Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

I've learned that Celeb's food wizard, Master Chef Michel Roux, as well as other Celebrity execs, will be onboard the Constellation with us for at least a portion of this sailing.

We'll be participating in some Q& A sessions with them, so why don't you all help me out by supplying some questions you'd like answered!!

I'll be sending back live daily reports from the ship for a CruiseMates Virtual Cruise Report, and will try to include some of the answers as we're sailing.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

ONE QUESTION !!!

Whatever happened to the quail pate' ?????

Old July 21st, 2002, 04:04 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

Whats happened to the food quality over the last 18 months on Celebrity. Pasengers understand that cruise lines have tried dramatic ways to cut corners to save money on ship operations, but what restrictions has Celebrity done as far as food selections and service have been implimented on Celebrity. Have they reduced the cost $ per person for food per day . Loyal Celebrity passengers and those that have sailed with Celebrity for a few years are seeing a reduction in both food selection, quality and taste.
Its one of two things....either Celebrity food quality and selection are going down, or other cruise lines have improved their product to equal to food on Celebrity.
I would love to be able to ask the Chef these questions, hopefully he would be candid and truthfull with his answers.
Passengers are noticing a difference of the food served on Celebrity and those passengers that are loyal to Celebrity are NOT happy with the food decline. Thankfully we have not sceen any service decline.(yet)
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

David.. to tell u the truth I'd have a hard time asking your suggested questions. I sailed the Millennium in 2000, and the Summit this past may, and really saw no such decline in food quality. But I will ask if the ratio of $ spent on food per passenger has changed in the past 2 years.

Old July 22nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Did anyone see the special on Food TV about "Eating on Board?" They dis a short piece about "Millie" that was very well done. They mentioned Michael Roux,etc.

This april, I ate in one of Mr. Roux's restaurants while in London,and it was quite good. I would say better than any cruise ship I am familiar with. I just think it is hard to serve 2000 people with crews that have little life experience with "fine dining." Probably the chefs, sous chefs, and servers on board are given far less training than is really required. To me it is remarkable that they are able to do as well as they do. I know I wouldn't want those jobs, would you/
Old July 22nd, 2002, 09:32 PM
barbara11758

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

I have been on 3 Celebrity cruises, Mercury 1999, Millenium 2000, and Mercury 2001. I found the food to be very consistent more so than most restaurants. That's why we're sailing Constellation 2002. The food at the midnight buffets are unbelievable especially the grand buffet. The question I would like you to ask is what do they do with the leftovers? Are they recycled for other meals?
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kuki... you mentioned in your post that "we'll" be participating in some Q & A's aboard ship. My husband and I will be on the August 31 sailing of the Constellation. I'd like to know exactly who the "we" is. I'll be looking for your reply. Thanks, Sandy
Old July 23rd, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Hi Sandy..

The "we" in my post refers to me, I guess <G>

I am a fortunate to be a part of a larger media group on this sailing, and Celebrity will be setting up the Q&A sessions, schedules to interview Celeb execs and shipboard staff as requested.
Basically a "working" vacation for me, since I'll also be sending back stories daily for our Virtual Cruise Report.

Stay in touch... hopefully we can meet on the ship.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

Kuki,

Anyway you can get me into the Q&A session?? I'd love to sit and here what they have to say. I just love good food. I'll try and come up with some thoughts. Also do you know if they will offer a tour of the galley?? My Wife and I would love to go on a galley tour.

Thanks,
John

38 days and counting.
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can ask Guest Relation for a galley-tour. You must sign in for the tour.

Gitte
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

Hi John,
I don't know how large a media group there is, so I can't say how easy or difficult it would be to try and arrange for you to join in. I can certainly try.
I would think somewhere along the line a tour of the galley would be available... as Gitte says, just check with the Purser's Desk.

Keep in touch, and possible you and Sandy and whoever else from Cruisemates, who's on this sailing, can arrange to meet for a drink.

Old July 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sailing

Kuki... there are others of us that will be on the Constellation - August 31. Three couples, including me and my husband, all live in the Southern Cal area and have met for dinner twice. There are also two other couples we've been corresponding with on cruisecritic.com. We are going to meet on 9/1, the second day out, the first sea day, at 12 noon, for lunch, at the Seaside Grill on the Resort Deck aft. From the ship's diagram, it looks like you go around the Seaside Cafe, to get to the Grill. See you all there.

By the way, it might be interesting to attend that Q & A session. A private galley tour sounds great, too. Seems like you're the one that might be able to arrange it. Let's talk further at lunch. Sandy
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

To answer Barbara's question ...

No. Food is not recycled even though it looks like last night's beef on the lunch buffet.

They engage in the practice of "planovers" just like many housewives do. If you're going to roast "X" amount of turkey, roast more for tomorrow. This also allows the kitchen staff to hit the ground running when doing lunch prep.

Old July 24th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Michel Roux on Aug.31 Constellation sail

Sandy.. you're meeting place is my favorite spot on Millennium class ships...you'll find me sitting out on the stern there pretty often.