Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Default Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

I have never cruised before and booked the Celebrity Horizon to Bermuda in May next year. We booked a Cat. 4 room on the Bermuda deck - 9092, which is towards the back of the boat; however, it offers an unobstructed view.

What is the best location on a boat where you would feel the least amount of movement? Are the higher decks better or worse? Should I be in the middle or is the back of the boat okay?

I have never been on a cruise ship before and have no idea. I know that the seas may be rough going from New York to Bermuda so I am trying to find the best location.

Thanks for any help.

Debbie150
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

There is a slight difference in motion if you are in the center of the ship on a lower deck, but, don't get nuts about it. Horizon sails as smoothly as any ship her size and you may very well encounter little or nothing .
Enjoy your cruise , try not to dwell on the issue. Mrs. Bill had convinced herself she would hate cruising and would always be sea sick,that was 11 cruises ago.
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

Hi Deb,
Just in case, purchase some bonnine at your local pharmacy before you leave, should help in case you do feel sea sick, but you have to take one before you board. Hopefully you will not even need it, good luck and enjoy the first cruise, sure to not be your last!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 9th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

Donna is right...take a Bonnine as soon as you get to the dock....the Atlantic can be a little rough at times......so that way if you are subject to motion sickness you'll be fine...and since it's your first cruise you can have one less thing to be anxious about.....and concentrate on the fun stuff! We've done that trip a few times, it's the greatest!

Enjoy!

Kathy
Old August 9th, 2002, 04:32 PM
cheric

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

I have always gotten seasick and so was afraid of going on a cruise. I bought some bonine and took one every morning with breakfast "just in case". Even though there were some rough seas occasionally I never even got queasy. I don't know if I would have gotten seasick because I didn't give myself the chance to find out. We've booked another cruise for March ... eleven nights this time ... I will take my bonine again. it's one less thing I have to worry about. You will absolutely LOVE taking a cruise. I wish I hadn't had to wait two years to do it again, but now I have something to look forward to and know what to expect.
Old August 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

Take something like Bonine if you think that psychologically it will help. Seasickness on today's stabilized, smooth riding ships is a relative rarity. Does it happen? Sure. Can the seas be rough New York to Bermuda? Sure. But only sometimes. Go, don't worry about it and the chances are you'll be fine. Let us know how it turned out!

Horizon is a great vessel and the Cat. 4's are lovely... regardless of location!
Say hello to that lovely Martini Bar for me!!!
Old August 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Longboysfan

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

And to help even furthur.....

Look at the 5 day forecast for the N.Y.C. area.
That will give you an idea about the sea conditions....

Big storm on land or sea may be moving...

But.... Bermuda is only a 2 day cruise. Then 3 1/2 days on land.
Best first cruise to take if you are not sure.

Good cabin location.

Enjoy...
Old August 14th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can ask your family doctor to prescribe Trans-Scop patches for you. These are small (about 3/4 inch) round, flesh colored patches that go behind your ear and stay on for two-three days. They deliver a continuous dose ot scoplaomine, whcih has enabled me to go on three of my four cruises without any problems (forgot them last cruise but had very big guns prescrription anti-nausea meds with us).

If you can't do the patches, other good prescription anti-nausea meds are compazine (reasonable price) or Zofran (VERY EXPENSIVE - Like $40 per pill - Used for chemotherapy patients).
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Beginner

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my question. I feel alot more confident now regarding the motion sickness. I'll go prepared for the worst and will have a wonderful time.

Thanks again for all your encouragement. Everyone is so nice on these boards.

Debbie
Old August 21st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Sally Owen

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness - 1st Cruise

My family sailed on HORIZON in June...took along Bonine and also got Sea Bands for their psychological effect on my 12 year old....and she was fine on the one rough day we had when coming home....we especially enjoyed Ricky, the saxopone player in the band and the America's Cup Lounge. Have fun!