. 1-5 cruises....classic, 5-10 cruises... select, and 10-15 ...gold. Furthermore you no longer get the benefit of embarkation and disembarkation at the 'classic' level unless you are grandfathered aka 'a founder member'. I encountered this surprise on a recent cruise on galaxy to New England and was really quite disgusted with them.

On a similar topic......the aquaspa chose to ignore their former policy of 'thalassatherapy pool free with any spa treatment'. Regardless of what treatment you purchased, the pool was extra.

So beware, in this dog eat dog cruise environment if your ship is full expect celebrity to make any changes they wish with no advance notice!
Old June 10th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gbb0131 Send a message via AIM to gbb0131 Send a message via Yahoo to gbb0131
Default Re: Re: Re: Captains Club

The Captain's club is definitely worth the $35 fee. I've been a member since 1994, so it has more than paid for itself. Even with the new tiers if you join before Sept 1 you will be "foundered" and still enjoy the priority embarkation & disembarkation. I've been on 8 cruises with Celebrity, so I'm a "Select" and really excited about the new perks... can't wait for those 2 more cruises to become "Elite".

Greg

Old June 10th, 2002, 01:27 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Captains Club

Kodiak's information is correct but incomplete.

If you join before Sept 1, 2002, you get priority embarkation and disembarkation at the first level of membership (in other words, immediately). If you join after that, you have to wait until your sixth cruise to get it.

The smart move would be to join right away, because priority on and off is generally conceded to be the most important perk, and you can get it from the jump if you sign up now.

AR
Old June 12th, 2002, 03:42 PM
eeinusa

We were able to reduce our Transcanal price another $250 thru a coupon sent out by Celebrity to Club Members. There are other offers out there for non-Club members that allow them to reduce their fare as well, but this just dropped into our laps. Plus, on our Caribbean sailing in March we were able to pay less for a lower-level category and get the one category upgrade. Was it worth the $35 for us - I'd have to say yes.