Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Default smoking on the millenium

I'm wondering what the smoking policy is on the millenium. On the Summit, cigar smoking was not allowed on the balconies, but I'm told this is not true on the Millie.
The rules on the Millie seem much more liberal. Have any past cruisers noted a problem along these lines?
paul
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: smoking on the millenium

Celebrity designed the beautiful Michaels Club for the benefit of cigar smokers. What more beautiful surroundings could you want! Cigars stink! Our neighbor on deck 6 Penthouse on the Millennium smoked cigars on his balcony and I couldn't take a deep breath. The smoke came right into our cabin when the door was open. I have ashma and am very alergic to cigarette and cigar smoke. When you can't even tolerate the air you breath on your long awaited vacation, it is not fun. Please be considerate of others around you so everyone can enjoy the cruise.
Bon Voyage
Old June 18th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: smoking on the millenium

To Nanatravel...we had the same trouble with cigar smokers on the summit this spring. But the rules there were no cigars on balconies, so this got worked out. However, I've heard a few negative comments on the smoking on the MIllie, and I guess I'm a bit worried. I like to sleep with the balcony door open and,, like you say, the foul smoke is sucked right into the room.
DId you have any recourse to the problem? DId you call public relations or anyone and ask for help? I've called Celebrity on this and they said that cigar smoking was allowed anywhere on the ship in open spaces, and room balconies were part of that.
paul
Old June 19th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Admiral

I just read our last set of documents, from Summit. (May 13 sailing.)

It seems to be that cigar and pipe smoking is allowed "on the ship's outer decks". To my way of thinking, balconies would be part of that.

Sort of like no-smoking Singapore where you can only smoke when you can see the sky?

I can say that I gave a private party for some friends on Summit in Michael's Club and there was no "stench" whatsover. I took a sensitive non-smoking friend there for the "smell test."

It also tests my imagination that someone would sit on a next-door balcony and smoke cigars all night.

And you can always close your door.

Old June 19th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: smoking on the millenium ..pamda

The no cigar or pipe policy on the summit was clearly stated and enforced onboard.
Each to his own nose... I would call the smell from a cigar a stench. And I would be in the majority.
The late night smoker next door was a crew member .. head of the kitchen , I believe, and 2am was when he got off work.
Closing the balcony door would sort of defeat the purpose of having one, don't you think?
And let me guess... you're a cigar smoker, right?
Old June 19th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Nope ... never smoked a cigar in my life and don't intend to start now.

The reason I chose the most sensitive "nose" I know for "stench patrol" in Michael's Club is exactly what you said. There was a thread about it somewhere else not long ago ... nobody smelled a thing and some were quite surprised. They must have a terrific ventilation system.

Old June 19th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: smoking on the millenium

Crewmembers do not have balcony cabins.
Jim

Old June 20th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: smoking on the millenium

Golly... what a world of disbelivers.... the woman in the cabin next to us got sick and disembarked as we went through the canal. The empty room was offered to this crew member as a perk, I suppose. The woman's husband was a pipe smoker... the crew member was a cigar smoker... just my luck I suppose.
And how does one differentiate between insanity and plain stupidity?
Old June 20th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: smoking on the millenium

I am very familiar with the working of the crew and thier cabin assignments and they are not given passenger cabins as a reward if a passenger leaves. As for the differance between insanity and stupidity, an insane person can tell the differance.......
Jim

Old June 20th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Admiral

As usual, Jim has it right.

Crew are not "upgraded" to empty cabins on any cruise line that I know of.

I can also say that the "Head of the Kitchen" (that would be Executive Chef) is off duty far before 2 AM.

If that's your story and you're sticking with it, who are we to say that you are wrong, except years and years of crusing say it's not very likely.

As to the insanity plea, being somewhat insane is part of the fun working for CruiseMates. Stupidity is not tolerated.

Old June 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Damn... you caught me... I was lying, but if I had got away with it I would have.....
wait a minute... what would I possibly have gained????
Think about it...
Old June 21st, 2002, 12:13 PM
maryk

We couldn't get the Royal Suite on the Zenith last October because the captain was in it! We were on a back to back last October and already had a suite and inquired about the Royal. We were told that it was unavailable for the first leg but was available on the second. Only to find out later, on the second leg, that the captain was in it. So at least the higher ranking officers/crew sometimes do get "regular" cabins.
Old June 21st, 2002, 12:38 PM
First Mate

I do not smoke. My fiance does not smoke. BUT I think the only thing worse then second hand smoke is people constantly complaining about the smoke.
Old June 21st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Gezzzzzzzz thought I was reading the Gripe board ,,,,,,had to double check the board name .

Old June 21st, 2002, 04:49 PM
harborman

Hello all,
Don't know about Millie, however I was on Summit this past Feb. I believe cigars were allowed in Michaels club of course and also on the pool deck and the deck above on whatever side of the ship was designated as the smoking side. Michales club is really something, there is no smell of anything in the room, the air handlers do a terrific job.
One side of the ship is designated as smoking so you may want to find out which side that is and get a room on the other side, if you have a problem with smoke just lean over the divider as ask if they could move to the upper deck. All they can say is no.
I thought kids on cruises only brought out this much energy.
Enjoy the cruise.
Old June 21st, 2002, 08:38 PM
Admiral

No, I do not think you are lying at all. I think that the person next door either lied to you about who he is or you were mistaken as to his status. Whatever the case, this person WAS rude and I think you have a legitimate complaint and you should compose a letter to Celebrity stating that you could not use your balcony due to the fact that the person next door causing offensive smelling air pollution. It doesn't help your past cruise but they may well take your happiness and customer satisfaction into account and make you a very nice offer to compensate your dissatisfaction.
Jim

Old June 21st, 2002, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Hi Mark,
Captain is not crew, he is the Master of the vessel. Even then I am surprised he was in that cabin as his cabin is usually much nicer. The only reason for that would possibly be is that his cabin was undergoing refurbishing/repair or he had special guests in that cabin and was a frequent visitor.
Jim

Old June 22nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Passenger

JIm, you did say that I was lying... and as I said I have absolutely no reason to do this.
And even if I was, your job as a moderator on this board is to promote discussion, not embarass the posters.You should know better.
The man's position was hotel manager, and he was to start his position when we docked in San Diego.
WIth your great wealth of knowledge and expertise you should be able to confirm this with a call or two...
And, if you give a hoot on how you do your job, you could avoid this kind of problem by modifying your language a bit. Instead of stating flat out that 'crew members do not get balcony upgrades', you could try 'golly, I've never heard of this happening, and I've been in the business...etc' .....
The effect would be two-fold... you avoid calling the poster a liar, and you leave the door open just a crack to the possibilty that maybe you could be wrong....as is the case here.
Old June 22nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I normally avoid "smoking threads" since I'm a smoker (not cigars), but .... what the heck.
When I sailed on Millennium (awhile back) and Summit (last month) I didn't note any of the rules for cigar smoking (I wasn't looking for it), but being a smoker I certainly took note of the rules for cigarette smoking.

All the cabins are "smoking allowed" cabins. NCL used to offer non smoking cabins, but not any more. Except for Carnival Paradise, all the major cruise lines have "smoking allowed" cabins, which I'd think would include the balconies.

So, at the moment, except for Paradise, it's NOT POSSIBLE to book a non smoking cabin, or side of the the ship,

One side of the ship's OUTSIDE public decks, bars and lounges are designated smoking areas, and one side non smoking. On the Millennium class ships, in the Rendezvous Lounge, and the Champagne/Martini bars the seperation seems decent because the rooms are large.

Even though I'm a smoker, I don't really understand why the cruise lines don't designate at least some lounges totally non smoking, and others (like Micheal's Club) totally smoking. Makes sense to me.

As to officers and crew being roomed in passenger cabins... I've been on a ship when there have been two Captains onboard. I guess a transition week, prior to one Captain leaving for vacation. I didn't ask where the "new" captain was staying, but I don't imagine they were bunking together<G>. Nor was he likely bunking with other crew down below.

If an officer were next door, and they were smoking a cigar (if its allowed or not), or anything else that annoyed a neighboring passengers, I'm sure a polite request directly to the officer would resolve the situation immediately.

Old June 22nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Please read what I said again. I stated that crew are not assigned balcony cabins, I also stated that they do not get 'upgraded' or placed in passenger cabins as a reward. You also stated that this person was the "head of the kitchen", was upgraded as a reward, and then later the Hotel Manager. I also stated that I do not believe you were lying, you were the one that brought that up and even made a statement that I should not question it even if you were, but instead I said that you were probably mislead by the person occupying that cabin into believing he/she was not what they are. Your post back at me would probably have been deleted if directed at another person as it seems to be a personal attack, I left it up because I think my posts have always been able to stand up for themselves and my skin is pretty tough. I ALSO gave you what I thought was, and still think is good advice on how to handle the situation. Sorry you got upset but I was correcting a statement from you that crewmembers were upgraded to passenger cabins, which isn't correct and I do not want this mistake to be seen as factual.
Jim

Old June 24th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Whoa fellas ...

For the record, I have worked on ships and technically you would both be correct, "crew" people never get passenger cabins especially balconies, but "staff" people certainly do. That encompasses ship's officers, hosts and the entertainers. Yes, I have seen them in balcony cabins.

And if he were a friend of the passenger, it certainly could have been the "head of the kitchen." Not that he is actually allowed in there, but rules do get broken, which is not taken too seriously as long as it is with the consent of the passenger.

Anyway - this isn't a contest. We have cruise trivia for that.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...game/Login.cfm