CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Celebrity "Connect-at-Sea" program (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/208954-celebrity-connect-sea-program.html)

lysolq August 30th, 2002 06:02 AM

Celebrity "Connect-at-Sea" program

We're sailing transatlantic on the Constellation (Oct. 25) and are planning to take along our laptop computer. Celebrity advertises its Connect-at-Sea program which it says allows unlimited internet access from your cabin for $100/week. Contrary to Celebrity's claim, I've been hearing that a) it's only the suites that offer internet hookups - regular inside and outside cabins to not, b)the system works poorly at best, and c)about 1/2 the time it's impossible to connect to the internet at all. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Thanks.

Kuki August 31st, 2002 10:52 AM

Re: Celebrity "Connect-at-Sea" program

I'm on the Constellation now, and have just hooked up the Connect@sea... it's not cablem modem, but seems to be working pretty darn well.

Frank September 1st, 2002 12:37 AM

Re: Re: Celebrity "Connect-at-Sea" program

Kuki wrote:

> I'm on the Constellation now, and have just hooked up the
> Connect@sea... it's not cablem modem, but seems to be working
> pretty darn well.
>
Is there any provision for those who don't have a lap top? For example, if one just wanted to be able to send and/or receive a few messages during the duration of the cruise?
Frank-in-CA

Kuki September 1st, 2002 07:55 AM

Frank.. there is an internet cafe on Deck 4. I didn't check to see what the cost per minute is now.

Anne Campbell September 1st, 2002 10:20 AM

I've sailed transatlantic on another new ship, and we had no problem connecting
to the internet. The problem is that internet charges aboard ship are astronomical. In every port outside the US there are cyber cafes where the charges are minimal. Since the crew uses these, I suggest that you ask them for the nearest computer facility is to port.

Anne Campbell

Frank September 1st, 2002 06:37 PM

Re: Re: Celebrity "Connect-at-Sea" program

Kuki wrote:

> Frank.. there is an internet cafe on Deck 4. I didn't check
> to see what the cost per minute is now.
>
That's great to know. If you have a chance and find out what the price is, that would be nice too. However, just knowing it is available eases my mind. Thanks.
Frank

lysolq September 1st, 2002 07:34 PM

Kuki - Hope you're enjoying your trip. Looking forward to your reviews.
Re Connect@Sea, glad to know it's working well for you. Have you attempted to use AOL Instant Messenger or any of the other instant messenger programs out there? I'd be curious to know if IM works without much of a delay. My husband intends to IM his office while we're on the Constellation, Oct. 25 and hopes he can accomplish that without too much difficulty. Have a wonderful cruise!

Frank September 2nd, 2002 01:59 PM

Another question. Did you have your connect@sea ID before you embarked or do you get it on board. On other cruises, it was part of the documentation so one could give that info to friends and relatives.
Frank-in-CA