Old June 19th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Default Galaxy vs. Horizon stability

Important question from all of you cruise professionals Looking to take our first cruise soon....wanted to leave from Baltimore, with it being 30 minutes away. This leaves our only line to choose from as the Celebrity. Big questions....we have 2 young boys. Chase is 2 and Tanner is 6 mos. (we would leave them behind but my youngest is bf'ing).
1. IS IT CRAZY TO TAKE MY 2 BOYS on a 7 to 11 day cruise.....will they get sick? (seasickness)

2. WHICH SHIP IS BETTER FOR THE KID FACTOR....the Galaxy seems to maybe have a phone monitoring system in the cabins and has more pools. But the Horizon is the only one sailing for 7 days.

3. DO THEY EVEN HAVE BABYSITTING SERVICES FOR 2 AND UNDER?-

4. WHICH ROOMS ARE BIG ENOUGH for a pack -n-play without paying top dollar (since we have to pay for 4 people!) I am pretty sure at least a balcony is going to be needed or a seperate area so that our 2 year old can go to sleep on his own.

I know most of you do not travel with kids and these may be difficult questions. Any help or feedback about these 2 ships would be greatly appreciated!! OH...and where do i go to get the good deals. We are VERY flexible with travel dates!

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH....reading y'all's reviews have been very helpful!

Can't wait to be on the seas.....water is in my blood (and i'm a crab sign to boot!)
Amy
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:34 PM
cruznut6

Default Re: Galaxy vs. Horizon stability

Amy

The Galaxy has much more of what you need than the Horizon. The Horizon is 5 years older, has zero balconies, is much smaller ( 46,000 grt vs. 76,000). The Galaxy is much more 'kid" friendly than the Horizon and has more things for children. Don't get me wrong, the Horizon is a wonderful ship too, but not geared towards children as much. I sailed from Baltimore in late October on the Zenith (sister ship to Horizon) and don't think you'll have any problems with seasickness. It was a little rough leaving port, but nothing to cause any discomfort. Regarding your babysitting question, I don't think you can get it for your 6 month old, and I'm not sure about a 2 year old either.
If you have any questions about Celebrity or the Galaxy or Horizon, please feel free to email me. Celebrity is my favorite line and has wonderful food and service, with plenty of room in their cabins and deck space. Hope this helps a little and good luck deciding!

Regards...Bob
Old June 20th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Cruznuts comments are pretty much on target. There are no balcony rooms on Horizon at all and even with the balcony on Galaxy you will feel cramped in their somewhat smallish 172 sq ft rooms. I would suggest looking into one of the larger rooms in the rear of the ship with a window facing aft. These rooms are somewhat larger at about 195 sq ft and will accomodate a family better.

As for stability , Galaxy is a much larger ship but i have been on smaller ones that cruise with less listing, although I havent been on the Horizon herself. Galaxy and her sister ships all seem to have more noise in the aft and more motion than other ships their size, but I wouldnt let that deter you. Unless you are in a severe storm you will probably adjust without much difficulty.

On my cruise out of Baltimore I noticed Galaxy had organized activities for children of all ages in places that seldom intruded on other passengers 'karma'. There were perhaps 30 children aboard and Celebrity made sure to offer them their own personal cruise experience that involved socializing with other children of their ages.

Happy Cruising
Old June 22nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Galaxy vs. Horizon stability

Amy,

I might get some negative responses from what I am about to say, but I want to really be honest with you. IMHO, A cruise is not a great place for infants to be, nor do I believe 2 year olds, either. I have been there and done that, and I would never do it again. I learned the hard way the first time. In all the 17 cruises we have been on, not one would accept children who were not potty trained to join in the activity program. The diapers we had to pack for a long cruise was taking up a great amount of space (and all the other STUFFfor infants). The tropical sun is so hard on the kids, and you would have to be so careful. When in ports, you are pretty much restricted to places that would be good for the kids , which are few.I don't know what you would want to do about the fact that you are breastfeeding your youngest, but I myself would NOT bring my children that age. Since it is your first cruise, I would probably leave the kids with their grandparents and go enjoy yourselves alone. It would seem like a honeymoon! I did that, and although the first day I was almost crying for my baby, I soon got over that when I looked at the parents who had their young children on board and could see the aggrevation they were expressing to the kids. At around 6 pm. every night thereafter I noticed the kids were pretty miserable and I was glad I made the right decision for myself. The cruises from Baltimore which by- the- way, we are leaving in 7 days to go on, are 10 nights long, and that is very long for the young children you have. As my kids got older they just loved cruising and so did we!
Old June 23rd, 2002, 05:02 PM
Jeff Coudriet

Taking a 10/11 day cruise for your first cruise is sometimes not a good idea. What if you don't like cruising? That's a big commitment of time. Give a 3/4 cruise a whirl or a 7 day (there are both out of NYC) and see how it goes!

Jeff
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd do 7 days with kids. We just got off Galaxy and it was rough sailing since you are in the Atlantic (leaving from Baltimore) for a couple of days, many people sea sick or looking for sea sick pills, and 12 days was too long with kids. Galaxy does have a nice staff that work and interact well with the kids tho which was nice. Too many days in a row at sea and the kids started getting bored. Do 7 days and the Horizon is wonderful. We were on it several years ago. Loved it. The Galaxy didn't compare! Hope this helps.
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Galaxy vs. Horizon stability

I agree with Jeff 100%