Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Default post-Sept. offers

Was anyone aboard a ship immediately post Sept. 11th? I'm a magazine writer doing a story on the quick rebound of the cruise industry. I'd heard that Celebrity offered passengers who were already aboard a Sept. 14th sailing on Zenith from Baltimore to Bermuda to prolong their trip for $30 pp, per day on an inside cabin, and $50 for an outside. Anyone receive an offer like this while on a cruise? If so, would you like to speak to me about it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: post-Sept. offers

Dear Mag:

Was aboard a Royal Caribbean Ship, Radiance of the Seas, two weeks after 9/11 and they offered a similiar deal to stay on board for another go around. Unfortunately we had to get home or would have taken them up on the offer

Les
Old July 2nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: post-Sept. offers

Was on board the Infinity during 11/7 week. No offers, but the ship was based in Vancouver Canada and most of the people flying into Vancouver (or Seattle) couldn't make it in due to flight cancellations.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We were on Explorer of the Seas 9/29 sailing. The previous week's passengers had been offered a rate of $350 to stay on for our cruise. We met some who accepted.

We could have stayed on for an extra week for $450, so the rate had already begun creeping up. Unfortunately couldn't take advantage of the offer, as we'd cruised the week before on a different ship, and had get back to my "real" job.

Old July 2nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the 9/29/01 sailing of the Zenith from Baltimore and we were offered that "Stay on board for another go round deal" at the prices you mentioned......didn't take it......they gave us all a 25% off certificate towards our next Celebrity cruise for having to get ourselves to Baltimore (from New Jersey near NYC)....the certiciate is only good until 12/31/02. We lost more than a day in Bermuda because of the long slow trip down the Chesapeake......
Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:03 AM
barbara11758

We were on the Celebrity Mercury sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii on Sept. 28. They had a good offer to stay on the next sailing. Don't remember how much it was but it was good. We couldn't take advantage because we had other plans. Ship seemed quite full and everyone in Hawaii was very appreciative of us continuing with our travel plans.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:54 AM
alli

Dear mag-writer,
We were on board Celebrity's Century 9/15. The ship was empty. Most of us onboard had driven to get onboard. It'll probably remain in memory as my favorite cruise....the passengers on board were respectful of the past week's event...however, they didn't want to discuss it. Not one complaint. People jumped in and joined every activity...We all had to help out the cruise director and his crew as there were so few to choose from.

At the end of the week they offered cabins at fifty dollars a night(ocean view) per double. I was willing to jump, however my husband could not take the next week off. I checked on the price of a single(inside), but it really wasn't worth it.

That week were on board, we talked with a lot of crew members and officers who felt they're industry was going to see a huge drop due to 9/11. I was shocked to see prices return to normal within a few weeks after our 9/15 vacation and more shocked to see cruises sold out through the 'high season'.
I think the cruise industry has benefited .
I'd be happy to talk to you, but you have all my info here.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 06:56 AM
maryk

We sailed on the Zenith, back to back cruise, on October 27, 2002. The ship was originally to leave out of New York but was re-positioned to Baltimore after 9/11. The itinerary originally included a stop in Bermuda but because of the repositioning the Bermuda stop was cancelled.

We were with 2 other couples and we were all upgraded to suites (originally we were in a category 4 cabin and our friends in category 6 cabins); and received 25% off coupons on future sailings in 2003 (coupon expires on 12/31/2002). Not a bad deal.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Passenger

We sailed Oct 7 from San Diego on the RCCL Vision of Seas for 14 day trip thru Panama Canal to Miami. We were offered the outside cabin for $ 50 a day for the return 14 day trip back to San Diego
Old July 4th, 2002, 02:10 PM
jcpc

Default Re: Re: post-Sept. offers

We were on the September 8th sailing of the Zenith - NY to Bermuda. We were in Bermuda on September 11th. I did not hear of any offers to stay onboard for another week at a deeply discounted rate, however, I'm sure if we had asked at Guest Relations we could have gotten a second week for practically nothing. I don't think that Celebrity really had time to react and make this offer to the passengers. They were all too busy trying to figure out the logistics of sailing back into another port rather than NY. However, in my opinion, all passengers on the sailing were extremely eager to get home so I'm not sure too many people would have taken them up on their offer. There were many passengers on the ship from NYC, many of whom were personally affected by the events of 9/11. I think that when we disembarked in Baltimore we were all very happy to be back in the U.S., and very proud to be Americans.
Old July 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Mag,
My wife and I were on the Explorer 9/14 and they offered us to remain onboard for the next week at a rate of $50pp pd. We did not accept because we already had a Triumph cruise scheduled for the next week, 9/21. When we boarded the Triumph we were again offered to remain for the next week at $50pp pd. If we hadn't already been onboard ships for the two weeks prior, we most likely would have taken them up on the offer.
Jim
Community Staff Leader