Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Default Constellation-transAtlantic

Will be sailing on the Constellation Oct. 25. Received the shore excursions booklet and most of the tours seem to involve alot of walking and steps. My husband has difficulty walking and I was wondering if any one had experience in booking their own tours.Our ports are Malaga, Spain, Madera, Gibralter. Would appreciate any info.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Constellation-transAtlantic

Hi, Traveler ...

There is a LOT of walking in those ports.

The main ShoreX from Malaga is to the Alhambra Palace and Generalife gardens along with the city of Granada. Malaga itself is a beautiful city but ... lots of walking, lots of stairs.

I was heartbroken when an older couple who boarded our bus (the only organized ShoreX we took) and got all the way to the Alhambra when the ShoreX person told them they could not handle the walking and would not be allowed to do the tour. My sister and I offered to find wheelchairs for them and push them around but were told we could not for liability reasons.

If by Madeira you mean Funchal, it's a very walkable city, but a big job. We walked it and, together with new friends from the ship, were whipped by the end of the day. (Think age ranges 45-60.) The sister is a national-class roller blader and I'm in pretty good shape myself for an old gal.

The "sky lift" to the top of the mountain in Funchal and the "sleigh ride" back down is NOT to be missed. Too much fun.

We did not port at Gibraltar, so I can't help there. But it was dramatic to sail by at night and see "the rock" all lit up.

I recommend using a GOOGLE.COM search to find out more about your port cities so you can find tour vendors and make your own decisions.

I also recommend for folks with walking problems that they rent a lightweight, portable wheelchair from a local medical supply story and take it along.

Let me know if I can help more.

Old August 17th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Banna

Default Re: Constellation-transAtlantic

Hi,

I am also travelling on the same Cruise and have walking difficulties, unfortunately I do not know about booking tours on the European half of the Cruise but I have started another trans-atlantic cruise from Nassau and had the first day there. We met some people and there were mini-bus taxis just waiting to do Island tours so we shared the cost and had a really good time, The driver took uis to the best places and let us decide how long to stay etc. Much better than following a guide around.

Hope this helps