Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Snorkeling

Is is that hard to get use to using the equipment? First time cruiser, first time snorkeling. Two teenagers. Horizon - 8/10/02
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Snorkeling

If you can breathe, you can snorkel. It's just about that easy.

And what a great time you will have !!!

Old July 8th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Passenger

If possible, I would try out snorkel equipment in a pool first, just to become comfortable with the idea. Snorkelling is quite easy, but if your first experience is in deep water and you find yourself surrounded by fish, it's a bit disconcerting.

If you can borrow some equipment from a friend, try it at home before you go (at an indoor pool or even in a hot tub or bathtub), just to get used to the experience of putting your face in the water and breathing through the tube.

It also helps to make sure the mask fits properly. To test this out, before you get in the water, place the mask firmly on your face, without the snorkel in your mouth, and breath in through your nose. If the mask stays on your face while you are inhaling through your nose, the mask probably fits correctly.

Snorkelling is great! Enjoy!

Brenda
Old July 8th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Let me tag onto Brenda's good advice ...

If you plan on a number of snorkeling outings, you may be better off purchasing your own equipment. You will know that the masks fit, for one thing, and nobody else will have had their mouth on your snorkel. Renting fins is not a problem unless one of you has unusually-sized feet.

And, once you've done it, you'll want to do it again ... and again .... and again.

There are lots of divers around here ... where are you going? Maybe we can give you some tips about great spots.

Old July 8th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Admiral

You are going to my favorate place(Bermuda) on one of my favorate ships (Horizon).
You can now go three for three by taking the best snorkel tour I have ever gone on.
Great for beginners and also for old hands like me.
Jessie James Cruises (web site jessiejames.bm) operates a fantastic afternoon snorkel trip out of Hamilton. The OConner family operates a 3 stop trip using their 50 something foot cruiser Rambler from right behind the area of the Ferry terminal in Hamilton.(the office is down an alley right opposite the cruise pier. They provide all equipment including prescription masks. Three stops. First a tiny island just outside the harbor. Here beginners get a lesson with a knowledgeable instructor. Adcanced snorkelers go around the isand,(some nice fish and coral). Second stop is at the sight of two side by side wrecks made famous as the inspiration for the novel and movie THE DEEP. Instructors from the ship will get in the water with you at this sight and vests and other flotation devices are available for beginners. Third stop is one of the northern most coral reefs on the world. Great color and marine life here. Depth here only 3 to 6 feet despite you are a few miles out (why do you think there are so many wrecks). Finally a nice tour of the shoreline and harbor including commentary.
Tell the OConners' Bill from NY says hi and get them to tell you about the guy who waited 4 years to go out with them(ME).
This family also does most of the ships' excursions (using a smaller boat, two stops and more money).
Great snorkelling at the beach can be found at Tobacco Bay in St. George and at Achilles Bay (left side of Fort St Catherines) with facilities 100 yards away at St Catherines Beach (right side of Ft. St Catherines). We usually "camp" at St Catherines
beach for the day and walk over to snorkel at Achilles Bay.Both are a bit less crowded
than the more popular Tobacco Bay.
Enjoy it, Mrs Bill and I cruise so we can snorkel.