Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Default Ack! our vacation plans got hijacked

Folks,

My wife and I were in the midst of planning our next cruise on Royal Carribian when my parents called and demanded that we go to Hawaii with them on the 9/13 sailing of Celebrity's Summit (Aww, shucks, darn ). After the initial shock of the thought of seeing the islands again wore off, we came up with several questions that we can't find answers to. Please help.

1) Like I said, we are fans of Royal Carribian. My wife and I are both in our late 20's and we like the types of activities that RC has on board (not that we have much to compare against, this will be our third cruise). We are concerned that Celebrity will not have many activities that we are interested in.

2) The ship leaves from Vancouver. Assuming that we are not in the middle of a heat wave or deep freeze when we leave, will we be able to do anything oustide or will we have to wait a day or two to enjoy the sun. I guess this ties into question 1 in that what if it is cold outside and we can't find anything to do indoors.

3) This one is a general question: What time are the pools open to, particularly the hot tub as we usually like to take a dip after dinner.

4) Is the entertainment on board directly geared toward baby boomers (i.e. 1980's cover bands ect) or is there a mix of entertainment that all age groups can enjoy (comedians, "the newlywed game" ect.).

I guess we would just like to know that we will be able to enjoy ourselves as much on Celebrity as we did on RC (after all they are owned by the same company)

Thanks in advance.

John

PS Good article Kuki
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ack! our vacation plans got hijacked

John,
Check out the reviews that were just posted about this ship for the 5/13 cruise that so many of us did. I can tell you that there is not the amount of activities you are accustomed to on other RCI ships. One of the reviews accused the ship of catering to the Cruisemates group but what really happened is that it was the Cruisemates group that was putting on the activities! The staff was doing nothing to speak of IMHO. The evening shows are wonderful and the ships three piece band "Mozart" are very good but they will be playing mostly music that people in thier 60's are apprecitive of as that is the age group that the ship will mostly be. While there are lots of very nice things about the Summit, it is not a ship with lots of activities at all and without the CM group and our activities I would have been bored out of my skull.
Jim

Old June 11th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

John,
We did that same cruise on RCIs Rhapsody of the Seas a couple years back in the fall. While you won't have rock climbing walls to play on, I'd take that cruise on the Summit in a heart beat.
The show room entertainment will be varied with comedians etc. The lounge entertainment on our recent Hawaii cruise was a bit sleepy, other than in the disco.
Being a long cruise, the rule will probably hold true.. generally older passengers on cruises over 7 days.

All that considered, I'd still jump at the chance. If you decide against going, give your parents my number <G>

Old June 11th, 2002, 03:49 PM
barbara11758

My husband and I (ages 55 & 61) took that cruise last year on the Mercury.
We participated in the newlywed game as did couples in their 20's, 30's, and 80's). All
the couples enjoyed their experience. I have children in their 20's who have been on other cruises. i know that they would enjoy this one. The islands are beautiful and once you get off the ship their are activities for everyone. Make sure to dine in the specialty dining room. The extra charge is really worth it.
Old June 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Passenger

I always get a giggle when ppl have concerns about weather in Canada!!

I can assure you, that the sun does indeed shine in canada! The weather in vancouver right now is bright and sunny, and about 26 degrees C..that would be 79 degress F.

In sept, you might run into a tad bit of rain..but more than likely it should be balmy and sunnny!

Have a good trip..can i fit in your suitcase? My husband and i qwould love to go to hawaii..our vacation time is the same as yours!

nicks
Old June 13th, 2002, 11:16 AM
AR

If the worst should happen and you really are "bored out of your minds," I have a suggestion.

Spend some long hours with your parents, laughing, maybe learning some things about their lives you never knew, maybe sharing some things you want them to know but have never said.

We took a cruise with our kids and three grandparents many years ago. I wish I could do it again, but it's not possible. Don't let opportunities like this pass you by. Value comes in many forms.

AR