Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
David Starkey

Default Management departures at Celebrity

I noticed that Rick Sasso former head of Celebrity and two or three other key people from Celebrity have left the line to join MSC Cruises. Is Royal Caribbean cutting Celebrity brass and replace them with Royal Caribbean staff ?.
I am sure these people will improve things at MSC.

Any thought Celebrity fans.?
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Management departures at Celebrity

Although I routinely travel Celebrity, I must admit I would never consider paying attention to who the CEO was . Rarely would I care who was who in management above the level of Maitre D or cruise director.
It would seem logical that after a number of years, RCCL would begin to consolidate management to achieve some of the economies of the merger of the two lines.
I'll let you know in 4 months if the change in management impacts the quality of my cruise.
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yannis

I never heard of MSC cruise line. Who are they?
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Frequent Cruiser

MSC just had a ship that failed the CDC inspection, I think. Maybe someone can tell us more about that.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Babette

Rick Sasso left Celebrity a couple of years ago. Jack Williams has been the Co-president of both Celebrity and RCL since Rick's departure. The other fellows also have not been with Celebrity in quite some time... except for one gentleman who had recently left Celebrity and gone to HAL.. for a VERY brief stint.

I suppose you could say that Rick has brought with him to MSC, the team that made the "old" Celebrity.

MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Company.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM
David Starkey

Its the "old" Celebirty that made them so special. Now the bean counters in Miami at Royal Carribean chip away at the food budget. Service is still very good on Celebrity, but food selection and quality have decreased over the last few years(IMHO).
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Frequent Cruiser

If you do an internet search, or if you visit another cruise site, you will find a link to a review of the MSC Lirica's Jan. 26, 2004 cruise. It doesn't sound good.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:30 PM
bmct

MSC was based in Europe, selling to a European audience.

They are more in the budget category. If you consider RCI and Carnival to be 3 stars,
HAL and Princess 4 stars, with Celebrity being 5 stars, I would put MSC at 2 starts.

Think of them as the 1976 VW of cruising. Basic transportation and accommodations,
appealing to many on a tight budget.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Frequent Cruiser

The article I read called MSC the "Motel 6" of cruising. It sounds just horrible.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

HI DAVID!!!

Rick Sasso has got to be our best hope of reviving the premium cruise market. He has taken over the North American passenger operation for MSC and he is wasting no time in setting up his front line team. Let's hope he knocks the for a loop!!! Expect to se "CRUISING ITALIAN STYLE" with quality and class.

ROSS
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Babette

My ladies cruising group sailed on MSC's old Melody last year..... and they just loved it.
Many were experienced cruisers.....having sailed on all the major lines.... including Celebrity.